This is the first U2 album since AB...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dalton

Blue Crack Addict
Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
that I think deserves a 5/5 rating. I am suprised that it didn't get it.

I know a lot of people were going over the top when ATYCLB hit saying that it was a "classic" and what not, but I was never sold. How in the world could this one not get the highest respect and praise?

How dammit? Someone better answer. And my Jonah post was funny....

Dalton said:
By the by ... I think Fast Cars is an amazing song, but I think it is a terrible fit for the end of this album.

But is it officially part of the album? its a bonus track, not part of the tracklist proper.

Sleep Over Jack said:

But is it officially part of the album? its a bonus track, not part of the tracklist proper.

Word. It's like Holy Joe on the Japanese Pop, The Gound Beneath Her Feet on the UK ATYCLB, etc.

U2 weren't the first band to include an extra track on an album that doesn't entirely fit with the overall theme of the album.

Soundgarden did this in 1994 with Superunknown.

Nah its not a 5/5. Too many weaker tracks, A Man and a woman, Yahweh are nothing special. And SYCMIOYO is nowhere near as good as ONE, even though its a decent enough track. This album is not on the same level as Achtung Baby which was ground breaking, but this album is still the best album of the year and no doubt about that. 4/5 is about right. Now POP should have had a 5/5 cos that WAS groundbreaking!:wink:

rjhbonovox said:
Nah its not a 5/5. Too many weaker tracks, A Man and a woman, Yahweh are nothing special. And SYCMIOYO is nowhere near as good as ONE, even though its a decent enough track. This album is not on the same level as Achtung Baby which was ground breaking, but this album is still the best album of the year and no doubt about that. 4/5 is about right. Now POP should have had a 5/5 cos that WAS groundbreaking!:wink:

Nah A Man & A Woman is one of the best tracks on the entire album. Yahweh is probably the weakest IMO.

rjhbonovox said:
Now POP should have had a 5/5 cos that WAS groundbreaking!:wink:

rjhbonovox, I'm soooo close to agreeing with you, but that unfinished element to the album, as much as it adds to the overall package of Pop, really keeps it from 5/5 in my book. I think both Pop and HTDAAB are one track a piece from being all out classics, but I like that little but of breathing room. I feel this leaves us wanting more from them in the future and I wouldn't be one bit suprised if this is intentional strategy by the band. This isn't to say they release weak song, because this might be their strongest album to date.

david said:
U2 weren't the first band to include an extra track on an album that doesn't entirely fit with the overall theme of the album.

Soundgarden did this in 1994 with Superunknown.

LoL another scenario is The Stone Roses Second Coming from 1994....

...brilliant album, has 99 tracks, from about track 12 to 89 they are all silent tracks that go for about 2 seconds each and then when ya hit track 90 ya get about 6 mins of the mighty stone roses messing around in the studio (drunk i reckon), with all sorts of instruments, violins and everything!

....and from Ash's 1996 album '1977', the famous, (or infamous), vomit track......

those are 2 extra tracks that certainly dont fit in with the overall tone of the album

Last edited:
POP definitly was NOT 5/5.

Miami?!?!?
The Playboy Mansion?!?!?!
If You Wear That Velvet Dress?!?!?!

All of those songs are so completely unfinished and awful!!!! POP is probably my LEAST favorite U2 album to date - but it's still U2, so I still listen to it about 10 times a month! :happy:

Personally, I think ATYCLB and HTDAAB are both worthy of the same rating (4/5). I don't think there's any aspect of one which is particularly stronger than the other.
Adam said that ATYCLB only had the on track that could be huge hit - Beautiful Day - but I would say that this is the same for Vertigo with HTDAAB.

Murray said:

Miami?!?!?

All of those songs are so completely unfinished and awful!!!! POP is probably my LEAST favorite U2 album to date - but it's still U2, so I still listen to it about 10 times a month! :happy:

Miami & Playboy Mansion are just irrating. Anyone who thinks OSC is slow should be forced to listen to If You Wear That Velvet Dress for 1 hour on repeat. :yuck:

HTDAAB is not a 5/5 but I think it's a 8.5/10. POP is more like a 7/10 thanks to two of the most embarrasing U2 songs ever put on 1 CD.

riteshbhatt1 said:

Miami & Playboy Mansion are just irrating. Anyone who thinks OSC is slow should be forced to listen to If You Wear That Velvet Dress for 1 hour on repeat. :yuck:

HTDAAB is not a 5/5 but I think it's a 8.5/10. POP is more like a 7/10 thanks to two of the most embarrasing U2 songs ever put on 1 CD.

If You Wear That Velvet Dress is pure sex. Literally.

HTDAAB just seems like a very rehashment of ATYCLB. I don't understand someone saying HTDAAB is better than ATYCLB. I just don't. They're very similar in style and in what they're saying it's just HTDAAB is much better at it.

Murray said:

Miami?!?!?

Are you for real? They are 3 GREAT TRACKS. MIAMI is absolutley FANTASTIC. You compare these tracks to Peace On Earth, Grace and Wild Honey. Fuc#in hell them 3 are B-sides and no better.

Why the dissing of Man and a Woman? To me it's the equivalent of AB's Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the Word.... Only I like it better.

Maybe the comparison isn't perfect, but i still think Man and a Woman is brilliant.

xovonob now! said:
Why the dissing of Man and a Woman? To me it's the equivalent of AB's Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the Word.... Only I like it better.

Maybe the comparison isn't perfect, but i still think Man and a Woman is brilliant.

I totally agree. I guess I seem to be in the small consensus of people who love a man and a woman. It makes my hips move every time I hear it. To me, that isn't such a bad thing! :wink:

Oh - and by the way, I don't hate POP, I just think HTDAAB and ATYCLB are much better! :wink:

Who can hate "STARING AT THE SUN," "LAST NIGHT ON EARTH," "GONE," and "DISCOTEQUE?"

A man and A woman is one of the best tracks from htdaab. I don't get why so many people don't like it. OSC is the weakest track.

Oh and Fast Cars DOES NOT fit on the album. I didn't mean to say that. I just like it so much that I would probably make a mix with it on there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom