This pisses me off... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2002, 11:51 AM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

unfortunately, there is no other option. donations were asked for for months, and few people donated. so, elvis is having to switch to where if you want to still have access to all the cool stuff and all the forums you do now, you'll have to pay.
I did not say that I had any other solution, but only that I am confident that the current solution can never work.

Eventually, the two major options (shutting it down now or trying to go entirely premium) will both result in the end of Interference--the latter option is just drawing out the inevitable, which I guess is fine if you want it that way.

I'm just going to wait until an up-and-comer with a more sound financial base begins a similar site. It will happen sooner or, as it seems with the current plan, later.

Old 11-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #22
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 08:22 AM
$35,000 divided by 6 years divided by 12 months is $486 dollars a month for this site.

I asked for some specifics on website traffic and such, and never heard back. I'd just be interested in how much traffic this site generates. Another site I go to alot is www.DVDtalk.com Many more active members and twice as many threads. They do not charge, but have never had avatars, html sig's, So many smilies, etc...They do have ad's however but I know his site as easily twice as much traffic total, so I'd be interested in comparing.

Plus Matt McGee is about the best guy in the U2 fan world as possible so....

Old 11-11-2002, 01:12 PM   #23
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Chrisedge
I asked for some specifics on website traffic and such, and never heard back.
Total interference bandwidth ranges from 200-300 GIGS a month.

This is for the entire site, not just the forum.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:45 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

Total interference bandwidth ranges from 200-300 GIGS a month.

This is for the entire site, not just the forum.
... of which this thread has already occupied about 37,5 megabytes (and that's just for the avatars and graphical sigs). With 400 views that is, for every 100 extra views count 9,5 extra megs.

C ya!

Marty
Old 11-11-2002, 02:46 PM   #25
The Fly

Sorry, I can't stand the word "LURKERS" anymore!

Did you ever consider how many registered people don't have english as their native language? Can you imagine that it's really hard work to post in a foreign language if you don't speak that language too well?

In my opinion it's a bit harsh to call all people who don't post 20 times a day "LURKERS". All this makes it more and more easy for me to say goodbye to this wonderful site although I'm very sad about it at the same time.

Btw: I don't need millions of smilies, signatures, avatars and all that stuff. It's the thoughts that matter. Or as Antoine de Saint Exupery said: "L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

a sad anna
Old 11-11-2002, 02:58 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by annalivia
Sorry, I can't stand the word "LURKERS" anymore!

Did you ever consider how many registered people don't have english as their native language? Can you imagine that it's really hard work to post in a foreign language if you don't speak that language too well?

In my opinion it's a bit harsh to call all people who don't post 20 times a day "LURKERS". All this makes it more and more easy for me to say goodbye to this wonderful site although I'm very sad about it at the same time.
Hmm, maybe my knowledge of English also isn't that well. I've never had a problem with the term 'lurker'. IMO, it's an accepted Internet term (not just here on Interference, but on the whole 'net) for someone who doesn't post much, but is mainly reading. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it's just what it's called.

Of course, now I really had to know the correct meaning for the word and on the Merriam-Webster dictionary site (http://www.m-w.com for those interested) it indeed says that it can have some negative connotations:

Quote:
1 a : to lie in wait in a place of concealment especially for an evil purpose b : to move furtively or inconspicuously c : to persist in staying
2 a : to be concealed but capable of being discovered; specifically : to constitute a latent threat b : to lie hidden
Nevertheless, it IS an accepted Internet term (and I never associated it with something negative).

Quote:

Btw: I don't need millions of smilies, signatures, avatars and all that stuff. It's the thoughts that matter. Or as Antoine de Saint Exupery said: "L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux."

a sad anna
My opinion about this is, I think, already noted.

C ya!

Marty
Old 11-11-2002, 03:58 PM   #27
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

... of which this thread has already occupied about 37,5 megabytes (and that's just for the avatars and graphical sigs). With 400 views that is, for every 100 extra views count 9,5 extra megs.

C ya!

Marty
what I've heard about the money problem so far I would have to say that if Interference was a client of mine I would sugest to try to cut down on the costs instead of trying to increase income

it doesn't seem very likely that the amount of money nesecary to keep the site running the way it is now ($ 5,000 I believe, if I remember the donation threads correctly) will be collected through $ 12 membership fees unless many of the not so frequent readers would subscribe

but - same as with my clients - it's not my place to make the decision what is best in the long run
that decision will have to be made by the owner
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 11-11-2002, 04:10 PM   #28
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
what I've heard about the money problem so far I would have to say that if Interference was a client of mine I would sugest to try to cut down on the costs instead of trying to increase income

it doesn't seem very likely that the amount of money nesecary to keep the site running the way it is now ($ 5,000 I believe, if I remember the donation threads correctly) will be collected through $ 12 membership fees unless many of the not so frequent readers would subscribe

but - same as with my clients - it's not my place to make the decision what is best in the long run
that decision will have to be made by the owner
This is the smartest post about this subject I've seen. Salome hit it on the head! 416 people would be required to join yearly to hit $5000.

If your "last chance" at saving the site would be charging, wouldn't it be worthwhile to shut off all the bandwidth crap (avatars, uploads, sig's) and see what a difference that would make? Joel collected half his "goal" I bet half the bandwidth comes from all the crap loaded and the way vBulletin is configured.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:40 PM   #29
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 07:22 AM
You people really need to READ once in a while. How many times do the same questions have to be answered? The majority of you know nothing about servers, hosting, bandwidth, processors, etc. You're pretty much trying to argue about things you dont know about.

Avatars and smilies and sigs take up very little bandwidth.
Each Avatar is 7kb or less!
Each smilie is like 2kb.. come on.

HTML and text takes up the most bandwidth. Basically the threads. Everytime they are loaded into your browsers and viewed, etc. LURKERS take up bandwidth. Hundreds of thousands of people view this site monthly. And as I just stated before, its not just the forum, its the entire site. Do you not think that Elvis has thought of everything he could to cut costs? This is his last resort. And as for getting enough members to pay for the site... obviously all 12,000 people arent going to pay, so therefore come December 1st, bandwidth will decrease and it should all balance out. No one really knows what's going to happen after December 1st. We just need to wait and see! Joel is not going to let this site go down, trust me. This subject is just so exhausted.

His thread is still stuck at the top for a reason. Actually, both of his threads! There is a Q&A thread there for a reason, use it please.