This forum kind of sucks these days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you all want serious discussion, just go back and dig up 90% of my threads. Start with 'Radiohead's Biggest Weakness' and finish with the 'Or Else What?' thread I had going this past weekend. That should satisfy your need for analysis and discussion.

P.S. Kill all the game threads except I've got a great idea for a new survivor game after the current one ends. We should call it Survivor: U2's most mediocre song. Each round you alternate between voting off your favorite song, then least favorite song, then again favorite song, etc. All that's left standing is the one in the middle at the end of each album's voting. Won't it be great!!!!

For those of you suggesting making a game/shit/chat/crap forum, check the forum 'Dont Expect, Suggest', because the topic has already been discussed multiple times and beaten into the ground with absolutely no resolution. Reason being, there is no way in hell that every single person will agree with one thing or another. No matter what happens here on this forum, SOMEONE SOMEWHERE is going to be mad/complain/bitch/moan etc. So many times I/we have tried to create forums/topics/situations to please the members and so many times there is always at least 50% that have a problem with whatever goes on here.

The bottom line is, either you enjoy posting here and you will continue to post here, or you will bitch and moan about it so much that you end up saying "I'm leaving forever!!11!!". But again, we all know that its quite difficult to leave here. I think the main problem is the constant fighting/arguing and bitching around here. Not the game threads. If you dont like them, dont open them Despite the petty arguments, disagreements, games, chats, etc.. we all continue to post here, and the mods continue to try to make this place as enjoyable as possible. We all have one thing in common, we like U2. It doesnt mean we have to agree with each other all the time but we could at least show the respect of sharing our opinions without constant kindergarden garbage.

That's my 2 cents.

i think the reason the forum sucks is because we are running out of things to talk about

Wow. It's kind of sad that the first thread in a long time to reach seven pages without involving a game is one like this.

I have to agree with many posters, that EYKIW is a shadow of its former self. When I first registered, there were long threads on all kinds of topics, but gradually that has sort of died out. I think part of that is due to the tour, as other people have said. As for the other reason, I don't know about most people here, but I find it very hard to sustain a high level of interest in anything for a long period of time. My U2-obsession peaked around the time of the concert I attended in May, and since then I have found my interest is being drawn to other bands and events happening in my life. I know from experience that sooner or later my love for the band will kick into high gear again and I will probably spend half my day on Interference. But for now, my interest is just simmering, not boiling, and I spend maybe fifteen a minutes a day here. Could it be that I'm not the only one to feel this way? Maybe we're all just suffering from U2-induced braindrain, and need some time away from the forums. :shrug:

Sorry...I guess I don't really have a solution to the problem. Just offering my two cents as to why things haven't been much fun here lately.

I think this forum might suck for three reason:

1) Non thoughtful posts drowning the discusion based ones.

2) People taking offense of games that many seem to enjoy.

I think it is as simple as achieving a balance. Tolerance and the willingness to post as if you are trying to direct the forum is key.

MacPhistoPT said:

Now, this is bullshit.

Until there are, on this board, at least 2 people that want to play a game, they will play it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Now, I really think that a sub-board should be created only to the games. But you can't say it's a waste of time just because you don't like them, if you don't like just don't enter those threads.

But I also would like to know the "intellectual discussion". If it is more "u2 should have retired after 1998" or "joshua tree against achtung baby" threads, then :bow: the games and the pointless listing threads

Maybe I was misunderstood, MacPhistoPT. I was kind of kidding, but I really do think (as many others do) that game threads are killing this forum. Didnt mean so come off so harshly. My bad

Oh and by the way I think eliminating :drool: would get rid of alot of those "who likes ________" threads. :wink:

starvinmarvin said:
There seem to be 4 different categories of people who frequent this board:

1) The trolls. There are a small number of trollers who post only to get a rise out of poeple. They are sometimes entertaining, but sometimes cross the line between fun and stupidity.

2) Devil's Advocates. These people tend to start up interesting threads, and often post criticisms of U2 that are thought provoking and original. They love U2, but hold the band to a high standard, and aren't reluctant to criticise when the band falters.

3) Middle Of The Road U2 fans. These posters tend to like most everything the band does, and don't hold particularly strong views on much of anything. They go with the flow, and are careful not to offend anyone.

4) Thin Skinned Weasels. This small minority of fans take all criticisms of the band personally, and often fall into the traps set by trolls. They particularly hate the Devil's Advocates, and respond to criticisms of aspects of U2's career by ganging up on dissenters. They turn discussions into personal attacks, and display an alarming lack of humour. They don't know when to laugh it off, and just don't quit. They also are convinced they know the truth. They will complain to moderators about everything, and often get the most interesting threads closed down. They pose a bigger problem to this forum than any other group, trolls included.

I agree.
I count myself in the "Devil's Advocates" group in that I hold u2 to very high standards and will not hesitate to criticize something that doesn't feel right.
The problem comes along with something like this scenario:

Topic: Setlist
someone lists the setlist and says "vertigo was played twice".

ok, the devils advocates say "that's kinda lame; they have so many other (better) songs that they shouldn't be playing vertigo twice.
the trolls say "yeah, u2 sucks; htdaab blows".
the "weasels" (there's gotta be a better name for them) go apeshit, attacking both the trolls and advocates.
the middle roaders say "oh whatever; I can't wait to see them in October!"

as I see it, there's nothing wrong with the advocates saying their opinion on the topic that vertigo was played twice, but that gives the trolls a chance to jump onboard and go way out by totally ripping u2 apart, which was not the intention of the advocates. the weasels are reactionary and defensive of their favorite band and start going nuts. and before you know it, there's a major brawl going on.

I don't know how to fix it, but that's how it happens.

Joshua87 said:

Maybe I was misunderstood, MacPhistoPT. I was kind of kidding, but I really do think (as many others do) that game threads are killing this forum. Didnt mean so come off so harshly. My bad

No problem at all. I always sound more upset that I really am, because I rarely get upset because of this. This is to have some fun and to discuss U2, nothing more!

I really like the game threads and I'm disappointed to realize that they won't have a sub-area.

I guess I'm #3 in the starvinmarvin list :wink:

• I like the 12 albuns (even if I have my preferences)
  • I only "hate" 6 U2 songs
  • I rarely take 100% part of a side in bashing/appreciation threads because there's nothing on U2 I really dislike
  • I even like the game threads but I also like to discuss in serious threads

:wink:

MacPhistoPT said:

I guess I'm #3 in the starvinmarvin list :wink:

• I like the 12 albuns (even if I have my preferences)
  • I only "hate" 6 U2 songs
  • I rarely take 100% part of a side in bashing/appreciation threads because there's nothing on U2 I really dislike
  • I even like the game threads but I also like to discuss in serious threads

:wink:

Yeah, youre #3 on the list, I'd say. I'm definetely #2..

Just out of curiosity, which 6 songs do you hate?:wink:

Well, everyone says I'm crazy:

Miami, Elvis Ate America, Red Light, Daddy's Crashed Car, All Because of You and Stuck in a moment.

These ones are the ones I can't stand, there are some songs that I overlook and don't care about.

Really? I'm with you on the first 3, I'm indifferent about the 4th and 5th (the live version of Crashed car @ Sydney is pretty decent though), and I firmly oppose any criticisms of Stuck, which is one of my favorites :huh:

Last edited:
As the lyrics say, Stuck has a "decent melody" but that annoying sounds at the beginning... and I hate the title of the song and the chorus. To say the true, I rarely got there because the first 5 seconds are enough to me :banghead: :wink:

But don't care... it's all about my aversion to some songs. The single version of Sweetest Thing also has "those" annoying sounds and I like it :reject:

MacPhistoPT said:
As the lyrics say, Stuck has a "decent melody" but that annoying sounds at the beginning... and I hate the title of the song and the chorus. To say the true, I rarely got there because the first 5 seconds are enough to me :banghead: :wink:

But don't care... it's all about my aversion to some songs. The single version of Sweetest Thing also has "those" annoying sounds and I like it :reject:

Annoying sounds? Don't you mean "ear candy"?:wink:

The Edge fucking around with his guitar to produce new sounds that no one has ever heard before... that's experimentation! Venturing into unchartered territory (not only for them but for anyone) like they did in the 90s to the extent that they almost became a cult band of sorts... that's experimentation! Trying to go where your innermost creative instincts take you without giving a rat's ass about if the record will sell or whether everyone will like it... that's experimentation!

A little but of Philly soul inspiration in In A Little While is not experimentation! Creating a very summery Van Morrison-esque song is not really experimentation, more like a tribute. Trying to rework Pop so it'll sell well and everyone will like it most certainly isn't experimentation!

:up: to the thread starter for trying to generate good discussion!

Zootlesque said:
The Edge fucking around with his guitar to produce new sounds that no one has ever heard before... that's experimentation! Venturing into unchartered territory (not only for them but for anyone) like they did in the 90s to the extent that they almost became a cult band of sorts... that's experimentation! Trying to go where your innermost creative instincts take you without giving a rat's ass about if the record will sell or whether everyone will like it... that's experimentation!

A little but of Philly soul inspiration in In A Little While is not experimentation! Creating a very summery Van Morrison-esque song is not really experimentation, more like a tribute. Trying to rework Pop so it'll sell well and everyone will like it most certainly isn't experimentation!

:up: to the thread starter for trying to generate good discussion!

Wrong thread, but I'll throw in my 2 cents. Experimentation is a subjective term. I'd venture that In A Little While is experimental for U2, as they had not yet written a song like that before. I guess to some people the band's electronic-tinged 90's output is experimental, and I believe that for U2 it was experimental, but then again U2 weren't exactly pioneers in that realm. Many of those sounds hadn't yet reached mainstream ears, but that doesn't mean other people weren't already doing similar things.

It's kind of the same thing with the Beatles. They are often credited with "inventing" new recording techniques, such as backwards recording, but the reality is that avant garde composers had already done those things years prior. It was just that The Beatles were the first to bring thoses sounds to the masses, so they get the credit. It's the same with U2.

I mean, hats off to U2 and The Beatles for searching for new sounds, but they don't deserve all of ther credit.

yeah the lists are a bit much (although I still post in them). but the heal/hurt game is fun! :D

whatever...chizip, you must be the change you wish to see in the world, my friend. I look forward to future posts from you, and expect they will be of only the highest intellectual quality. :wink:

With all due respect, Chizip hardly ever posts here! I don't even remember the last thread he created in EYKIW. :huh:

starvinmarvin said:

3) Middle Of The Road U2 fans. These posters tend to like most everything the band does, and don't hold particularly strong views on much of anything. They go with the flow, and are careful not to offend anyone.

I'm a 3, but the middle the road is quite dangerous, weren't you ever taught that as a child? ;)

Though "Rattle and Hum" is very hit and miss for me.

I just find it hard to criticise something I don't know how to do.

Lyrics are probably where I could criticise, I'm not a poet or anything, but some lyrics have me going, wha? :huh: like Elevation.

Who am I to say U2 is on autopilot. (nice pun, but come on).

Edge...I can't even play a guitar, well I can only play straight notes on a guitar, that's it.

Adam's bass playing, nope, I've learned things about bass playing, just kinda browsing bass playing books, but playing the actual instrument, no.

Larry's drumming, I don't have the hand-eye coordination to be a drummer.

I kinda have to be 3 in that sense because all I can say is how I like the musical parts to songs. Listen to this line, how about that drum pattern.

Lyrics are fair game I think, but the musical aspect, all I can say that guitar line sounds really great, not in a technical sense, but how it sounds to my ears.

Turn up the bass enough, you can feel the lines.

Sorry Bono, you're the only one I can go after. ;)

Last edited:
starvinmarvin said:
There seem to be 4 different categories of people who frequent this board:

1) The trolls. There are a small number of trollers who post only to get a rise out of poeple. They are sometimes entertaining, but sometimes cross the line between fun and stupidity.

2) Devil's Advocates. These people tend to start up interesting threads, and often post criticisms of U2 that are thought provoking and original. They love U2, but hold the band to a high standard, and aren't reluctant to criticise when the band falters.

4) Thin Skinned Weasels. This small minority of fans take all criticisms of the band personally, and often fall into the traps set by trolls. They particularly hate the Devil's Advocates, and respond to criticisms of aspects of U2's career by ganging up on dissenters. They turn discussions into personal attacks, and display an alarming lack of humour. They don't know when to laugh it off, and just don't quit. They also are convinced they know the truth. They will complain to moderators about everything, and often get the most interesting threads closed down. They pose a bigger problem to this forum than any other group, trolls included.

I really disagree with that assesment. While I certainly see some of those "types" around here, I really dont think you can degrade or catagorize many of the people around here like that.

The problem is most are 1 dimentional posters, who while my may be a really great person, have not spent along time on the board and often are looking for a quick and meaningful discussion. Most are not nearly intense as those catagories.

And for those who are, they seem to be such a force and pressence on the forum, there is no way you could ever get them to fit in to those catagories.

I really fail to see a fundemental problem on this board, just a short clash between two modes of thought and fun. We just need to hit a healthy ballance.

Tarvark said:

I really disagree with that assesment. While I certainly see some of those "types" around here, I really dont think you can degrade or catagorize many of the people around here like that.

The problem is most are 1 dimentional posters, who while my may be a really great person, have not spent along time on the board and often are looking for a quick and meaningful discussion. Most are not nearly intense as those catagories.

And for those who are, they seem to be such a force and pressence on the forum, there is no way you could ever get them to fit in to those catagories.

I really fail to see a fundemental problem on this board, just a short clash between two modes of thought and fun. We just need to hit a healthy ballance.

I knew someone was going to be "offended" by this post.
look, not everyone here "fits" into these 4 categaories, but I can tell you, being here much longer than you have been, that alot do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom