The Zoo World Order(Achtung. Zooropa. Passengers. Pop.)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, one reason that the shock may have been lessened was due to the change in producers. I don't think a Brian Eno-produced album being atmospheric and experimental is all that surprising.

That's a good point. I wonder though how many U2 fans even knew who Brian Eno was let alone the style of his work. U2 fans might have known David Bowie's Berlin work though. :hmm:

That's a good point. I wonder though how many U2 fans even knew who Brian Eno was let alone the style of his work. U2 fans might have known David Bowie's Berlin work though. :hmm:

Or his work with Talking Heads, or Roxy Music, or his solo albums. Guy gets around.

Pop...never caught on with my casual U2 fan friends because it was quickly and unfairly dismissed based on the first three tracks and the Discotech video.

Hey dal975, then we agree on this. I think what happened to your friends, happened to a lot of people. Pop was too quickly dismissed by a lot of people, because they didn't give themselves enough time to digest it..

I remember that every listening I gave to Pop, the songs got stronger and stronger for me. I consider Please and Gone as some of my top favourite U2 songs. It was an album that really needed a lot of listenings. But the funny thing is that the songs for me finally became much stronger compared to songs I like after listening a first time. Songs like elevation for example. I liked it immediately, but I realize I almost never play it on my sound system anymore. When looking at the lyrics, "Pop" belongs to my top 2 U2 albums (together with Achtung Baby), and compared to this album I consider albums like ATYCLB and HTDAAB as much 'weaker'. Maybe your friends like more the mainstream U2.

Back
Top Bottom