This deserves it's very own thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Blue Room said:

Dont think so. They started right after the holidays, late January 1993. Also, they continued to work on the album all the way up to July 1993 even while they were on tour. They flew back and forth between shows to Dublin and went into the studio. They also had started preliminary work on it during the Outside Broadcast leg during soundchecks. They spent a total of at a minimum 5 months on it, if not more.

Open the booklet and look at it. It says March to May. It is actually late March to early May, but regardless, the maximum it could be is 3 months. Yes, they did fly back and forth but it was only during March through May. Where are pulling that info from because it is incorrect?

I'm gonna stick with a Dec 06 realease date. I know its contarary to what Edge and Bono think but I also think theyre holding a surprise. As for the marketing, how do you know the marketing hasnt started? And if it takes more than two weeks to come up with a marketing scheme then call me up, Ill take the job with a smile.

Im siding with Adam on this one. I also think they should look into getting an exercise bike into abbey studio. Strong abs make strong notes.

I also hope its not too Beatles-esque. The beach clips and the fact of where theyre recording along with f'in George Marting and Mc C paying a 'visit' doesnt sit well with me. I know the Beatles are great and everything but damn...

Its almost been a decade since pop. We've only gotten 2 albums since. Wtf?
I'd rather them put out 4 rushed albums at this point than 2 polished ones. I think theyre good enough musicians at this stage to put out a Zooropa album with High Quality. And if it is Beatles inspired Id rather not wait 3 years for it.

:huh:

Michael Griffiths said:

And I wouldn't be surprised if his comment about Bono being in the States was a sales ploy in lessening the crowds either. More time waiting for Bono to sign autographs means less time in the studio.

Or not.

PLEBA has a thread on Bono and Ali doing some Edun promotion in NY for Sep 15th.

I don't believe this will happen.... Nov/Dec 2006 seems to soon..given the fanfare and buildup to their last 3 studio albums it would be a MAJOR surprise if anything were to come out so soon and unexpectedly... Also i don't think U2 at this stage would release a new studio record without a major tour (at least 2 legs if not more) to follow.. agreed it may all still come together but i would bet good money that we don't see a new u2 album till atleast March 2007 (I think Nov 2007 is the likely date)

bsp77 said:

Open the booklet and look at it. It says March to May. It is actually late March to early May, but regardless, the maximum it could be is 3 months. Yes, they did fly back and forth but it was only during March through May. Where are pulling that info from because it is incorrect?

Well, the booklet is not exact. Also, why would they start flying back and forth in March? The Zooropa tour started in May. They did fly back and forth to Dublin all the way up to the Italian shows. They were finished at that point. It was around 5 months or more. Like I always say though, believe what you want. I dont really care. If you think an album is coming this year, go for it. I think you are going to be majorly disappointed.

Well, they recorded in June too, at least, right? And it seems that they had a lot of leftovers from the ATYCLB and HTDAAB sessions. I wouldn't rule it out entirely that Adam could be speaking the truth. I would expect some kind of statement from Universal pretty soon though, in order to maintain the optimism.

Blue Room said:

Well, the booklet is not exact. Also, why would they start flying back and forth in March? The Zooropa tour started in May. They did fly back and forth to Dublin all the way up to the Italian shows. They were finished at that point. It was around 5 months or more. Like I always say though, believe what you want. I dont really care. If you think an album is coming this year, go for it. I think you are going to be majorly disappointed.

I just even found a quote from Edge during the recording where he says they only have six weeks for the entire album before the tour starts. The tour started back again on May 7th, so six weeks would have started them mid to late March. Maybe they then went past the six weeks with having to fly back for finishing touches and mixing through May and maybe part of June (though the booklet does not say June and they need time to press millions of cds and ship them to stores before July 5). So maybe there was some recording beyond the six weeks but there was certainly nothing in January or February and it was nowhere near 5 months.

Also, I never said there was going to be an album this year. It will probably be next year but this year is a possibility (anything is possible). You are the one that is so certain. Think whatever you want, but everytime someone just gets a little hopeful or excited, you come along with the same BS over and over again. It is very old. Just let people hope, why do you feel the need to bring the mood down everytime?

From CBS:

Zooropa was originally planned to only be an EP, but it ended up being a full album. Its creation in six weeks of recording made it the group's quickest album thus far.

I DO NOT WANT U2 TO RELEASE THE ALBUM THIS YEAR!

I want a tour, not them playing 12 shows and that being it. I want to see them play a full tour. I want to see them in Philadelphia. Make it March! Do the Joshua Tree style! 20 year anniversary and a new album! Just do a full tour whatever you do!

ehm...they are about to wrap up a very long full tour of 5 legs that took them to America twice...

...are you kidding? :confused:

bsp77 said:

I just even found a quote from Edge during the recording where he says they only have six weeks for the entire album before the tour starts. The tour started back again on May 7th, so six weeks would have started them mid to late March. Maybe they then went past the six weeks with having to fly back for finishing touches and mixing through May and maybe part of June (though the booklet does not say June and they need time to press millions of cds and ship them to stores before July 5). So maybe there was some recording beyond the six weeks but there was certainly nothing in January or February and it was nowhere near 5 months.

Also, I never said there was going to be an album this year. It will probably be next year but this year is a possibility (anything is possible). You are the one that is so certain. Think whatever you want, but everytime someone just gets a little hopeful or excited, you come along with the same BS over and over again. It is very old. Just let people hope, why do you feel the need to bring the mood down everytime?

Read my posts all the way through. I never said I'm certain. In fact I said I obviously dont know. You seem to be supporting the notion though with your ascertion that Zooropa only took 6 weeks period. Its just not true, I dont care what these sources say. Yes, makes a good media story line, but it took longer, sorry. As someone else pointed out, even if it is for the sake of the argument. U2 did this ONE time in their entire 30 year history. I dont know how that ONE album makes it so possible an album is going to be put out this year. THAT is what I'm pointing out.

Blue Room said:

Read my posts all the way through. I never said I'm certain. In fact I said I obviously dont know. You seem to be supporting the notion though with your ascertion that Zooropa only took 6 weeks period. Its just not true, I dont care what these sources say. Yes, makes a good media story line, but it took longer, sorry. As someone else pointed out, even if it is for the sake of the argument. U2 did this ONE time in their entire 30 year history. I dont know how that ONE album makes it so possible an album is going to be put out this year. THAT is what I'm pointing out.

EXACTLY!!! :yes: and THANK YOU..:wink:

Blue Room said:

What does "Its just not true, I dont care what these sources say" mean? That sources can be wrong but your source is correct? That is idiotic. I could be wrong about the 6 weeks thing, or more accurately, the vast majority of information I have heard would have to be wrong, including interviews with the band. It doesn't really matter anyway, it has nothing to do with the current sessions. But I am not supporting the argument that it will be released this year. All I am saying is it is possible, albeit unlikely. I actually agree with you for the most part, I just want to have some hope. I am not arguing with your opinion, just your constant need to respond anytime someone gets excited. Don't you think it means something when people get excited and then they wait for you to respond, knowing what you will say?

This may sound really random, but I may need to stop this argument, my wife may be going into labor. Seriously.

U2girl said:

Or not.

PLEBA has a thread on Bono and Ali doing some Edun promotion in NY for Sep 15th.
As I said, "I wouldn't be surprised...." I never said he wasn't in the States. How would I know? Sarcasm never sits too well with me, U2girl.

Last edited:
U2Man said:
ehm...they are about to wrap up a very long full tour of 5 legs that took them to America twice...

...are you kidding? :confused:

Yeah, and I didn't get tickets. I want a full tour for selfish reasons. There, I said it.

But seriously twelve shows? Zooropa had a long European leg as well as the Pacific dates, so that was OK. Twelve shows? I'm not buying.

March 2007 or November 2007.

But the point is that the way U2 see it, they've been on a full tour since March 2005 and they're about to wrap it up by playing these last shows that were cancelled, as they promised they would do. They are not starting on a completely new and big tour now. :huh:

phillyfan26 said:

But seriously twelve shows? Zooropa had a long European leg as well as the Pacific dates, so that was OK. Twelve shows? I'm not buying.

It does seem to be such a large burden to get the whole tour operation back together for only 12 shows (not that those twelve shows don't deserve it, of course! :wink: ). However unlikely it may be, an album release near the end of Leg 5 and then a continuation of the tour might make more financial sense...maybe.

Anyway, I have no clue when this album's coming out. It's just nice to hear the band talk about it, though.

Michael Griffiths said:

As I said, "I wouldn't be surprised...." I never said he wasn't in the States. How would I know? Sarcasm never sits too well with me, U2girl.

I'm just saying he in fact was in the States, like Adam said. It wasn't "a sales ploy in lessening the crowds either. More time waiting for Bono to sign autographs means less time in the studio."

No sarcasm, sorry if you took it that way.

I highly doubt we'll have an album in a couple of months.

I'm not saying Adam was lying or anything, I'm just thinking that by "a couple" he may have meant something like 8 o9 months.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

bsp77 said:

This may sound really random, but I may need to stop this argument, my wife may be going into labor. Seriously.

LOL I can just picture it.

"I think I'm going into labor! Quick! We need to go to the hospital now!!"

"Just a second honey! There's a rumor on interference.com that the new U2 album could be out within a couple of months!!!"

shart1780 said:

LOL I can just picture it.

"I think I'm going into labor! Quick! We need to go to the hospital now!!"

"Just a second honey! There's a rumor on interference.com that the new U2 album could be out within a couple of months!!!"

:lol:

Don't have the baby yet. Maybe too much detail, but we were two weeks before being full term, so they have given us medicine to slow it down. So we could now have the baby anytime in the next two weeks, including possibly today. :ohmy:

bsp77 said:
Don't have the baby yet. Maybe too much detail, but we were two weeks before being full term, so they have given us medicine to slow it down. So we could now have the baby anytime in the next two weeks, including possibly today. :ohmy:
Good luck :up:

Don't name it Bono :lol:

U2girl said:

I'm just saying he in fact was in the States, like Adam said. It wasn't "a sales ploy in lessening the crowds either. More time waiting for Bono to sign autographs means less time in the studio."

No sarcasm, sorry if you took it that way.
No worries, U2girl. I misunderstood your "Or not" statement, I guess.

bsp77 said:

What does "Its just not true, I dont care what these sources say" mean? That sources can be wrong but your source is correct? That is idiotic. I could be wrong about the 6 weeks thing, or more accurately, the vast majority of information I have heard would have to be wrong, including interviews with the band. It doesn't really matter anyway, it has nothing to do with the current sessions. But I am not supporting the argument that it will be released this year. All I am saying is it is possible, albeit unlikely. I actually agree with you for the most part, I just want to have some hope. I am not arguing with your opinion, just your constant need to respond anytime someone gets excited. Don't you think it means something when people get excited and then they wait for you to respond, knowing what you will say?

Sorry you feel its idiotic, I could quote some posts I feel are super idiotic in this forum but I wont because that is kind of disrespectful to say things like that. :shrug: If you want to argue a point, fine, but to start name calling is not necessary. Read Until the End Of The World. Flannigan states they decided to record an album during their four months off, then add the month and a half they worked on it while still on tour. :shrug: Hey, I may be slightly off also. I'm just very confident the process took well over 6 weeks to complete based on the information provided. The only thing I can think of is maybe the are counting the total number of days they were actually in the studio came out to 6 weeks. But the actual time frame took much longer. Which is what I'm placing in the context of this supposed new album this year. The time just isnt there IMO.

OK, I'm done with this also. While I dont appreciate the idiotic comment I will leave it as well. Congratulations on the baby and I hope all goes well with you on that. :up:

I have my doubts too that an album comes out this fall, and to be sincere, I believe more in Edge than in what Adam said.

What I think is that everybody is ignoring what happened in 1988/1989... The Rattle And Hum album/movie had the hype in the late 1988 summer, but the Lovetown tour only started after mid 1989.
What tell you that something similar cannot happen again? What if the new album came out in May 2007, for instance and the next tour in the beggining of 2008 (and not necessarily in the Us, that perhaps could get less shows than in Vertigo Tour)? Is possible to have to hypes in promotion... One in the album releasement time and another one in the 2007 fall/beggining of the tour in 2008. If marketing succeeds it's pretty possible.

Remember that Rubin is no Flood/Eno/Lanois and he's always producing several albums at the same time, so the work at the studio may be not that extended and the album can come out sooner than what we think if Universal decides to pull out a new kind of promotion to U2.

Back
Top Bottom