The ultimate U2 live song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
If someone outside the fandom asked you "why is U2 a good live band", what song would you suggest they see/hear ?

My choice would be Until the end of the world. It never fails, all in the band shine on it, it has a good lighting show and the bullfight doesn't hurt either.

Bad. To repeat what I just wrote in another thread: forget Streets, because Bad is the definitive live U2 song. There are better live performances of One Tree Hill, but given its infrequent performances and Bad's enduring live consistency, I consider Bad to be definitive.

Axver said:
Bad. To repeat what I just wrote in another thread: forget Streets, because Bad is the definitive live U2 song. There are better live performances of One Tree Hill, but given its infrequent performances and Bad's enduring live consistency, I consider Bad to be definitive.

Bad also is probably the most definitive U2 song ever. It's really the epitome of the band: each band member shines through on the song. Adam's playing around with a few simple chords and almost improvising considering the formation of the song. Larry's drumming in the last half is some of his best. Edge is playing simple notes but with his signature sound. Bono's vocals are fantastic. And it also has a lot of snippets.

Pretty much everything great about U2 is in this song.

Where. The. Streets. Have. No. Name. Period. :wink:

Seriously, it's a tough call. While I'd go Streets, I think Bad, Sunday Bloody Sunday, and The Fly belong in the discussion, no question.

For me it's One, Streets, Pride and Bad. Pretty much used in their concerts anyway. But for me, those are what 'make' the concert for me.

Wow, that's a difficult one. I'd say Until the end of the world, it's always amazing. One, Streets, Elevation of course.

1. Bad (85-89)
2. Sunday bloody Sunday (87-89)
3. Electric Co (any time)
4. The Fly (any time)
5. Mysterious Ways (mostly 92-93)
6. Until the end of the World (any time)
7. Streets (any time)
8. Mofo
9. Bullet the blue sky (92-93 + 01)
10. 11 o'clock tick tock (anything in the 80's)

Thats a tough question, but i'd say Until the end of the world. the Please performance of the popmart dvd is also worth mentioning.

The zoo tv opening with zoo station must blow away a lot of people. Sunday bloody sunday rattle and hum style.
oh.. and bullet the blue sky ofcourse!
Actually they have played a lot of great live songs troughout the years.

Axver said:

That was the inspiration for this thread :yes:

I think Streets is overrated - it is good live but I think they have better songs. I would say Bad but I think the performances, Vertigo included, post 92 aren't in the same league anymore. (also see WOWY) Also, I think Bad owes a lot to the finishing solo live.

I would also nominate, for the same reasons, MW. Nice visuals, everyone shines on it and it still works on every tour.

Where The Streets Have No Name, period. Personally I don't see what the big deal about Bad is. Good song, but perhaps blown out of proportion.

There's so many choices, but I'd suggest Dirty Day/Bullet/RTSS/WTSHNN segue from Zoo TV DVD. It probably shows all aspects of why U2 are so great live.

The Fly
Streets
and the one i have yet to actually see live, my favorite song- until the end of the world.

I think the definitive u2 live song would be........Until The End OF The World. It has all the ingredients of what makes u2 the band they are

The only reason I don't say UTEOTW (which actually is my favorite live U2 song) is because the vocals aren't great. I think the ultimate live U2 song should have better vocals (i.e.: Bad).

What makes Streets so magical live is what it does to the crowd, much more so than the performance of it. The version of UTEOW I saw on Vertigo was mind-blowing--I think it was the single best song from the whole tour for me.

I have to agree with Bad, though I've never seen it performed. There are just so many brilliant live performances of it, and unlike so many of the band's classics, it's remained deeply emotional and poignant without being hokey or expected. Maybe it's because it doesn't get played every night? It's been my favorite song for half my life. I do really hope I finally get to see them play it on the next tour.

I love Streets live and Until the End of the World is fantastic live....oh, and I think New Year's Day is amazing live, too....but for me, it's Bad. No other song of theirs impacts me quite as much. It's a very special song to hear in concert.

Streets is always amazing, and it is the song that I've found most non-U2 fans really take notice of when it's performed live. The first time my mum (who, incredulously, wasn't familiar with any of U2's music) saw Streets performed live (on DVD), she said she got goosebumps...

However, that being said, I have to go with BAD. Like others have said here, no other song of theirs affects me so deeply. And, most non-U2 fans have never heard it before. Great way to introduce them to the band. ;)

I will keep going to U2 shows to be able to hear Bad.

It's their ultimate live track.

BonoIsMyMuse said:
What makes Streets so magical live is what it does to the crowd, much more so than the performance of it. The version of UTEOW I saw on Vertigo was mind-blowing--I think it was the single best song from the whole tour for me.

I have to agree with Bad, though I've never seen it performed. There are just so many brilliant live performances of it, and unlike so many of the band's classics, it's remained deeply emotional and poignant without being hokey or expected. Maybe it's because it doesn't get played every night? It's been my favorite song for half my life. I do really hope I finally get to see them play it on the next tour.

I totally agree with you, although I have seen Bad live and it is amazing

Bad and UTEOTW are definitely high contenders, although I'm surprised nobody has mentioned New Years Day yet - for me, that's one of the U2 live songs.

Although having only heard Bad and UTEOTW live, I'd say that Bad wins by a ridiculous amount.

Yep, absolutely! NYD from Slane floors me everytime - especially after the bridge into the chorus

U2girl said:
That was the inspiration for this thread :yes:

The timing was enough to make me suspect as much. :wink:

I think Streets is overrated - it is good live but I think they have better songs. I would say Bad but I think the performances, Vertigo included, post 92 aren't in the same league anymore. (also see WOWY) Also, I think Bad owes a lot to the finishing solo live.

I think Bad is one of the few classics to not lose something post-1992. It hasn't entered a seemingly irreversible downward spiral of craptastic doom like WOWY, and it hasn't turned into an overly self-conscious "God walks into the room" spectacle like Streets has in the last decade. I think whatever claim Streets had to being definitive were destroyed by the Vertigo Tour. It was special, but Bono needs to learn that the intro is the most important part, so it's the one part where he should shut up and not preach. Snippets like Resolution And Independence or Heartland (from Lovetown) are more than welcome, and the Elevation Tour's psalm is alright if you're that way inclined, but what he did on Vertigo was distracting and took away from the music rather than adding to it.

But back to Bad ... I think that even despite Bono's declining vocal power, it has remained absolutely definitive since 1992. I suppose mainly because it rides on Edge being able to produce the maximum magic with the minimum of notes, and he never fails to do that and send the song into the stratosphere. It's also one of those rare songs where Bono can get away with a somewhat weakened vocal performance if he puts all of his emotion into it. That doesn't work at all for WOWY, but there's something about straining to sing the most powerful parts of Bad that (while it is not be preferable to the earlier soaring versions) suits the desperation of the song.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom