The Unforgettable Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I think this is going to be the last of my ‘yipee I have a new album’ threads. I won’t be getting another album for a while, at least not until after the concert in March. I really don’t want to have discovered all of U2’s albums in little over a year. So this is the last one, I promise.

A Sort of Homecoming was really the opening track that I wanted to hear – I was expecting a track of this calibre, with Edge’s ringing guitar, polished rhythm and great vocals. I didn’t know how it was going to sound, but from all that I had heard about TUF, I was half-expecting a track just like this. Originally I though there was too much going on in the background but it just adds to the great sound. 9

Pride Already heard it. 9

Wire was definitely not a track I was expecting. This track actually knocked me back a bit at first – especially the ‘cold man’ vocals part. But I loved it after two or three listens. I give this song a 9, and I reckon Adam owns about 3 or 4 of those points. My new favourite bass line – especially when it kicks in at 0:17. Awesome. The vocals are great, and I love the final verse when it just comes to a climax. Top stuff. 9

The Unforgettable Fire Already heard it. 9

Promenade
Well I’d heard a lot about this song, and I got the album just after this was declared the best non-single or least objectionable non-single from TUF. And I have to say I am quite disappointed. There are three better non-singles – ASOH, Wire and ISS. This song is okay, but it’s too short for my liking. The vocals are great, especially in the ‘And I, like a firework, explode’ part but on the whole too short. It will be a grower, I think. 6

Fourth of July
Why this was included at the expense of much better b-sides I don’t know. What I do know is I have to turn my stereo up almost full to hear it, and it doesn’t go anywhere. I like Bass Trap a lot better than this. 4

BadAlready heard it. [/b]10[/b]

Indian Summer Sky
Like Wire, this was another track I wasn’t expecting to hear. I didn’t think there was going to be any sort of hard-edged songs, let alone two. But this track is a gem. The vocals are great, guitar and bass and drums sound awesome together all tied in. I think the only thing that lets it down a bit are the lyrics – they’re good, but to me they don’t quite mesh that well. Still, a great track. 8

Elvis Presley and America
I would love to hear a reason why Brian Eno believed this track was finished. It has some potential, but it is hard to listen to because without lyrics I can hardly even make out the words, some are missing, some are sung quietly, some are Bonoglese. The instrumental is a bit annoying as well. Far too long as well. 5

MLK
Nice enough, but I was disappointed with it in terms of a closer. I thought it was a great album, but ended kind of on an anti-climax. It’s still a nice track, the instrumental is soothing, and the vocals are good, it actually kind of sounds African in a way. 5

Overall
I think this album has some absolutely terrific tracks, six of them in fact, but it’s let down by some tracks that I think could be better. I reckon the album could be a whole lot better with The Three Sunrises and Love Comes Tumbling replacing Fourth of July. But don’t get me wrong – I used to say any album with Pride, Bad and TUF on it is very good. Add three tracks to that – ASOH, Wire and ISS. I think this album is going to be a grower as well. It flows nicely.

And by the way – this is not a first listen review. I’ve had it for over a month.

yeah hurry up and get Zooropa, you can only go so long without another centrepiece in a band's career!

COBL_04 said:
Elvis Presley and America
I would love to hear a reason why Brian Eno believed this track was finished. It has some potential, but it is hard to listen to because without lyrics I can hardly even make out the words, some are missing, some are sung quietly, some are Bonoglese. The instrumental is a bit annoying as well. Far too long as well. 5

Ding Ding Ding! I agree with all of that, particulary the first sentence. That song seems to get a lot of love around here, but I think it should have been left on the cutting room floor. It's not even b-side worthy. It should have been an outtake, to surface on bootleg copies of demos and outtakes.

i have been on pins and needles waiting for this review :drool:

i give this review a 6

Last edited:
Re: Re: The Unforgettable Fire

corianderstem said:

Ding Ding Ding! I agree with all of that, particulary the first sentence. That song seems to get a lot of love around here, but I think it should have been left on the cutting room floor. It's not even b-side worthy. It should have been an outtake, to surface on bootleg copies of demos and outtakes.

I would much prefer Love Comes Tumbling or The Three Sunrises than EPAA.

i have been on pins and needles waiting for this review

I thought you might have been. I expect most of the forum was. I just wanted to say I have it so I can talk about it.

Zooropa, I'm afraid is a while off. Rattle and Hum will be the next, then Zooropa.

they picked Elvis Presley and America because of the way it flowed with the album. And it had that same off the cuffness that Bad had, yet not the same calibre of brilliance. I love "Love Comes Tumbling" but it wouldn't have fit well on the album. Not unless they cut some more songs and written a couple more. I'm just talking about the cohesive factor. As for Zooropa...when will the world come around to this album? It's one of their most infectious outings as artists, and musically and lyrically it's top notch and endlessly experimental. I don't know about you, but I like seeing the different shades of Bono. That's the biggest reason why they went in the direction of "Achtung Baby" "Zooropa" Pop". They were even sick of themselves.

Chizip said:
EPAA is a great song you fools

its called atmosphere people

Some people don't understand the concepts of a stream of consciousness and using the voice as an instrument.

If you ask me, the end of EPAA is one of U2's more haunting yet somehow beautiful moments.

i enjoy reading reviews of albums from people who just bought them...so keep them coming.

EP & America is awesome - it doesn't need a thing:wink:

1) EPAA = :uhoh: umm... I'll pass.
2) Rattle And Hum should be the next album. People diss on it too much. It's got some really good songs. I wouldn't bother rating the live cuts of old songs though. just rate the new ones.
3)Save Zooropa for one of the lasts. Because you wanna save the best for last, but since you probably already have the Joshua Tree, it's too late for that so you might as well pick another :wink:

It actually took me almost 20 years to fully appreciate this album(yeah, maybe I´m a little slow)!!!!
I had dismissed EPAA, 4th of July, ISS. But when this album finally got into my blood, holy smoke batman!!!!!
I consider this a masterpiece now. It does exactly what I think it was intended to do, and that was to create an atmospheric experience to lose yourself in. Needless to say, I did and forever will.

Interesting review. My opinion on the album:

Pride, Bad, Promenade and TUF are all great.

MLK and A Sort of Homecoming are average

Wire, 4th of July, EPAA and Indian Summer Sky are all garbage--to me they sound like bad b-sides.

ImOuttaControl said:
Interesting review. My opinion on the album:

Pride, Bad, Promenade and TUF are all great.

MLK and A Sort of Homecoming are average

Wire, 4th of July, EPAA and Indian Summer Sky are all garbage--to me they sound like bad b-sides.

Wire, 4th Of July, EPAA, and Indian Summer Sky, are garbage?!

:rant: :rant:

Last edited:
ImOuttaControl said:

Yeah that's right. I call it like it is. If it smells like a turd and sounds like a turd, it's certainly a turd.

They're not turds.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

namkcuR said:

They're not turds.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

In all honesty I just really believe that those particular songs have aged horribly and sound sort of cheesy. Boy as an album has aged well, but portions of October, War and TUF all fail in the "timeless" category for me--at least some of the songs on those albums. Those are the only 3 U2 albums that I am too embarrassed to play when friends are around because there are so many badly aged, cringeworthy songs. The sound is just a little too stuck in the 80's for my taste.

ImOuttaControl said:

Wire and ISS? No garbage at all, I guarantee you.

Wire is generally appreciated in this board, on the other hand, many people seem to dislike ISS and I can't understand why... :huh:

Back
Top Bottom