This forum kind of sucks these days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think alot of us spend way too much time on this board, including myself.

maybe we all need to do something else with our spare time.....

......let's all go bash coldplay on their message board!!!:hyper:

*is kidding....totally kidding*

I'm getting sick of game threads in general and all the "what are you [doing/eating/watching/listening to/etc] now?" threads. The thing about the game threads is once the game or the survivor is finally done, someone just starts it all up again or changes it slightly. If you want to know the best/most popular U2 song, just make a poll instead of dozens of threads. :huh:

BRING BACK JICK< BRING BACK JICK. Sicy is going to be annoyed at me saying this, but it is true that he did generate some thought provoking topics, the like of which non of us seem to be able to recreate

The point is that without appreciation threads, listing threads, game threads, song of the day threads, this would become almost empty.

I'd like to have some more deep discussions around here but unfortunately I see the "intellectuals" bashing here all those threads but I don't see any interesting thread being created.

Oh, I forgot that threads bashing U2 or threads comparing U2 to Coldplay are very interesting and useful. There is one of those right now. I think you should go immediatly there. Because we didn't had any thread like that in the last months... :hyper:

:down:

MacPhistoPT said:
The point is that without appreciation threads, listing threads, game threads, song of the day threads, this would become almost empty.

I disagree. I've had many thread-provoking ideas that I've just never bothered to post b/c I knew people would only look at the games and anything resembling actual discussion would fall off the page in a matter of minutes.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I disagree. I've had many thread-provoking ideas that I've just never bothered to post b/c I knew people would only look at the games and anything resembling actual discussion would fall off the page in a matter of minutes.

Of course, and that's why I think that is necessary a sub-board to put all the games, exactly to avoid that.

matt76 said:
BRING BACK JICK< BRING BACK JICK. Sicy is going to be annoyed at me saying this, but it is true that he did generate some thought provoking topics, the like of which non of us seem to be able to recreate

Yeah ok. Bring back jick? Why, so the mods can deal with his threads being reported 5 times a day? So that we can watch half the forum bash him in his threads? So we can deal with massive amounts of email from members asking us to DO SOMETHING ABOUT HIM?? And when we finally do something about him, we get this "bring back jick crap" ???

The answer is no and people need to stop talking about it.

Well I like the games and I like to read a lot of the other threads. If you want to put a thread in, put it in.

What I don't like is the threads were we go back and forth over yes Pop is good or No ATYCLB is better. Those annoy me because all of us have a different opinion and most of us aren't going to change it.

Sicy said:

Yeah ok. Bring back jick? Why, so the mods can deal with his threads being reported 5 times a day? So that we can watch half the forum bash him in his threads? So we can deal with massive amounts of email from members asking us to DO SOMETHING ABOUT HIM?? And when we finally do something about him, we get this "bring back jick crap" ???

Sorry, again...

I think it would help if there was a designated games room. It does clutter up the EYKIW room...

Also, I think it would be a lot more interesting if CERTAIN PEOPLE WHO SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS would tolerate criticism/discussion of anything other than All That You Can't Leave Behind.

The other thing that needs to be curtailed is appreciation threads. Now we have daily appreciation threads, people posting random appreciation threads for obscure songs, etc.....It's way too much.....Add to that the fact that it is AGAINST THE RULES to post critical comments (I mean, what the fuck is up with that?) in these appreciation threads, and what you have is a recipe for sleep apnea. What's the point of saying "I love that song" dozens of times. Who even reads those comments? It's a complete waste of time.

This forum DOES have some very interesting people, but overall it is nothing but a a Pop mutual appreciation society - and not a place for meaningful discussion. Many people obviously hate me because I'm not a blind follower of popular opinion (at least as far as Intereference opinion goes), but I say fuck 'em. At least my posts get some discussion happening, which is more than you can say for the people who stand around and tinkle each other's willies over the live version of MOFO, or pee their panties over Wake Up Dead man. The condescending attitude and shameless hypocricy of these people is staggering at times.

Or a forum where you can rant on a bit and be offensive and everyone knows that's what they are getting into, like a "controversial subjects area" :wink:

In that way Mods won't have to worry about people complaining about Jick and Starvinmarvin type characters, because they have a disclaimer of sorts

matt76 said:
Or a forum where you can rant on a bit and be offensive and everyone knows that's what they are getting into, like a "controversial subjects area" :wink:

In that way Mods won't have to worry about people complaining about Jick and Starvinmarvin type characters, because they have a disclaimer of sorts

Why not? If that's what it takes, then so be it. If you think that I'm a "character," then I take it as a compliment.

The funny thing is, that often people's responses to my comments are far more outrageous and rude than my original words.

There is a double standard going on as well. I mean, I could start a thread called "Pop is not a masterpiece," and I would get flamed, given a stern warning from a forum moderator, and the thread would be closed within a few hours. A few hours later somebody starts up a thread entitled "All That You Can Leave Behind should be beaten, shot, and dismemebered," and everything would be hunky dory. What I'm trying to say is that some critical comments are viewed at this particular forum as being offensive, while others are OK, because they conform to certain people's views.

starvinmarvin said:

Why not? If that's what it takes, then so be it. If you think that I'm a "character," then I take it as a compliment.

The funny thing is, that often people's responses to my comments are far more outrageous and rude than my original words.

There is a double standard going on as well. I mean, I could start a thread called "Pop is not a masterpiece," and I would get flamed, given a stern warning from a forum moderator, and the thread would be closed within a few hours. A few hours later somebody starts up a thread entitled "All That You Can Leave Behind should be beaten, shot, and dismemebered," and everything would be hunky dory. What I'm trying to say is that some critical comments are viewed at this particular forum as being offensive, while others are OK, because they conform to certain people's views.

Character : Take it as a compliment

Pop liked round here : Not that much, pretty mixed bag from what i can see..

ATYCLB, dunno seems to be a mix on this again

if you do a thread saying Pop is not a masterpiece, the mods would not do anything, but it would be a boring thread!!

StarvinMarvin's right...for some reason Pop is an overprotected 'masterpiece' [sic] whereas All That You Can't Leave Behind is allowed to be moaned about and called shit, etc. because it's a view a majority of people hold! :eyebrow:

:eyebrow:

see we are off topic here, this is what we will get in trouble for! Maybe this is why this forum does kind of suck??

matt76 said:
:eyebrow:

see we are off topic here, this is what we will get in trouble for! Maybe this is why this forum does kind of suck??

i beg your pardon?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

:up:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Sicy said:

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

matt76 said:

No, this is not off topic. It is not a diversion. We are discussing why this forum kind of sucks sometimes, and as such the issue of double standards/hypocricy is very much a relevant one.

starvinmarvin said:

No, this is not off topic. It is not a diversion. We are discussing why this forum kind of sucks sometimes, and as such the issue of double standards/hypocricy is very much a relevant one.

That's exactly what I was saying!!

matt76 said:

Sorry, again...

nunu.gif

starvinmarvin said:

Sorry, Matt76, I misread your comment. I see what you're saying now, and I agree with it 100 %.

Good I thought I had offended someone there...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom