The Unforgettable Fire Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Where do I begin? It's just so...atmospheric. I can't decide what season it most represents, but, oddly enough, I'm torn between summer and winter. I have recently discovered "Promenade." :up: Love that tune! Pride was my first "favorite" U2 song, until I moved on to One and stayed there. MLK is the perfect way to end the album. I was so psyched when the band played it at the Super Bowl. Wire always gets me so pumped up. Definitely one of my faves from this album, and it doesn't get talked about enough.

More thoughts? :cute:

I love this album too. Just because of it's atmosphere. I can only listen to it at night or on a Discman for that reason. It just doesn't work on a stereo...maybe that's why it's never been as popular...but that might just be me.

I honestly think if, with the exception of "Pride", you were to play that album to someone who had never heard U2 before, they would not know who it was. It's an oddball, IMHO.

"A Sort of Homecoming" is awesome, one of my favorites, a great opener and I love the last few lines...

I love "Promenade" too, it's very sexy. Also "The Unforgettable Fire" itself, that song is just very...I don't know what.

My thoughts are not very profound on this, so I think I'll stop.

Elisabeth

Unfirgettable Fire is my favorite U2 album. After all these years, I still find it interesting and intoxicating. Homecoming introduces us to the new dreamscape sound after the more abrasive and direct sounds on War. Pride is a passionate, goosebump anthem. Wire blows through with ferocity while Adam beefs up the bottom. The title track provides an ominous, but elegant barometer of where this band is heading. Promenade is simply a lovely stroll with Bono's vocals conjuring up Van Morrison. All of side one rules!! Then after the moody 4th of July segue, comes the slow burning trance of Bad building up to its climactic ending with Bono's voice soaring, Larry's cymbals crashing, Adam's bass throbbing and Edge's guitar ringing; it's heavenly. Indian summer Sky is a well placed funky rocker. EPAA arrives and I float on the murky melody captured time after time by it's ambiguous lyric until finally I am drifting off to sleep with the hopes and dreams of MLK.

My second favorite album! It's so gorgeous and melodic. I adore The Unforgettable Fire!!!

Besides being a great, atmospheric, powerful collection of songs, besides being my first U2 album, UF contains my all time fave U2 song, the song of my life, the one that will be forever on top for me...that?s Bad. :heart:

:up:

AvsGirl41 said:
I honestly think if, with the exception of "Pride", you were to play that album to someone who had never heard U2 before, they would not know who it was. It's an oddball, IMHO.

Interesting...I never thought about it like that before. Makes sense, though.

UF seems to be stuck somewhere between the worlds of the first three albums and JT...Great transition. Know what I mean?

First: Love your sig Guggi's Girl and cool name. :yes:

Second: I never really liked UF until some months ago. I think the best songs are definitely Unforgettable Fire and Homecoming, though not the album version but just the live performances. Homecoming sounds rather dull on the album, but on WAIA it is amazing and overwhelming. :heart: That's been all I wanted to say., I can't really relate to the album in the way I can relate to Boy, War, JT or maybe AB, but it is an incredible masterpiece without any doubt. :yes:

Wertise!! Thanks for making it! :D

I have been stuck on the UF and JT for weeks now!!! I can't stop listening to them!

UF :cute:

I love the songs, Bono's voice, the lyrics.... a very awesome album!!!

Elvis Presley and America - I just love this song! I can listen to it a lot and got get tired of it. I just love everything about it.. Bono's vocal style here.... to Larry's drumming in this one!

BAD - Is like my second fav U2 song! I think Bad is one of my fav Bono vocal performances. And it's definitely my fav Larry drumming performances.... I love to hear Larry drum on this one. And of course Edge's guitar... :cute:

You give yourself to this the longest day You give yourself, you give it all away

I love Indian Summer Sky! It's such a great song!

And of course PRIDE and MLK....

WIRE- is another one I got stuck in my head right now!

Sort of a homecoming, good song.. but not too crazy about it!

I dunno this album ROCKS! :cute:

Its all been said before, I know, but this is the most glorious, breathtaking, etherial album ever. Probably not their best (it certainly has flaws)but easily my favourate. Bonos voice just takes my breath away.
Heartland seems to have the same dreamy feeing. Anyone agree?
Love this album beyond words and led to WAIA Bad!!!!

Pamela

PopTart said:
Heartland seems to have the same dreamy feeing. Anyone agree?
Love this album beyond words and led to WAIA Bad!!!!

Pamela

:yes: I :heart: Heartland! (that's my favorite song off R&H, btw!). Also very "atmospheric"!

Back
Top Bottom