There is some hope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImOuttaControl

Refugee
I'm a middle school teacher. Most of my students listen to music that is absolute crap--Rap or pop-punk. Basically, if it's not new and trendy(on MTV) it must not be good music according to them. My number one goal is to be a good teacher and all that encompasses. My number 2 goal is to expose my students to other forms of music. :D

I've come up with some interesting conclusions. Obviously some students won't approach a band like U2 or the Beatles with an open mind, but a lot of my students are starting to warm up to something other than Hot 100 hits. The Beatles "Come Together," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Hey Jude" and "I Am The Walrus" are being requested in my study hall! "Can you play the song that talks about the eggman?"

As for U2, my students are really starting to warm up to Achtung Baby and Pop. They thought the Chicago DVD was really cool and it's fun to hear students singing along to Elevation when it comes on during study hall. Basically, it's really cool to know that U2 can still strike a chord with people who weren't even born when Achtung Baby came out. What's sad is that I know the majority of teenagers aren't exposed to the great music that has come before. As I always tell my students who say "The Beatles suck...or U2 sucks, they're old:" If you limit yourself only to what's new and popular, you're missing out.

Finally, my students know I'm a huge fan so I was really suprised when a girl came into class today and said"I heard a U2 song called Gloria or something...it was cool!" I brought "Boy" into school the next day and played it during some worktime in class and she was getting into that too, saying "hey this sounds like the killers:ohmy:. I did have to correct her that the Killers have been really influenced by U2, but I'll have to make an old school U2 mix and bring it in for her next week. Any ideas on a good old school mix? I'm thinking:

1. Gloria
2. Like A Song
3. Pride
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. Out of Control
8. Stories For Boys
9. I Will Follow
10. Bad
11. October
12. New Year's Day
13. Electric Co.
14. Is That All? (crappy lyrics I know, but you can't beat the awesome guitar riff)

I think it's a good selection. I would add Fire, Two Hearts Beat As One and Drowning Man. And maybe 40. But it's up to you and I don't know your students. Anyway I think this is a godd idea and I wish you good luck.

Awesome story, ImOuttacontrol

I don't fault teenagers for not liking U2, but they should really listen to the early stuff like Boy, October and War, because those albums sound like the cool bands of today, like the Killers and Green Day. Boy, October and War are so raw and kick-ass, just like the Killers and Green Day.
Now if you can get some of them to wear U2 t-shirts, preferably from Boy and War.

:)

ImOuttaControl said:
I'm a middle school teacher. Most of my students listen to music that is absolute crap--Rap or pop-punk. Basically, if it's not new and trendy(on MTV) it must not be good music according to them. My number one goal is to be a good teacher and all that encompasses. My number 2 goal is to expose my students to other forms of music. :D

I've come up with some interesting conclusions. Obviously some students won't approach a band like U2 or the Beatles with an open mind, but a lot of my students are starting to warm up to something other than Hot 100 hits. The Beatles "Come Together," "Strawberry Fields Forever," "Hey Jude" and "I Am The Walrus" are being requested in my study hall! "Can you play the song that talks about the eggman?"

As for U2, my students are really starting to warm up to Achtung Baby and Pop. They thought the Chicago DVD was really cool and it's fun to hear students singing along to Elevation when it comes on during study hall. Basically, it's really cool to know that U2 can still strike a chord with people who weren't even born when Achtung Baby came out. What's sad is that I know the majority of teenagers aren't exposed to the great music that has come before. As I always tell my students who say "The Beatles suck...or U2 sucks, they're old:" If you limit yourself only to what's new and popular, you're missing out.

Finally, my students know I'm a huge fan so I was really suprised when a girl came into class today and said"I heard a U2 song called Gloria or something...it was cool!" I brought "Boy" into school the next day and played it during some worktime in class and she was getting into that too, saying "hey this sounds like the killers:ohmy:. I did have to correct her that the Killers have been really influenced by U2, but I'll have to make an old school U2 mix and bring it in for her next week. Any ideas on a good old school mix? I'm thinking:

1. Gloria
2. Like A Song
3. Pride
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. Out of Control
8. Stories For Boys
9. I Will Follow
10. Bad
11. October
12. New Year's Day
13. Electric Co.
14. Is That All? (crappy lyrics I know, but you can't beat the awesome guitar riff)

I would add: Two Hearts, 40, A Sort of Homecoming, Wire, maybe these two, I Threw a Brick, 11 o'clock tick tock. :wink:

ImOuttaControl said:

1. Gloria
2. Like A Song
3. Pride
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday
5. An Cat Dubh
6. Into The Heart
7. Out of Control
8. Stories For Boys
9. I Will Follow
10. Bad
11. October
12. New Year's Day
13. Electric Co.

My brother and I are both middle schoolers and I understand what you are saying about the music that most kids listen to these days (although I don't). It's great that you are trying to influence them with some U2!!! :D The mix looks pretty good...you have all my favorites on there :up:

Tempting to fill up an entire CD-R but maybe better to go with an “album’s” worth of tracks - the cream of the crop

A Sort Of Homecoming
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year’s Day
Pride
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad (Wide Awake In America)
Gloria (Under A Blood Red Sky)
I Will Follow
Out Of Control (Sweetest Thing single)
Electric Co. (Under A Blood Red Sky)
11 Tick Tock (Under A Blood Red Sky)

hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
POP Music ( u2 mix )
Mofo phunk force remix
Sunday Bloody Sunday
I Will Follow
Vertigo ( live from chicago )
Miami ( live from Las Vegas )
Playboy Mansion
Gone
Mysterious Ways
Electrcal Storm
Big Girls Are Best
Holy Joe

what the?! You got the right thread?? :ohmy:

concerning the original list, I'd personally remove the Unforgettable Fire material to make room for more Boy/October/War stuff if you're going for proper 'Old School U2'. Like the first reply said, "40", 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Threw a Brick all great suggestions! Also how about Rejoice? Treasure? A Day Without Me?

Last edited:
Okay Gareth, just from the first 3 albums. An “album’s” worth of tracks - the cream of the crop.

I Will Follow
Gloria (Under A Blood Red Sky)
Out Of Control (Sweetest Thing single)
11 Tick Tock (Under A Blood Red Sky)
Electric Co. (Under A Blood Red Sky)
New Year’s Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday
I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Like A Song
Rejoice
A Day Without Me

gareth brown said:
what the?! You got the right thread?? :ohmy:

concerning the original list, I'd personally remove the Unforgettable Fire material to make room for more Boy/October/War stuff if you're going for proper 'Old School U2'. Like the first reply said, "40", 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Threw a Brick all great suggestions! Also how about Rejoice? Treasure? A Day Without Me?

Well, considering that TUF is now about 22 years old it is pretty much "old school U2." I think Pride/Bad have that sound that goes well with the first 3 albums.

Anyways, I did make my original tracklisting for one of my students and she's loving it. Suprisingly to me, she thinks Gloria is the best one on that list, followed by New Year's Day and October. Pretty cool.

They're only middle school kids!
I am sure when they are older they will start exploring other types of music

Up until I was about 18 I only listened to what was about - on the radio or TV.

It wasn't really til I got the internet and the freedom to listen to ANYTHING that I got into U2 (Beautiful Day and WOWY were really the only songs I knew by then)

If the internet did not exist then I seriously doubt I would be spending £15 a time on buying 14 U2 albums without having a clue what was on them (and all the other albums I have listen to free of charge on the net!)

Remember that kids today will get better exposure/access than we ever did. During teenage years they'll 'generally' follow the crowd, but once they get a bit older, the opportunities the net opens up in regards to discovery and access to new music are amazing. There have been two trends in the music industry since file sharing took off. One is the overall drop in CD sales, the other is the diversification of the sales being made. The old 80/20 rule is applying less and less. More people are opening up to more things. I know in Australia #1 albums and obviously singles are requiring far less sales than ever before, not just because of a drop in CD sales overall, the two are not in line.

Back
Top Bottom