This album will do poorly on US Radio...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Vertigo has been a moderate success.

That said, after a few listens, I don't think that there is anything on this album that is going to break into mainstream US radio play.

US radio wants bubble gum pop and vertigo is the only thing on HTDAAB with even a hint of that feel.

While I love this album I hate to say it, I don't think we'll hear any of the other songs on radio much at all.

It's gonna be like ATYCLB - where BD was the only song most people even knew on the album. HTDAAB will have this same thing happen with Vertigo.

Too bad for the casual listener because there are some real gems on HTDAAB...

I have to agree.... who cares really. A lot of people won't listen to U2 on principle, no matter how good the music. Radio play probably accounts for a very small part of "new" sales now.

Word of mouth and music TV will pick up any stragglers.

I have to brag on the radio station I listen to--they have been playing most of the tracks and listeners have been responding how much they love the new U2. Have even been hearing more "oldies" from U2 lately on that station too.

To bad as U2 is played a few times a day here in dk, and im sure more of the songs will be too, :wink:

No offence, but your US radio is terrible. Most stations I've heard in Chicago, Virginia, Florida areas are 80% commercials, 10% some guy and girl talking, and 10% playing a 5 song rotation over and over.

it's nothing that will hinder U2 though - there is heavy rotation on around only 20 songs on US radio, but it doesn't mean all of the other artists who don't fall into that category don't do well :)

US radio sucks, by far, much more than anything I've heard from anywhere else in the world. It is below god-awful. And I'm an American.

But, BD was definitely not the only thing most people knew from ATYCLB. "Stuck" was huge in this country, and "Walk On" and "Elevation" had lots of airplay.

I hear "Stuck" much more than BD here (unfortunately, since, IMO, it's so blah).

Get satellite radio. XM is very good and only $9 per month. Well worth it for the variety and no commercials. They also play a wide variety of U2 -- I've heard everything from 11 O'Clock Tick Tock to The Hands That Build America to Vertigo.

Satellite radio (specifically XM) is WELL worth the $9.99 per month. I HIGHLY recommend it.

ATYCLB was a bit more radio friendly, but that album did fantastic on the radio at one point during the height of Elevation there were 4 U2 songs in extremely heavy rotation (Walk On, Elevation, Beautiful Day and Stuck) Beautiful Day is still in many stations Top 100s. It all depends on market. If it does poorly in Wichita, that doesnt mean its not getting played every 5 minutes in Boston, New York or LA. Mid market stations all take their cue from the big boys in the big cities, so it takes a while for that impact to trickle down from say Seattles The End 104 to Gainesville, FL's Rock 104. Vertigo has been pretty standard across the board, but on modern rock stations it averages at least 9-10 spins a day.

Overall, U2 don't have the impact they once did with the younger people and a lot of radio stations are geared towards younger listeners especially rock/pop stations.

I see this album doing as well as ATYCLB on the radio, there are some definite instant "radio" classics or if not classics songs that can do well in heavy rotation. Miracle Drug, Sometimes, and something like Love and Peace (especially when the Trent Reznor mix emerges) are all capable of getting heavy rotation and lots of airplay.

At our station we have had U2 hour every other night for the last week and luckily I've been able to have a hand in the programming. We've averaged at least 10 calls a day for other songs on HTDAAB besides Vertigo and this was before the album was even released.

It's going to do fine on the radio if not surpassing the success ATYCLB did on the radio. The only U2 album(s) that really havent is POP. Zooropa to an extent didnt as well but there was a different atmosphere around that album.

It also depends what time you're listening. It's really easy in the US to gauge how well your favorite band is doing on the radio. If you're listening in the morning thats usually syndicated time for stuff like Howard Stern or your local morning show where those DJs usually have say over what music gets played. Lunchtime is pretty much a standard request hour time, so the time to really listen is probably 1pm-6pm when most people are listening, if you hear the same song at least 4 times in those hours your band is doing extremely well at that station and the demand is obviously there. It's different everywhere, but 1pm-6pm is considered "primetime" after 6 it usually gets segmented as some places will do a request hour or other specific shows. Hell when I worked in SC, we had to do an hour of Metallica every night, and that was fairly (2000-2001) recent too. They may still even be doing it.

Last edited:
The Last DJ

In a few years, Satellite Radio will own regular radio. The only regular radio I consistently listen to is Jim Ladd. In Los Angeles, he is on KLOS 95.5 from 10PM until 2AM and he runs what you used to hear when FM radio first came around, (yeah, I'm getting up there, 41 on Valentine's Day). He plays free-form radio. Meaning he plays what he wants, no rotation, none of that crap, and his show is awesome every single night. He is the only one left to do it that I know of, at least in America on a Mainstream Radio Station.

You can find him here http://www.jimladd.com/

Zoocoustic said:
Vertigo has been a moderate success.

That said, after a few listens, I don't think that there is anything on this album that is going to break into mainstream US radio play.

US radio wants bubble gum pop and vertigo is the only thing on HTDAAB with even a hint of that feel.

While I love this album I hate to say it, I don't think we'll hear any of the other songs on radio much at all.

It's gonna be like ATYCLB - where BD was the only song most people even knew on the album. HTDAAB will have this same thing happen with Vertigo.

Too bad for the casual listener because there are some real gems on HTDAAB...

your post holds absolutely NO water.

Vertigo was the #1 song added to play lists on rotation all across the country. Its everywhere and growing. Radio Stations are already BEGGING for the next hit. So you are wrong. sorry.

Will HTDAAB songs be played on the US radio?
Read my lips: I...DON'T...GIVE...A...SHIT

I agree. It will do horribly on U.S. radio unless U2/management/record company do some MAJOR string pulling and promotion, etc...

They are huge, beautiful, soaring, meaningful songs. Only thing they play here are songs that tell people to Dip it Low, or Lean Back, or Take it Low, etc... LOL. It's pathetic. They don't want to hear the kind of songs U2 does..

If they stop trying to pick "radio friendly" songs they will do well on the radio. They should just make the songs they think are the best from the album into singles. That's why I think choosing ABOY as the second single was a bad idea. They should have chosen something like MD or OOTS. SYCMIOYO is too long.

mkjc said:
If they stop trying to pick "radio friendly" songs they will do well on the radio. They should just make the songs they think are the best from the album into singles. That's why I think choosing ABOY as the second single was a bad idea. They should have chosen something like MD or OOTS. SYCMIOYO is too long.

Related to this, I think though Vertigo is catchy it shouldn't have been chosen either. The only reason it's doing so well is that 30 seconds of it was force fed during the iPod commercial.

Fuck corporate bullshit American radio. Excuse the harsh language, but I absolutely LOATHE radio in America. I live in the middle of America, it's MUCH worse here than in the big markets.

But to answer the question, All Because of You has a good chance of being as succesful as Vertigo.

OOTS and Sometimes, might get decent amount. Both have a better shot than Stuck In A Moment.

All Because of You i think will do pretty well on the radio...short, rocking, fast tempo, catchy melody

This batch of songs will make radio play all over the States my friends..... the tour will kick start this album again. (If you think about it this a great marketing strategy to release an album in the Fall and not tour it until the Spring. Makes for a longer album life).

I hope U2 does well on the radio and I actually don't see why they won't considering Coldplay got a lot of airplay from what I understand. Hell, I hear Clocks, In My Place, The Scientist, Trouble, etc... all the time... If they can get airplay, U2 can... it helps that U2 gets critical acclaim as well (sort of to add legitimacy to the playlist of a radio station IMO).

But to be honest, I don't care that much b/c I rarely listen to rock/ contemporary radio at all these days.

If USA radio sucks then Kansas City radio must kick butt!!!
I have heard three trips given away, I have heard the WHOLE album THREE times and know its been played at least FIVE, I have heard vertigo plenty, etc. U2 is on the radio if you live in the right places...

hi all,
am not sure if this is the right thread to raise this question but just curious here to know the ethnic distribution of listeners and fans of u2 in the states.

in asia, of course we're all asians here so just want to know if u2 caters only mostly to the anglo-saxons.

Phi said:
Most stations...are 80% commercials, 10% some guy and girl talking, and 10% playing a 5 song rotation over and over.

Man, I think you've nailed it. You should come to the US and work for the radio. You've got it all figured out.

Sometimes it takes a neighbor to the north to show us the way. And I'm not being facetious; well, maybe I am since I have to point out that I'm not.

Back
Top Bottom