"The Work of Director Anton Corbijn"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2dork

Rock n' Roll Doggie
T'was just browsing some upcoming DVD releases and saw this. Forgive me if it's in the wrong forum but I assumed since it's probably heavily laden with U2 footage, it should go here...

Here's the description from Netflix...

Dutch artist Anton Corbijn is known as much for the music videos he directs as his famous photographs. This collection gathers his best work in the former medium, including Propaganda's "Dr. Mabuse," Joy Division's "Atmosphere," Joni Mitchell and Peter Gabriel's "My Secret Place" and Depeche Mode's "It's No Good." Also featured are promotional trailers aired on MTV with Beck and Dave Grohl, interviews with Samantha Morton and U2 and more.

And here's the IMDB page:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0471433/

Releases Sep 13, 2005

I think I remember reading an interview where Anton was talking about this. Did anybody else read that/know what I'm talking about?

Oh, wait...
Apparently, there's a whole series of these mini docs on various video directors. There's also one for Stephane Sednaoui released the same day with a Bono interview.

http://www.directorslabel.com/

There's a trailer on this page with a couple of little snippets of Bono talking about both Stephane and Anton.

I giggled a little when they played a bit of Electrical Storm over the images from Henry Rollins' Liar video.:giggle:

like, 5th edit here: Ooooh, a new director's cut of the Discotheque video! :hmm:

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the director's label series. I've seen the Michel Gondry and Spike Jonze volumes and they're packaged and presented in top form with excellent video and audio quality and special features. I can't wait to check out Anton's and the others, definitely gonna buy it.

I'll make sure to check out his work as a director. :up:
Simply because of his work as a photographer, it was absolutely breath-taking, incredible and overall fascinating ... U2 & I: The Photographs 1982-2004 :bow: :love: :applaud: :heart:

:bump:

I rented both of these movies and watched most of them tonight and I HIGHLY recommend both of them. They both get a :up: from me.

The disks have new director's cuts of videos (Anton - One, Stephane - Discotheque) with new parts to them. Nothing big, just brief moments where you say to yourself "I don't remember seeing that before." There are also really good/interesting interviews with various artists that go into detail about how the directors work. Both Bono interviews made me smile.

I like that both disks are chocked full of information. I think I might actually purchase these at some point and since I don't actually ever buy DVDs unless I'm going to watch them over and over and over again, that should say something.

U2dork said:
Oh, wait...
Apparently, there's a whole series of these mini docs on various video directors. There's also one for Stephane Sednaoui released the same day with a Bono interview.

I always equate Stephane as being Kylie's former boyfriend (when she was interesting :wink: ) moreso than a video director for U2.

Back
Top Bottom