They're Remixing Pop!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Auxtung Beibi

Babyface
...or so the rumor goes. U2log.com erroneously reported that a conversation with the band led to the Edge's revelation that U2 were remixing Zooropa. Not so, they now report... he said POP !!!!

So what does this mean? I'm torn, personally. On the one hand, MHO is that if any U2 record suffered from a lack of production, it was POP. Remixes tend to be bombastic and useless, but I've always seen POP as an 80% finished work, so I think it could benefit from a good remixin'

The other hand? "You glorify the past when the future dries up." Shouldn't they just accept POP in all its raw glory and move on?

Also, I wouldn't want them to remix it at this point in their careers. I'd fear the new POP to be too, well, "pop-y" in the ATYCLB sense. Hey, it worked great on ATYCLB, but it would ruin the mood (and irony, for that matter) of POP.

Still, if the shortcomings of POP are nagging at them SO much that it's impeding their new work, and if they can somehow revive the animal spirits that are so present on POP, I say go for it. Until we hear more, I'm approaching this with enthusiastic skepticism: can't wait to hear the final product, but can U2 suddenly place themselves back in 1996 given the success of ATYCLB in 2001?

Maybe they'll give a CD with those new remixes away for free with the final Propaganda! :love:

Or maybe not... :|

Who knows what they're doing, or why, or if the rumor is even true for that matter. Sounds interesting though.

interesting! I love Edge for his desire to remix everything!

I can't see them re-releasing an entire NEW Pop :huh: Butttt ever since I heard Larry state that SATS should have been a "fucking big hit" (or something to that effect!) I've been extremely curious to see their finished interpretation of a song whose sound I really love. This could be very interesting. We are going to be getting a lot of new music soon.. am I the only who feels like ATYCLB only came out a few months ago??

:D

I think they misinterpreted edge's comments. he's probably talking about doing a mix of 2-3 tunes off pop for the greatest hits cd, just like there's new mixes of the tunes on greatest hits 1980-90.
the only sensical explanation. anyway, they don't know the difference between zooropa and pop?

Who knows what's really gonna happen... but It'd be really really interesting to hear some new versions of Pop songs .. then again, maybe they're just talking about the single versions.

:)ohmy: @ SKeeK's avatar)

I love Pop as it is, rushed and "unfinised", but I think it would be pretty cool to see the band's vision for the album fully realized.

If this is true, I am guessing that it will be strictly the Pop songs that make it on the next Best Of. The more we hear about these kind of rumours, the more I am believing that this new Best Of will have a lot of "new" stuff for the long time fans. 2 new tracks, freshly remixed Pop tracks (could be as many as 4 of these), and a B-sides and rarities disc that is, more than likely than not, going to contain a couple of tracks that we all need to complete our collection.

When I first heard about a new Best Of, I was looking forward to it. Now days, I am dying to get my greedy hands on it. This new Best Of is definetly aiming to please the long time fans just as much as the newer fans who only recently discovered U2 through All That... . I can't wait!

u2popmofo said:
Who knows what they're doing, or why, or if the rumor is even true for that matter. Sounds interesting though.

Speaking of rumors, there have been reports that at least one of the songs they're working on right now actually goes back to the Pop sessions, and, not surprisingly, it's one that they didn't get to finish then but they are "finishing" it. *JUST A RUMOR*!!!! I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it's true. If so maybe the Pop remix rumor is from this. Since I haven't seen it in any news I'm going to assume that the remix thing is a rumor. We really don't know if anything's definite except for the Best of release of a single and that album.

Were'nt all the songs that were released as singles off "POP" remixed anyway? I know "Please" was, and many people liked the single mix better.

I can only speculate, but I wonder if "Discotheque" on the new Best of is going to sound like the "Elevation" tour version--more rock 'n roll? Just a thought. Yeah, I know some people are saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". But it got some damn good response when they played it that way on the Elevation tour and personally I like both versions.

I hope they're only remixing a few tracks and aren't going to release Pop again. It doesn't matter how much remixing you do to that album, it's still going to be U2's weakest studio album for me. While it could be interesting to see if they can make Mofo, Last Night on Earth, Miami and If You Wear That Velvet Dress worthwhile tracks this time around, it still would be a pointless record that I wouldn't play much because I'm not a big fan of changing things that have already been finished.

Taking this rumour seriously (although I doubt it's true), I think it's a bad idea. Pop is a masterpiece. They said they didn't get to do what they wanted due to time constraints, but it's good as it is. Not to mention it could be very well labeled as "selling out". It would also be following the recent (stupid) trend of bands/singers releasing remixed albums to get as much money as possible out of one album.

At least it doesn't sound very realistic.

DrTeeth said:
Maybe they'll give a CD with those new remixes away for free with the final Propaganda! :love: |
that would be just about the amount of money I'd be willing to spend on it

POP doesn't need remix

elevatedmole said:
Taking this rumour seriously (although I doubt it's true), I think it's a bad idea. Pop is a masterpiece. They said they didn't get to do what they wanted due to time constraints, but it's good as it is. Not to mention it could be very well labeled as "selling out". It would also be following the recent (stupid) trend of bands/singers releasing remixed albums to get as much money as possible out of one album.

At least it doesn't sound very realistic.

i like your thoughts

Well, when it comes to them having to touch the material from Pop--and they pretty much have to for this particular compilation--they are going to have to do something that many people disagree with as it's their least popular album. They can't exactly pretend like the thing never existed. It's actually quite a difficult position to be in.....it could be they don't want to touch the damn thing but think they've got to. U2 have always been a "duty" driven bunch of guys.

I trust them...whatever they?re doing, they?re doing their best. If they think Pop need some rework and are excited about that than I feel good.

Btw, man at work ;)

studiojuly252002-l.jpg

:love:

Well, considering how well the single remix of Please turned out, the fact they are remixing the rest of Pop - or at least some of the other Pop tracks - sounds like great news to me.

JOFO said:

bow 'bout a remix of hands that built america?

Hahaha..thought I might be the only one that heard this and saw nightmares of searching for U2 singles in the Adult Contemporary section. Although I didn't like much of the ATYCLB clips I heard either until I heard them finished. Bollocks.

pop sounds great , maybe some lyrics are not quite good , but the sound and mix is perfect .

I wish they re-release remixed version of WAR , Boy , October , Unforgettable Fire and Joshua tree with full texts , pictures and bonus tracks and sound like they have on Best of 1980-1990 .

Actually, if one album were to be redone, I would want it to be War. War is such a great album, but Bono wasn't singing to well on it. I'd like to see how that album would sound now if it was recorded with how good Bono sings now.

Discotheque Is On

Actually, Discotheque is one of the tracks that is being remixed. Adam himself told me as he was giving me and my 2 friends a ride home from Hanover Quay the other night. They had just finished "Hands" that morning. I took some digital video of him as I was getting out of the car, he was really nice to give me the ride and his Mercedes A-series is damn cool. Chris

Re: Discotheque Is On

ChrisManno said:
Actually, Discotheque is one of the tracks that is being remixed. Adam himself told me as he was giving me and my 2 friends a ride home from Hanover Quay the other night. They had just finished "Hands" that morning. I took some digital video of him as I was getting out of the car, he was really nice to give me the ride and his Mercedes A-series is damn cool. Chris

Why does this not surprise me? After all *I* really liked the "Elevation" version of "Discotheque". This pleases some of us...there's no way in hell you can please everyone. Forget it, it's not going to happen.

i think it' looks like only a few tracks from POP which will go into new " best Of " compilation will be remixed .

the only song i think that they should remix is gone cause i think that live version with edge singing backup is amazing......far better than the album version.

Back
Top Bottom