theme of new album, tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rymyx

The Fly
ok your thoughts on what the theme(s) of the new album will be< the way the songs will be presented (tourwise). We are working with little info but what we do have we should be able to brainstorm, plus its fun.

i think the new album will deal with the following themes;

being lost
family
war

if the title is going to be "HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB",
i believe there will be multiple themes,

1. politics
2. breakdown of family and personal relationships

i believe that 'electrical storm" will turn out to be more of a hint than we had previously thought with themes of an uneasy political climate and suffering relations of human beings on micro and macro levels.

HOW TO DIFFUSE A BAD SITUATION, HOW TO SOLVE PROBLEMS
Our wars and fucked up world are a projection of how we are inside oursleves, at war mentally, emotionally and spiritually. A war we cannot see or touch.

The more questions the better, answers will be fraudulent, nobody has any yet.

yes ive lost my mind, 12 new songs will reistate my sanity.

I lost my mind back in January when all the speculation started. Has anyone seen it yet?????

I'm sure this album will touch on a few different issue, but it will mean something different to you and to me. That's pretty much the way a U2 album works.

I thought that U2 were going to be a bit more loose than the last time around and act more comical and fun-loving, but apparently the band gave up on that when they got kicked out of Disneyland for feeling goofy.

Eh? Eh? ...ah forget it, I have no freaking idea what they're gonna do.

i really dont think this is going to be a political album. Reason 1 is that Bono himself has said he wants to separate his works with Africa, Aids, and Politics from the music. Reason 2 is that a lot of rock bands are coming out with political music (mostly bashing Bush). I dont see u2 following that pattern, but you never know.

I think the theme will follow the vein of "Kite." I feel there will be some songs about death beacause of the loss of Bono's father, we already know he wrote that rumored song "Tough" for him. And another I heard he recited at his funeral, was it "sometimes you can't make it on your own?" I forgot. It's going to deal with loss and letting go of someone you dont want to let go of.

Last edited:
ill go with rymyx on this one. i beLIEve that the new album will be political, without the specifics that other artists get into in their music. U2 has managed to make several songs that are political in nature that dont name names, such as 'sunday bloody sunday', 'walk on', 'please'. i think that bono saying that he doesnt want to mix his politics and music must be understood on a different basis than in his songwriting. politics has always been a staple in U2 and its definitely in bono's heart. i think if bono asked himself to ignore his efforts in his songwriting, he would be contradicting what he believes his music is for. they are a selfless band and bringing light to a dark and forgotten subject seems to inspire them- example sarajevo. i think about what adam said on the rattle and hum video- something that people who say you cant mix sports and politics or music and politics is bullshit.

another point- back in the 'october' stage, religion was a difficult subject for them to handle and as much as it may have torn them apart at the time, religion is still very present in their music. U2 vaguely supports religion, yet offers enough of a twist that you question the subject and come up with your own answers- example 'if god would send his angels'.

i'm thinking that a song like 'tough' may be tributed to his fathers passing, but with enough open-endedness that a casual listener wont know that it was about bono's father, rather in general about death of a loved one, misunderstanding, etc. of course this is all speculation, but looking into how theyve dealt with similar issues on past songs, i see them going in this direction.

Seems to me if they were going to do political they'd do it in the Walk On vein, rather than the more blatant Sunday Bloody Sunday or even Please one. Same if they do religion, or specific relationships, or anything else. Somehow, Bono seems to be good at subtlery in his lyrics, if not... anything else. :wink: (And we love him for it, of course.)

I really hope that rumor about a song for his dad is true. Other than that, well, I trust them. Bono's being scrupulously nonpartisan, so you know he's not going to even mention USA politics - even if the election weren't the same month.

Well, all will be revealed eventually...

Back
Top Bottom