This album will do poorly on US Radio... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2004, 10:58 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 04:00 PM
This album will do poorly on US Radio...

Vertigo has been a moderate success.

That said, after a few listens, I don't think that there is anything on this album that is going to break into mainstream US radio play.

US radio wants bubble gum pop and vertigo is the only thing on HTDAAB with even a hint of that feel.

While I love this album I hate to say it, I don't think we'll hear any of the other songs on radio much at all.

It's gonna be like ATYCLB - where BD was the only song most people even knew on the album. HTDAAB will have this same thing happen with Vertigo.

Too bad for the casual listener because there are some real gems on HTDAAB...

Old 11-24-2004, 11:01 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:00 AM
"Sometimes" will do great on pop radio, as will "All Because Of You".

Old 11-24-2004, 11:13 AM   #3
Acrobat

Excuse my French, but f*ck US radio. (And, I am an American.)
Old 11-24-2004, 11:17 AM   #4
War Child

I have to agree.... who cares really. A lot of people won't listen to U2 on principle, no matter how good the music. Radio play probably accounts for a very small part of "new" sales now.

Word of mouth and music TV will pick up any stragglers.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:20 AM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:00 AM
I have to brag on the radio station I listen to--they have been playing most of the tracks and listeners have been responding how much they love the new U2. Have even been hearing more "oldies" from U2 lately on that station too.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:21 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I beg to differ - ORIGINAL OF THE SPECIES will undoubtedly own US radio
Old 11-24-2004, 11:22 AM   #7
War Child

To bad as U2 is played a few times a day here in dk, and im sure more of the songs will be too,
Old 11-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 09:00 AM
if radio doesnt want this music then radio doesnt deserve this music.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #9
Phi
The Fly

No offence, but your US radio is terrible. Most stations I've heard in Chicago, Virginia, Florida areas are 80% commercials, 10% some guy and girl talking, and 10% playing a 5 song rotation over and over.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:06 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

it's nothing that will hinder U2 though - there is heavy rotation on around only 20 songs on US radio, but it doesn't mean all of the other artists who don't fall into that category don't do well
Old 11-24-2004, 12:08 PM   #11
War Child

US radio sucks, by far, much more than anything I've heard from anywhere else in the world. It is below god-awful. And I'm an American.

But, BD was definitely not the only thing most people knew from ATYCLB. "Stuck" was huge in this country, and "Walk On" and "Elevation" had lots of airplay.

I hear "Stuck" much more than BD here (unfortunately, since, IMO, it's so blah).
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:09 PM   #12
The Fly

Get satellite radio. XM is very good and only $9 per month. Well worth it for the variety and no commercials. They also play a wide variety of U2 -- I've heard everything from 11 O'Clock Tick Tock to The Hands That Build America to Vertigo.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
War Child

Satellite radio (specifically XM) is WELL worth the $9.99 per month. I HIGHLY recommend it.
"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 11-24-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Phi
No offence, but your US radio is terrible. Most stations I've heard in Chicago, Virginia, Florida areas are 80% commercials, 10% some guy and girl talking, and 10% playing a 5 song rotation over and over.
Exactly, which is why I don't give a crap as to how US radio plays it, if at all.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:25 PM   #15
Refugee

ATYCLB was a bit more radio friendly, but that album did fantastic on the radio at one point during the height of Elevation there were 4 U2 songs in extremely heavy rotation (Walk On, Elevation, Beautiful Day and Stuck) Beautiful Day is still in many stations Top 100s. It all depends on market. If it does poorly in Wichita, that doesnt mean its not getting played every 5 minutes in Boston, New York or LA. Mid market stations all take their cue from the big boys in the big cities, so it takes a while for that impact to trickle down from say Seattles The End 104 to Gainesville, FL's Rock 104. Vertigo has been pretty standard across the board, but on modern rock stations it averages at least 9-10 spins a day.

Overall, U2 don't have the impact they once did with the younger people and a lot of radio stations are geared towards younger listeners especially rock/pop stations.

I see this album doing as well as ATYCLB on the radio, there are some definite instant "radio" classics or if not classics songs that can do well in heavy rotation. Miracle Drug, Sometimes, and something like Love and Peace (especially when the Trent Reznor mix emerges) are all capable of getting heavy rotation and lots of airplay.

At our station we have had U2 hour every other night for the last week and luckily I've been able to have a hand in the programming. We've averaged at least 10 calls a day for other songs on HTDAAB besides Vertigo and this was before the album was even released.

It's going to do fine on the radio if not surpassing the success ATYCLB did on the radio. The only U2 album(s) that really havent is POP. Zooropa to an extent didnt as well but there was a different atmosphere around that album.

It also depends what time you're listening. It's really easy in the US to gauge how well your favorite band is doing on the radio. If you're listening in the morning thats usually syndicated time for stuff like Howard Stern or your local morning show where those DJs usually have say over what music gets played. Lunchtime is pretty much a standard request hour time, so the time to really listen is probably 1pm-6pm when most people are listening, if you hear the same song at least 4 times in those hours your band is doing extremely well at that station and the demand is obviously there. It's different everywhere, but 1pm-6pm is considered "primetime" after 6 it usually gets segmented as some places will do a request hour or other specific shows. Hell when I worked in SC, we had to do an hour of Metallica every night, and that was fairly (2000-2001) recent too. They may still even be doing it.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:48 PM   #16
Babyface

Local Time: 08:00 AM
The Last DJ

In a few years, Satellite Radio will own regular radio. The only regular radio I consistently listen to is Jim Ladd. In Los Angeles, he is on KLOS 95.5 from 10PM until 2AM and he runs what you used to hear when FM radio first came around, (yeah, I'm getting up there, 41 on Valentine's Day). He plays free-form radio. Meaning he plays what he wants, no rotation, none of that crap, and his show is awesome every single night. He is the only one left to do it that I know of, at least in America on a Mainstream Radio Station.

You can find him here http://www.jimladd.com/
Old 11-24-2004, 02:22 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:00 PM
Re: This album will do poorly on US Radio...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic
Vertigo has been a moderate success.

That said, after a few listens, I don't think that there is anything on this album that is going to break into mainstream US radio play.

US radio wants bubble gum pop and vertigo is the only thing on HTDAAB with even a hint of that feel.

While I love this album I hate to say it, I don't think we'll hear any of the other songs on radio much at all.

It's gonna be like ATYCLB - where BD was the only song most people even knew on the album. HTDAAB will have this same thing happen with Vertigo.

Too bad for the casual listener because there are some real gems on HTDAAB...

your post holds absolutely NO water.

Vertigo was the #1 song added to play lists on rotation all across the country. Its everywhere and growing. Radio Stations are already BEGGING for the next hit. So you are wrong. sorry.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:25 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:00 PM
Will HTDAAB songs be played on the US radio?
Read my lips: I...DON'T...GIVE...A...SHIT
Old 11-24-2004, 02:28 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I agree. It will do horribly on U.S. radio unless U2/management/record company do some MAJOR string pulling and promotion, etc...

They are huge, beautiful, soaring, meaningful songs. Only thing they play here are songs that tell people to Dip it Low, or Lean Back, or Take it Low, etc... LOL. It's pathetic. They don't want to hear the kind of songs U2 does..
Old 11-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #20
The Fly

Local Time: 12:00 PM
If they stop trying to pick "radio friendly" songs they will do well on the radio. They should just make the songs they think are the best from the album into singles. That's why I think choosing ABOY as the second single was a bad idea. They should have chosen something like MD or OOTS. SYCMIOYO is too long.