This deserves it's very own thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
don't beleive this. i believe adam said that, but he was probably being sarcastic or something.

at this point in their careers, don't see them going into a studio and then cranking out an album a few months later.

but hey, hopefully they prove me wrong, would love to see it :wink:

My 2 cents:

Given the band's history, I would bet on a 2007 release; more towards the later part.

However, anything is possible and I would be elated to see a quick 2006 release of great songs that are not overproduced like HTDAAB.

I am just happy that they are in the studio and the wheels are in motion for a new album.

Problem with U2 is, they're U2, and they had trouble changing direction in bomb. the album would have been out earlier, if they'd been ok with what the work with chris thomas turned out. They said similar things when they started to work with him, and just went back and lillythwhite who knows what they want just finished the songs.

So probably work with rubin will be done before the tour starts, that doesnt even mean they'll use it.

LemonMelon said:

Typical Blue Room. :| The album could have an official release date on the website, and you'd still dispute it. :rolleyes:

Sorry you hate posts that approach it from the realistic perspective. Did you read any of my prior posts on this thread? My last one in fact points out what Edge said on the official site is what I would believe. I swear, people read what they want and run with it. That is part of the problem with alot of these wild rumors and your post rolling your eyes at me and painting what I have said with a wide brush that isnt even true is sort of a small example of that very thing.

Internet fan sites reporting stuff from unconfirmed sources is not real reliable information IMO. You obviously think it is. Good for you.

Last edited:
coach said:
So probably work with rubin will be done before the tour starts, that doesnt even mean they'll use it.

Yeah, they'll probably finish a bunch of great songs with Rubin... sit on it all thru next year, bring in a few dozen more producers for second and third opinions... overproduce the shit out of them and release the mess of an album in 2008. :|

Zootlesque said:

Yeah, they'll probably finish a bunch of great songs with Rubin... sit on it all thru next year, bring in a few dozen more producers for second and third opinions... overproduce the shit out of them and release the mess of an album in 2008. :|

thats what i'm afraid of. they should just trust rubin and let it go. ZOOROPA 2006 :rockon: :rockon:

more to the point... Chris Thomas' credits over the last 20 years...

1987: Kick by INXS
1988: Reg Strikes Back by Elton John
1989: Sleeping With the Past by Elton John
1990: X by INXS
1992: The One by Elton John
1994: Last of the Independents by The Pretenders, The Lion King soundtrack, Jewel by Marcella Detroit
1995: Different Class by Pulp
1997: The Big Picture by Elton John
1998: This is Hardcore by Pulp
1999: Run Devil Run by Paul McCartney
2004: How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by U2
2006: On An Island by David Gilmour

as compared to Rick Rubin's work over the past 20 years...

Licensed to Ill - Beastie Boys (1986)
Raising Hell - Run-D.M.C. (1986)
Reign in Blood - Slayer (1986)
Electric - The Cult (1987)
Danzig - Danzig (1988)
Tougher Than Leather - Run-D.M.C. (1988)
South of Heaven - Slayer (1988)
Masters of Reality - Masters of Reality (1988)
Andrew Dice Clay - Andrew Dice Clay (1989)
Trouble - Trouble (1990)
Danzig II: Lucifuge - Danzig (1990)
Seasons in the Abyss - Slayer (1990)
Nobody Said It Was Easy - The Four Horsemen (1991)
Manic Frustration - Trouble (1991)
Decade of Aggression - Slayer (1991)
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1991)
Danzig III: How the Gods Kill - Danzig (1992)
King King - Red Devils (1992)
Thrall: Demonsweatlive - Danzig (1993)
Wandering Spirit - Mick Jagger (1993)
21st Century Jesus - Messiah (1993)
Danzig 4 - Danzig (1994)
American Recordings - Johnny Cash (1994)
Divine Intervention - Slayer (1994)
Wildflowers - Tom Petty (1994)
One Hot Minute - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1995)
Ballbreaker - AC/DC (1995)
God Lives Underwater - God Lives Underwater (1995)
Empty - God Lives Underwater (1995)
Songs and Music from "She's the One" - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1996)
Unchained - Johnny Cash (1996)
Undisputed Attitude - Slayer (1996)
Sutras - Donovan (1996)
The Smashing Pumpkins - Let Me Give the World to You (song) (1998)
Melanie C - Northern Star (Album) (1998)
VH1 Storytellers - Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson (1998)
Diabolus in Musica - Slayer (1998)
System of a Down - System of a Down (1998)
Chef Aid - South Park (1998)
Californication - Red Hot Chili Peppers (1999)
Echo - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers (1999)
Loud Rocks - V/A (tracks: 1. System of a Down & Wu-Tang Clan - Shame, 6. Tom Morello & Chad Smith & Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nothing Ta Fuck Wit) (1999)
American III: Solitary Man - Johnny Cash (2000)
Paloalto - Paloalto (2000)
Renegades - Rage Against The Machine (2000)
Amethyst Rock Star - Saul Williams (2001)
The War of Art-American Head Charge (2001)
Breath of the Heart - Krishna Das (2001)
The Final Studio Recordings - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (2001)
Toxicity - System of a Down (2001)
American IV: The Man Comes Around - Johnny Cash (2002)
By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2002)
Audioslave - Audioslave (2002)
Steal This Album! - System of a Down (2002)
Results May Vary - Limp Bizkit (2003) (with Terry Date and Jordan Schur)
Unearthed - Johnny Cash (2003)
Door of Faith - Krishna Das (2003)
De-Loused in the Comatorium - The Mars Volta (2003) (with Omar Rodriguez-Lopez)
The Black Album - Jay-Z (2003) ("99 Problems")
Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium - Rage Against the Machine (2003)
Heroes and Villains - Paloalto (2003)
Vol. 3 (The Subliminal Verses) - Slipknot (2004)
Armed Love - The (International) Noise Conspiracy (2004)
Crunk Juice - Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz (2004) ("Stop Fuckin' Wit Me")
Make Believe - Weezer (2005)
Out of Exile - Audioslave (2005)
Mezmerize - System of a Down (2005)
Hypnotize - System of a Down (2005)
12 Songs - Neil Diamond (2005)
Christ Illusion - Slayer (2006)
Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers (2006)
Taking the Long Way - Dixie Chicks (2006)
American V: A Hundred Highways - Johnny Cash (2006)
How Dirty Girls Get Clean - Courtney Love (2006)
FutureSex/LoveSounds - Justin Timberlake (2006)
Untitled - Linkin Park (2007)
Untitled-Metallica (2007)
Untitled - U2 (2007)
Libertad (Working Title) - Velvet Revolver (2007)
American VI - Johnny Cash (2007)

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

look i love all that you can't leave behind... but it's a very safe record.

I have to agree with you on this. I like the album, probably my third or fourth favorite but it was kind of a safe record.

I guess my point about Eno and Lanois is not necessarily if they are involved it will be a more experimental album. I'm saying the person that is the best at and most successful at getting U2 to push the envelope and experiment is Eno. He isnt always successful at getting them to do it, but he is the most likely to make it happen IMO. I dont see Rubin as doing that. I could be wrong but looking at what has been said about his approach, I dont see it at all.

Rubin's diverse production and his work in so many genres of music is really interesting. i think they could do great things.

I still hope they bring in Kanye West to do one track.

Zootlesque said:

THIS is actually exactly what I can see happening. Only difference is I dont necessarily think it will be a mess of an album. I just prefer U2 to take their time. Albums where they havent have not been their best work to me. I just dont think they work as well from that perspective. :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

You don't like Zooropa & UF?

Zooropa, no, one of my least favorite overall U2 albums. Sounds unfinished to me. :shrug: Dirty Day and Zooropa are the only really good songs on it to me. Alot of filler songs also.

Unforgettable Fire is a good album, but I dont see it as a rush job like Zooropa. They spent more time on it and actually ran over the deadline for it.

more on rubin from his wikipedia entry (have ya picked up that i love rick rubin yet?)

Production trademarks
Rubin's biggest trademark as a producer has been a "stripped-down" sound, that involves eliminating cliché production elements such as string sections, backup vocals, reverb, and instead having naked vocals and bare instrumentation. However, by the 2000's, Rubin style had been known to include such elements, as noted in the Washington Post: "As the track reaches a crescendo and Diamond's portentous baritone soars over a swelling string arrangement, Rubin leans back, as though floored by the emotional power of the song".[3]

His previous style began with his very first production effort, LL Cool J's Radio, which consisted of little more than rapping and percussive beats (the liner notes credit for the album read "Reduced by Rick Rubin" rather than the usual "Produced by Rick Rubin"). He later developed a reputation as a "song doctor" who, by performing the same reduction on the sound of veteran singers and bands, could help them break out of the commercial rut they were currently in. He did this most notably with Johnny Cash, but also achieved this with Tom Petty, AC/DC (on the album Ballbreaker) and Neil Diamond (on 12 Songs).

Albums in the 2000's, produced by Rick Rubin, have been criticized as containing more Audio level compression and of containing too much clipping. Examples of this include Californication by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses) by Slipknot. It can be argued, though, that these artifacts usually come from mastering decisions and are not made by the producer. The mastering house is also generally chosen by the record label, not the producer.

Rubin relies heavily on arrangements and elements of sound. On this subject, Dan Charnas, a music journalist who worked as vice president of A&R and marketing at Rubin's American Recordings label in the 1990s, said "He's fantastic with sound and arrangements, and he's tremendous with artists. They love him. He shows them how to make it better, and he gets more honest and exciting performances out of people than anyone."[3]

Rubin's work has included the fusion of rap and hard rock/heavy metal as evidenced in his work with Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys. Later examples of rap-rock work were Jay-Z's 2003 song "99 Problems" and Lil' Jon's 2004 song "Stop Fuckin' Wit Me". The latter sampled Slayer's "Mandatory Suicide" and "Reign in Blood", both originally produced by Rubin.

Another trademark has been having artists cover songs where the covering band's style is different from the original version of the song. In addition to the notable covers of Run-D.M.C. and Johnny Cash, Rubin produced Slayer's cover of Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", executive-produced the Black Crowes' career-launching cover of Otis Redding's "Hard To Handle", and produced Rage Against The Machine's 2000 covers album, Renegades.

In 2006, Metallica announced that their new album will be produced by Rick Rubin; however, this ended a 15+ year relationship with longtime producer Bob Rock.

Rick Rubin is currently co-producing Linkin Park's new album with the co-vocalist of the band, Mike Shinoda. Their album is expected to be released in early 2007.

He is also currently in the studio with U2, working on new material for their next album. This is the first collaboration between the band and Rubin.

In September 2006, Matt Sorum of Velvet Revolver confirmed via Camp Freddy Radio on Indie 103.1 that the band have signed a deal with Rubin to produce their sophomore album (tentatively titled Libertad). After hearing what the band had recorded, Rubin told them he liked 3-4 of their songs before leaving to produce U2, and he hopes they have more good quality songs by the time work on that album is over.

From what I know from Rubin and from what I read about him, if his kind of work mantains with U2, their next album will be sightly different, There'll be no more landscapes or sonic sounds, and songs will be raw and straight to the subject. I'm hoping kind of songs like raw/cut Vertigo's, LNOE's and stuff like that.
I hope it won't sound like U2 making covers of artists like those he has produced. That's not what I pretended as a fan and that doesn't look like U2, but that's okay.

Rick Rubin's style is actually a Cliché in today's music, you know, very direct sound, dry, rough, fake "emotional", LOUD, without dynamics, etc, etc. That's how sound 90% of today's music, and that's include U2's ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

So I don't see ANY good in working with a US trademark producer heavily oriented to the US market :yuck:

Moreover, his colaborations with rappers, Shakira, Justin Timbercrap and all that corporate sellouts make him credibility appears at even worse :shame:

He can't change the U2 sound in the nougthies at all, because that's exactly what he wants in an album :|

MORE OF THE SAME

Zootlesque said:

Oh...I hope not. I mean, if it's great it's great, but why sit on something they've all said they want done NOW?

That said, you could be right. :huh:

October 2007 :drool:

Hmmm... I'm glad Rubin is producing if only because it's a different producer from before. His reputation of having bands try new things makes me kind of excited too.

ponkine said:
Rick Rubin's style is actually a Cliché in today's music, you know, very direct sound, dry, rough, fake "emotional", LOUD, without dynamics, etc, etc. That's how sound 90% of today's music, and that's include U2's ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

So I don't see ANY good in working with a US trademark producer heavily oriented to the US market :yuck:

Moreover, his colaborations with rappers, Shakira, Justin Timbercrap and all that corporate sellouts make him credibility appears at even worse :shame:

He can't change the U2 sound in the nougthies at all, because that's exactly what he wants in an album :|

MORE OF THE SAME

perhaps you could suggest a better Chilean alternative?

Following that original link with an update, habib posted that Rick Rubin stated that they have 4 tracks at the moment and that they're basically "experimenting".

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

THIS is actually exactly what I can see happening. Only difference is I dont necessarily think it will be a mess of an album. I just prefer U2 to take their time. Albums where they havent have not been their best work to me. I just dont think they work as well from that perspective. :shrug:

I actually think the exact opposite. Historicaly, IMO, the less time spent on it the better the album.

ponkine said:

MORE OF THE SAME

not everyone likes rick rubin??

capt.3db3ca7dfb7f45a5a0886dbb7d66fffd.aptopix_vatican_pope_muslims_ppc101.jpg

who knew!

Earnie Shavers said:

I actually think the exact opposite. Historicaly, IMO, the less time spent on it the better the album.

Well, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are my favorite albums and they spent close to a year on both if not more. So I guess thats my perspective. :shrug: Joshua Tree they did take after take after take and layered the songs. Took alot of time and effort and its my favorite album as a result.

YAEAHHH!!! :rockon:

This is what they need!!!! Mess with their "schedule" and do something out of the box and fast! Woohoo! The album should be called EMERGENCY! Hope it's true! :hyper:

Blue Room said:

Well, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby are my favorite albums and they spent close to a year on both if not more.

JT, really? Because the Conspiracy Of Hope certainly threw a spanner in the works there, and by late 1986, Edge was working on the Captive soundtrack. JT definitely was not a marathon compared to HTDAAB.

Joshua Tree they did take after take after take and layered the songs.

Only for some songs. One Tree Hill was recorded in a single take.

I agree with the sentiment that U2's quickest albums are best. I think U2's most radical reinvention and creativity came on The Unforgettable Fire, and that was done in a few short months. Boy, War, Zooropa, and Passengers all were pretty quick too. In comparison, my least favourites (AB, ATYCLB, HTDAAB) all took a bit of time.

As for time spent on U2's albums/quality, depends. War and UF are very good and they did them quickly. JT and AB took more time and are excellent. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom