The Zooropa album and ur opinions bout the rattle and hum album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ericb

The Fly
I like a few songs off Zooropa, but I don't listen to it that often. It's actually my least favorite U2 album.

Rattle And Hum I think is ok, but some of those studio tracks sound like the vocals are a bit strained, like on Angel Of Harlem, a song that I think is better live, and Heartland.

I went to see the premier of the film in London, and it kicked major butt, but now R&H is prob my least favourite album. There are some fantastic tracks on it (personal favs are helter skelter, hawkmoon, God Part II, All I Want is You). The version of Still Haven't Found is awesome too.

But unfortunately for me, all the other albums are just soo much better
smile.gif

I love Zooropa. I went through a phase two weeks ago where I listened to Lemon like 5,000 times. Swear to God.

Rattle and Hum is an average album. I really like some of the stuff (Heartland, Helter Skelter, Desire, AIWIY, Pride live) but it's not incredible.

------------------
"A word I've always liked more than happiness is joy. Happiness is a mood that comes and goes, whereas joy is just there." -Bono

The CIRCLE only has one side.

MESH RULES!!!!!
(thanks to Bono's American Wife)

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

By U2 standards, its only an average record, though there is some super stuff on it like Hawkmoon 269, Heartland, and All I Want is You.

I think the problem with R & H is that it's kind of a halfway record. If it was a double CD of the ten new songs and all of the live performances from the movie, then it would've kicked all kinds of ass.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

I got the record in 88. It was the first album that I ever owned. I was 10 years old and I hated it at first. But the reason I had it was beceause me, my mom and dad were on a trip to Florida so I had nothing else to listen to. By the end of the trip I could not stop listening to it. I think its a great CD to getr your feet wet with.

Well firstly I can't stop myself from playing the Zooropa album these days,don't ya all agree that its just a PURE CLASS ALBUM?

I have only 1 more album to get then my U2 collection is COMPLETE....well exept for singles,bootlegs etc. The album I need to complete my collection is RATTLE AND HUM..your opinions on the album please?

------------------
Blood Group...U2 POSITIVE

I bought Rattle and Hum when it first came out. It was actually the first album I bought on cd, so I listened to it all the time on my new player. At the time I thought it was the greatest album ever. I don't listen to it too often anymore, but Heartland and All I Want is You are still two of my favorite songs.

------------------
Earth people, New York to California.
Earth people, I was born on Jupiter.

I think that Rattle & Hum is very underrated by many, which may be due to the negative reaction from most critics when it was released. "All I Want Is You" is one of the most beautiful songs ever...and I also adore "Love Rescue Me"..."Angel of Harlem"..."Desire"..."Hawkmoon 269"...oh hell, if I keep going, I'll name off the entire album. *lol*
biggrin.gif

Get it! It's wonderful!!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

You don't have R&H, but you have Zooropa?
Get R&H, it's worth it. I love it, in fact, I'm taking it with me to work today.

I may be biased, because 'Rattle n' Hum' was my first real introduction to U2. I think that it is a great album though. There is a lot of passion in the songs on it. U2 took alot of musical risks with this album, but IMHO most of them worked. It is definatly worth owning for any fan.

As for Zooropa. I loved it when it first came out, and listened to it alot. I think that it must have been the high from Actung Baby, because I don't like it that much anymore. I just find it to be more boring then most of the other albums.

Zooropa is definitely one of the most underrated U2 albums around (add October to that list as well). It's musically daring and inventive and definitely on the top of my list.
smile.gif

Both albums have some wondeful stuff on them. Rattle'n'Hum would be way better off without the live songs and "Love Rescue Me", though, and half of Zooropa's songs are kinda half-baked and IMO lack the punch of U2's best work (Dirty Day and Daddy's Gonna Pay... kicked ass live though, the latter mostly thanks to inimitable Mr McPhisto,
smile.gif
).

See, I don't know whether or not to even count the Rattle And Hum songs as a studio album on the same level as any of the other ones, because I don't know if U2 would have put an album together with just those studio tracks minus the live tracks. I mean, they are ok mixed in among the live tracks, but would U2 have released an album with just those studio tracks, leaving it the same. My guess is it would have been different. What do you all think?

Hmmmm - i like Desire, Hawkmoon, God part II, All i want is you, Heartland, Angel of Harlem and Love rescue me.
Live versions of Pride and I still haven't found... are nice too.

I dunno - i think it's a good album, it would be even better without the live songs and all the collaboration and only U2 songs on it.
It's rock'n'roll U2 style, i guess. Try listening to it at the CD store and see for yourself how you like it, welshgirl.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 02-16-2002).]

R&H is a nice album, though somewhat eclectic. Personally I've got a few faves on it and some un-faves too. Hawkmoon 269, All I Want is You, Silver & Gold and Bullet live version are really worth it. I don't fancy much of the U2 + American roots stuff like Angel of Harlem or the I Still Haven't Found "gospel" version and a couple of other songs like Van Diemen's Land (yawwwwn!) and Love Rescue Me (another yawwwwn!). Then there's the Beatles cover Helter Skelter which is good (though never as good as the Beatles original IMO). Nothing to relate it to Zooropa though.

Zooropa, wow, that is such a good one. I got stuck on the song Zooropa forEVER! "Uncertainty can be that guiding light" Oh, fabulous!

However, R&H is different by a lot from Zooropa. Um, I burned mine off a friend who burned hers of her brother (hey, U2 has enough money). I like it. There's a bit of give and take on the flow of the album, but hey, it's still U2 and it's still fabulous.

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

Skeek posted a topic while back about the "three most different U2 songs." Well, I think R&H and Zooropa are the two most different albums, in both style and content. And I love 'em both. Have you seen the movie, welshgirl? I know you're gonna buy the CD no matter what
wink.gif

You gotta remember that they always intended the album to be a "scrapbook" of the tour, like a party tape or something -- it doesn't have at all the inner consistency that Zooropa (or any of the studio albums) has. Knowing that, it's a fun, easy listen with some KILLER songs on it, already noted. See the movie, and then the CD will take you there, to Joanou's truly beautiful images...

Deb D

------------------
take some time out and entertain the questions of a
longing heart
-- Steve Beard

the greatest frontman in the world - by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Rattle & Hum is the only U2 album I really have mixed feelings about. It's the only album at the time I felt (and still do to an extent) that they weren't moving forward. And even though Bono claims different, the album does smack of U2 pretending to be the heirs to the throne. I hate to be critical of U2 because I love so much of their music, but some of the record does really seem a bit over the top. If you "don't believe in the 60's, the golden age of pop" why do you "glorify" it by doing versions of Dylan & Beatles songs? Why All Along the Watchtower, a song that every garage band covers, and probably does a better job of? Covers really weren't their strong point at this time. They did improve Watchtower greatly on the LT tour, but I think Everlasting Love or Dancing Barefoot would been better choices to put on the record. It just seems like a band as smart & adventurous as U2 is were a bit lost at the time. Stealing Helter Skelter back & calling a song God Part II...you can see how the critics were ready to pounce. I don't think the movie helped the situation. Even though I was in my teens at the time it came out, I thought the Film & Album were pretty bombastic. I'm sure a double album and major motion picture coming out so soon after the JT tour didn't help matters...

That said, most of the original material is great. Desire, All I Want Is You, LRM, Heartland, WLCTT, Angel Of Harlem....the roots rock tunes have a naive charm about them that sound better to me now than they did then. That's the great thing about CD's & DVD's, you can just skip to your favorite songs.

In a strange way, even though it's my least favorite U2 album, it's probably their most important, because without it, we never would have had Achtung Baby, Zoo TV and the groundbreaking experimental work to follow...some say too experimental, but I would take POP over R & H any day.

Back
Top Bottom