The Ultimate U2 Song Showdown - FINAL RESUTLS!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjboog

Refugee
About a week ago I started a thread called the Ultimate U2 Song Showdown in which I asked people to rank their top 10 favorite U2 songs in order. I gave each #1 pick 10 points, each #2 pick 9 points and so on until each song had a point total. Here are the top 20 songs according to the responses with their point totals:

1. Bad - 228
2. Where the Streets Have No Name - 207
3. The Fly - 138
4. With or Without You - 96
5. Stay - 94
6. One - 91
7. Until the End of the World - 75
8. Running to Standstill - 66
9. Beautiful Day - 51
10. Acrobat - 50

11. City of Blinding Lights - 48
11. The Unforgettable Fire - 48
12. Walk On - 47
13. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - 44
14. Gone - 43
15. Please - 41
16. New Year's Day - 38
17. Pride - 34
18. A Sort of Homecomming -32
18. Lemon - 32
18. Sunday Bloody Sunday - 32
19. Zoo Station - 31
20. Mofo - 30
20. One Tree Hill - 30
20. Vertigo - 30

A couple things I noticed -
I didn't expect Stay, Running to Standstill, Until the End of the World, or Acrobat to be in the top 10
I expected Mysterious Ways to make the top 20 but it only got 6 points :huh:
I expected Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own to make the top 20 but it only got 7 points :huh:

There were over 100 songs that recieved points. If a song wasn't in the top 20 and you want to know it's point total, ask because I have it all written down.

Wow, Bad is #1? I would not have guessed that! I'm glad Stay is at a very respectable #5. :love:

Thanks for doing this. :up:

So was I the only one to vote for Wild Irish Rose, Treasure, and Spanish Eyes?

I didn't expect Beautiful Day to be in the top 20 let alone the top 10. Certainly didn't expect Bad to win.

I didn't vote or anything but looking at the results, I'd think that One Tree Hill should have been a bit higher up in the ranks.
Buuut everyone has different opinions.

The top 10 are pretty cool though. Hooray for Acrobat :up:

That's a huge upset!:laugh: I honestly thought Streets would be number one. definatey didn't think Bad would be in the top five. I'm not suprised with the majority of the top ten though. In Portland at the atu2.com birthday bash the revealed the results of a poll they did and Acrobat won. This says alot about Achtung Baby. 4 songs in the tp 10. That's awesome.

cjboog I'm curious to know where Love is Blindness , Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Ultra Violet ranked, if at all.

Last edited:
I can't tell you the rank, I don't have time to rank all 106 of them, but I can tell you the point total and you can compare it to the list I made of the top 20

Love is Blindness - 18 points, votes from 3/43 people
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 17 points, from 4/43 people
Ultraviolet - 12 points, votes from 3/43 people

I just also added how many people out of the 43 put those songs on their list

Last edited:
cjboog said:
I can't tell you the rank, I don't have time to rank all 106 of them, but I can tell you the point total and you can compare it to the list I made of the top 20

Love is Blindness - 18 points, votes from 3/43 people
Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - 17 points, from 4/43 people
Ultraviolet - 12 points, votes from 3/43 people

I just also added how many people out of the 43 put those songs on their list

Cool. I didn't vote cause the only one I know for sure is Streets at number one. After that I have way too hard a time ranking them.

cjboog said:

14. Gone - 43
18. Lemon - 32

18. Sunday Bloody Sunday - 32
1) First off... wait wut? A U2 classic, that is like, one of their 3 definitive songs is below/next to those two? Yea I'll admit they're awesome songs but... wow. This list is full of shockers.

People really think The Fly is that good? I never would have imagined it that high.

I can see Bad being #1 because of the amazing live cuts. Album version is still stinky though in my humble opinion :wink: so Streets was robbed :madspit:

Acrobat... are you serious? This isn't even in the top five songs of AB let alone the top 10 U2 songs of all time :huh: Well different strokes for different folks.

I'm done griping heheeeee! :D

Re: Re: The Ultimate U2 Song Showdown - FINAL RESUTLS!!

catlhere said:

1) First off... wait wut? A U2 classic, that is like, one of their 3 definitive songs is below/next to those two? Yea I'll admit they're awesome songs but... wow. This list is full of shockers.

It may be a classic but for me I doubt I'd even rank it I my personal top 20. Of course if you asked the general public it'd probably be right up ther in the top three cause that's what they hear on the radio. I think that'sa big reason why it's so far down on this best of fan list. Fans are a bit tired of it as it's been beaten to death.

jonnytakeawalk said:
I must say it's a traversty that All I want is you is not in the top 20 :tsk:

How many points did it get by the way?

All I Want is You - 28 points, votes by 6/43 people. It was just outside the top 20

Re: Re: The Ultimate U2 Song Showdown - FINAL RESUTLS!!

catlhere said:

People really think The Fly is that good? I never would have imagined it that high.

I can see Bad being #1 because of the amazing live cuts. Album version is still stinky though in my humble opinion :wink: so Streets was robbed :madspit:

Acrobat... are you serious? This isn't even in the top five songs of AB let alone the top 10 U2 songs of all time :huh: Well different strokes for different folks.

I'm done griping heheeeee! :D

I didn't expect a lot of this, some of these songs seemed to come out of nowhere.

About Acrobat, I agree that it's not one of the top 5 on AB, like I said Mysterious ways only got 6 points from 3 out of 43 people! Aparently a lot of people like it though, Acrobat made the list of 8 of 43 people.

I'm also shocked that nothing off of October or Boy reached the top 20. Well not too shocked about October, the only song that would have a chance is Gloria. However, I would have totally bet on seeing I Will Follow higher up. Or Even something like The Electric Co. which seems to be a fan favorite around here.

TJT with 5 songs in the top 20, nice to see my favorite album getting some luvvvv :love:
AB also with 5
nice to see HTDAAB get at least 2 shots in. :applaud:

catlhere said:
I'm also shocked that nothing off of October or Boy reached the top 20. Well not too shocked about October, the only song that would have a chance is Gloria. However, I would have totally bet on seeing I Will Follow higher up. Or Even something like The Electric Co. which seems to be a fan favorite around here.

Food for thought:

The Electric Co. - 21 points, votes from 5/43 people
I Will Follow - 19 points, votes from 3/43 people
Gloria - 6 points, vote from 1 person

About HTDAAB, OOTS had 15, Fast Cars had 13 points, Miracle Drug had 11 points, Sometimes had 7, Yahweh had 4, LAPOE had 4, AMAAW had 1. Overall not bad for Bomb, but I would have expected Crumbs to be in there somewhere, I forgot it on my list but it definately deserved some votes.

ywah I don't vote for songs unless they are on the albums because there is no chance of it getting anywhere on the list

Well done people!!!
"Bad" is U2's best song...especially live in concert.
Although some would argue "Streets" is better live I would have to say that although "Streets" is a great live song "Bad" is much more intense emotionally and spiritually and Bono and co. can take "Bad" to far greater heights as a song i.e. 14 minute versions/incorporating other songs within "Bad" etc. etc.

even Bono said during his rollingstone interview that Stay was probably the best U2 song ever written, but it didn't get the proper recording it deserved. i'm glad to see it on the list!
Streets will always be my favorite, tho ;]

Wow this thread is back? lol

Streets :love: was still robbed

Bad is great, but I'd rather leave on a high than a low :D
we lixes it alot!

Back
Top Bottom