Thom Yorke competes with Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garibaldo

The Fly
Apparently Thom Yorke (lead singer of Radiohead) is trying to compete with Bono for the prize of most annoyingly outspoken rock star. Here is his christmas message for the fans:

violence breeds violence

we need a world court

not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware
lecturing us on world security

we need love and understanding and tolerance and good laws that apply to
everyone, upheld by those who are in a position to judge

praying for world peace is not such an embarrassing thing to do anymore
i
think

especially not this christmas.

thank you everybody on w.a.s.t.e. for still listening and sticking with
us
and
understanding the records we make,

i hope your christmas is peaceful and loving and spiritual.
does that sound silly?
don't care.

thom

Watch out Bono!

I love Thom Yorke, but I think Bono is a touch more eloquent.
smile.gif

------------------
If you cannot live together in here, you cannot live together out there, let me tell ya. --Bono

You've got to cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice... --Bono

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
true, so he and Bono do have something in common afterall?

Hey, they both worked on Drop the Debt.

And Bono only forgets words, Thom has learned to keep them very simple. They both sing magnificently.

Originally posted by Elvis:
How'd I get dragged into this?
Ask Thom.

I would but he's busy setting up an international court or something. You know if I can't get Bono's autograph how in the h#*% do you think I will ever talk to Thom about Mr. MacPhisto. Whatever could be the connection there, I would really like to know!

Originally posted by garibaldo:
violence breeds violence

we need a world court

not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware
lecturing us on world security

we need love and understanding and tolerance and good laws that apply to
everyone, upheld by those who are in a position to judge

praying for world peace is not such an embarrassing thing to do anymore
i
think

especially not this christmas.

thank you everybody on w.a.s.t.e. for still listening and sticking with
us
and
understanding the records we make,

i hope your christmas is peaceful and loving and spiritual.
does that sound silly?
don't care.

thom

Well, I think it is a good message. Short and to the point. He could have elaborated a bit more, explaining his ideas. But then again, that is Thom. Mysterious (sometimes to an annoying point). But I can't disagree with his message.

C ya!

Marty (who wonders if he has set in motion the removal of this thread to Free Your Mind)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

His whole statement seems to be filled with bad cliches and pipe dreams. A world court? Now? Is he kidding? "Upheld by those who are in a position to judge"? And who might that be? Perhaps he thinks he is worthy of that role. "Praying for world peace is not such an embarrassing thing to do anymore" When was that ever embarassing? Sometimes I have to wonder about preachy millionaires.....

His whole statement seems to be filled with bad cliches and pipe dreams. A world court? Now? Is he kidding? "Upheld by those who are in a position to judge"? And who might that be? Perhaps he thinks he is worthy of that role.

There have been many efforts to install such a International Court Of Justice. This would replace such ad-hoc courts as there are now for Yugoslavia and Ruanda. But... the USA doesn't want to support it. Although they may believe they are infallible and are the example of righteousness in the world, they are against it. US persons (soldiers) might be accused of war crimes (such as there are genocide, ethnical cleansing, massacering of civilians and rape), but no, US soldiers never do such things. But bad countries may find a way to harass US soldiers, they may find a way to cheat with that International Court that is under the jurisdiction of the United Nations and they may do it in such a way that nobody notices it and then they attack the USA!
rolleyes.gif

So, to answer your questions more specifically: Yes, a world court. Yes, now, although it would have been better if installed yesterday. No, he's not kidding. Under the jurisdiction of the United Nations (and probably based in The Hague, the Netherlands, where the Ruanda and Yugaslavia courts are already based).

Marty

------------------

I think the message sucked. He can keep his opinion of my American President during a time of war to himself. That is just so classless to say that when we have men and woman fighting under Bush for him to have the right to say that. What a DORK. Bono would never have said that he has to much class even if Bush isn't his choice for President.

Well, the world is big enough for Thom Yorke and Bono, so there shouldn't be a problem.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

blah U2Byrd, you defend Bono but trash Thom, and your comments about how he "doesn't have the right to say that" I find very un-American, he can say whatever he wants, just because he doesnt sugar-coat it like Bono, doesn't mean he should be silenced, besides, don't you want to hear your critics, so you can refute them?

Thom Yorke is a really sweet person, just a bit odd...so he has a strange way of saying how he feels
smile.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
besides, don't you want to hear your critics, so you can refute them?

Of course not. See, in America, we just silence people or make them take back what they said if they say something that not everyone agrees with.

*cough*Bill Maher*cough*

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Pate20:
That's Thom: You know what he means, you feel understood without understanding him always. And I like that.
I don't understand what you're saying though

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by U2Byrd:
Bono would never have said that he has to much class even if Bush isn't his choice for President.

Oh yeah?? Maybe not nowadays it seems for some strange reason, but a few years ago I definalety could see it happening. Bono can be quite outspoken and that's what I like(d) about him:

Compare the MTVE awards in Paris around the time Jaques Chirac were testing bombs in the south pacific. Remember what Bono said during one of the acceptance speeches?
"What a night! What a crowd! What a BOMB... What a mistake.. what a wanker you have for a president!"

... I miss good ole Bono.

Popmartijn, get your head out of the clouds. That scenario would only work in a more unified world.

You are right here, it would only work in a more unified world. At this moment, a large part of the world is unified. Unfortunately, one country, pretending to be the example of democracy in the world, does not believe in a united front against international crimes/terrorism. Nevertheless, imagine...

It seems strange that you presented an arguement against having an international court and then ended off your statement by saying we should have one. Shouldn't you have resolved your counter-arguement before coming to that conclusion?

And what an argument I presented against having an international court!
rolleyes.gif

Marty

------------------

garibaldo, why is it that all your posts and threads are negative and always end up in political debate?

Free Your Mind is that way ---------- >

Back
Top Bottom