"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2..."

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
"There's a lot of people that expect a lot of things from U2, and people will never get what they expect." -- Bono, 1982

He said this in 1982! True, true words to this day. That's why I'll always love this band. I didn't love 'E-Storm' when I first heard it, but I have to admit, I never expected it. In fact, I haven't expected anything this band has ever released, EVER. Even when they came out and told the world, before the release of ATYCLB, that it was going to be a soul album, a simple album, an album that "pushed out the boarders of embarrassment," and that it was a very "uncool record," I still didn't expect what I heard that first time -- not at all. Edge said they wanted to "shock people, but in a subtle way," with ATYCLB. They've always been surprising. That, no one can argue.

On a side note, I LOVE the guitar ending of the radio and album versions of 'E-Storm'!! Totally ROCKS!:)

Last edited:
U2 are prophetic

After the massive success of ZOO TV, people expected a massive hit album with great artistic and musical qualities for U2's 1997 release, they didn't get it.

After the massive failure of POP, people expected U2 to never recover and go into commercial-failure-oblivion wth their next album, to join the likes of Springsteen, Radiohead, REM and Rolling Stones --- well ATYCLB proved everyone wrong.

U2 do indeed aim to shock.

U2 do indeed always give the unexpected.

U2 always prove us wrong.

As the Zoo TV slogan said, Everything You Know Is Wrong.

Cheers,

J

I believe what you're saying, Michael, is that...

<ahem>

You can't always get what you want.
But if you try sometimes,
You just might find
You get what you need.

:)

I just heard E-Storm on the radio for the first time and I :heart: it so much!!!!! and it wasn't what I expected at all, I instantly tried to figure out what it sounded like of all the music in their past, and I came up with nothing. It's totally different.

and it's pop (not *pop*) but I luuuuuurve it!!!! :D
yay for U2, for the band that keeps on surprising me, and always in a good way! i will NEVER be bored of them. i was watching some Cher thing today ( :eek: ) and someone said she is the eternal phoenix. I look at U2 that way. they never stop reinventing themselves and yet they always stay true to themselves :heart:

hey, does anyone know if E-Storm is supposed to be the 'direction' theyre taking with their music now?

Achtung Bubba said:
I believe what you're saying, Michael, is that...

<ahem>

But if you try sometimes,
You just might find
You get what you need.

:)

:love: That is probably my favorite song by The Stones! :up:

Michael Griffiths said:
[B In fact, I haven't expected anything this band has ever released, EVER.

Nor have I, but I think that's because I don't expect anything. By that, I mean, if/when I try to say "I wonder what the next U2 will be like", I come up a blank. Possibly, because after nearly 20 years, I subconsciously know it's pointless to try. :)

Back
Top Bottom