This song could have become one of the greatest U2 tunes, if....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A Maaaaaaan

The Fly
There are some quite unknowned U2 songs with an amazing potential. They could have become one of the greatest U2 tunes, but U2 never really finished them.

Which songs do you think of?

Walk to the water is such a song, I think. The lyrics are so great and the whole atmosphere is so disturbing.
But the band should have over-worked this song a bit more. :(

Last edited:
Wanderer...it's a great tune and I love Johnny Cash, but if Bono's voice was singing that track, I think we would have one of the finest U2 moments ever. Just my opinion...

North And South Of The River....I think the Staring At The Sun B-Side version never fully showed its potential as it did during the Omagh performance..its a shame it was never immortalised in the studio as a hidden B-Side gem which more people could hear.

ACROB@T said:
North And South Of The River....I think the Staring At The Sun B-Side version never fully showed its potential as it did during the Omagh performance..its a shame it was never immortalised in the studio as a hidden B-Side gem which more people could hear.

I agree with this entire statement.

One Tree Hill IS one of the greatest U2 tunes Ouizy!

Now, if you're talking about "hits", there are a ton of tunes that would have been huge hits if they had been released and promoted as singles. One Tree Hill is one of them. Others include:

Running to Stand Still
Heartland
Ultraviolet (needs a bit heavier guitar mix IMO)
Dirty Day
Kite (even though I'm not fond of it, it is radio-friendly)

Um, the only one of those songs that could've been any kind of hit is "Ultra Violet." Just because the others are nice songs doesn't mean they're mainstream.

A Maaaaaaan said:
Walk to the water is such a song, I think. The lyrics are so great and the whole atmosphere is so disturbing.
But the band should have over-worked this song a bit more. :(

But then Walk to the Water wouldn?t be the precious hidden gem it is, at least for me. My precious hidden gem...I say keep it that way ;)

Did y'know there's about 4 different versions of "North and South of the River"?

One is Christy Moore's version (with guest musicians Bono & The Edge).
Two is Christy Moore's acoustic version which is amazing.
Three - U2's version (a.k.a. the b-side one)
Four - the live Omagh version.

Check it out.

-[z]-

Running to Stand Still
A Celebration
Party Girl (it's kind of a cult thing already)
Dirty Day
The First Time
If God Will Send His Angels
New York (I like it, but it could have been a real rocker)
Salome

Always became Beautiful Day, so it was "over" worked.

Personally, I think they need to re-work Numb, Staring At The Sun, Discotheque and Gone! Bastards, why cant they do exactly what I want them to do! ;)

Seriously though I agree that The Wanderer with Bono on vocals (which was recorded and completed) would be outstanding. Nothing against Johnny but I think the tune would be 10x better with Bono on vocals. Maybe we will get to hear it someday if they ever do a box set.

Oh, and One Tree Hill IS one of U2's great songs!! :) Especially live.

Back
Top Bottom