This from The Chicago Sun-Times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono has never been anti-american. Whatever. They're all just jealous.

oi. I read this and was hoping no one would post it. lol. It's just some random guy that has no clue what he's talking about.

Pay no mind to him.

:-L

------------------
The wind will crack in winter time
No spoken words, just a scream

My Lair

Yeah, I was also hoping we could ignore this letter ... yet here I am posting in a thread about it. Huh!
biggrin.gif

That said, the letter gave me one of the biggest laughs I had the entire day. It's actually up on our "American" wall in my apartment now, which is a wall dedicated to really classy articles, ads, photos, etc. displaying only the most wonderful, intelligent, informed examples of patriotism. So is there enough sarcasm dripping from that last sentence? Okay, it's safe to stop, then.

------------------
"I still can't play guitar
How the hell did I get this far?"

~Bono, Detroit

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

[This message has been edited by Mirrorball Girl (edited 02-06-2002).]

The problem this guy has is that he's inherently stereotyping Americans by calling Bono "anti-American." Consumerism and big business are not just things looked down upon by Irish "dirtbags." About Third World debt: I'm sure it's no revelation that this debt would be paid by American taxpayers. The whole idea is that we're trying to help erase the debt of those who are much, much less fortunate than we are. I'm sorry, but this "writer" is about as self-centered and egomaniacal as they come. He should step back and evaluate who the "dirtbag" is. It's been a while since I've encountered such bitterness and contempt, which ironically is usually looked at as an un-American trait.

Funny, he never mentioned the fact that Paul McCartney is British, and sang in the preshow. Bono, IMO, is more American than this guy will ever be.

He was probably just mad that at the halftime show there were no scantly dressed cheerleaders.

------------------
Daisy :)

She's standing at the station with her face pressed up against the glass.

"Jon, why can't you do what Bono says"--The Daily Show

Originally posted by daisybean:
Funny, he never mentioned the fact that Paul McCartney is British, and sang in the preshow.
Nor did he mention that Mariah Carey is from the planet Cuckoomunga and she sang the national anthem.
biggrin.gif

------------------
The joker is the best card.

Wow, I finally got around to reading this article. Pisses me off that this ignorant shithead is actually allowed to write for a major newspaper. I don't usually e-mail people informing them of gross incompetence, but it might be in order here.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Stupid guy. Stupid article. Stupid paper. C'mon, you realize that when there is that big of an event and there is a HUGE HUGE HUGE famous worldwide band there, there is going to be lots of press, and it all can't be good.
Anyway, some people on U2-Midwest are sending letters to the editor and so far one of them has been confirmed to be printed. So someone fighting for them is going to be in there, at least!

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

I also think it's cute how he refers to the IMF as "debt relief". A loan is not a relief, my "foot up the ass" friend.

These are the kinds of assholes who complain about the government "stealing their money" through taxes. Fucking Ted Nugent? What the fuck...

------------------
Change is the only constant

I would love to get this man's phone number or email address so I could call him and teach him a few things about the issues he evidently don't have a clue about. It's not just that I disagree with what he's saying (although obviously I do, strongly disagree), as that I feel like he's speaking without knowing the facts.

To start with, who is he to define what is American or unAmerican? I live in the UK, I've lived most of my life and yet I certainly wouldn't claim to be able to define what is 'British'. Who is he to judge the actions of someone he's never met? Did he personally ask Bono why he wore a jacket with an American flag? No - so how can he possibly know what his motivation for that way?

And finally, this is the part that really pisses me off. His comments about debt relief only show that he has no understanding of the issue. He suggests that U2 give money to the countries as "debt relief". Well, the whole idea of debt relief is that it can only be given by those the debt is owed to. Suggesting that people instead give money to poorer countries doesn't solve the underlying problem. If the poorest countries are paying back $59million every week to the richest countries, then no amount of charitable donations will solve the problem. The idea is to work with those countries so they don't need aid from other countries - if they weren't spending a huge percentage of their GDP on debt service they could spend that money on health care, education, which would in turn allow them to improve their economies in order to better fund those services. If they were able to trade with rich countries on fair terms they would be less dependent on foreign aid. Not to mention the fact that ridiculously high debt repayments aren't the only way the IMF and World Bank have hurt these countries - they're the ones who force countries to cut government spending, so they can't fund education, so they can't provide food subsidies even where they are the only way people can afford to eat, so they can't provide healthcare to the millions of people dying from treatable diseases, so they can't implement any measures which might be able to get their country out of desperate poverty.

So that, Mr Willis, is what I would like to tell you. And sadly you'll never read this. And sadly people who already know this inside out will. Sorry guys
wink.gif

Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees:
I would love to get this man's phone number or email address so I could call him and teach him a few things about the issues he evidently don't have a clue about.

Oh hell, that sounded so conceited and pretentious I'm about to throw up.

Someone take my keyboard away if I ever write a sentence like that again, please?

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Pisses me off that this ignorant shithead is actually allowed to write for a major newspaper.

I'm pretty sure its not a writer, but a letter to the editor from a reader.

Yeah, Hewson's right.. it's a letter. I didn't notice it right away, and I wrote my post before I noticed (notice I said "article" instead of "letter", etc.) but Hewson is definitely right.

------------------
"Very strange looking object you have at the end of your stick.." - Bono

"Bono looks too intense for me." - Rollercoaster Tycoon park guest

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by Hewson:
I'm pretty sure its not a writer, but a letter to the editor from a reader.

Yeah, I didn't get that until later. The way I saw it at U2log made it seem as though the guy was a writer, when in fact he was just a pissed off, elitist ass with too much time on his hands.

I would now like to direct the attention of the man who wrote this letter to the Acssociated Press story that states U2 played the Super Bowl for free. So much for their greed for American dollars...

Originally posted by Hewson:
Originally posted by daisybean:
Funny, he never mentioned the fact that Paul McCartney is British, and sang in the preshow.
Nor did he mention that Mariah Carey is from the planet Cuckoomunga and she sang the national anthem.
biggrin.gif

LOL!!!! LMHO!!!!!! ROTFWL!!!!!!
(I think you get the idea)

Bless ya Hewson!
WHYWHY

Back
Top Bottom