the u2 trilogy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjyspankey

Babyface
for my first post here I thought I would delve into the so called u2 "trilogy" of albums. Frankly, I never understood where this idea came from in the first place. Boy and War sound alike but quite different from October. Same goes for UF and JT which sound quite different from the bluesy RH. Achtung Baby sounds completly different from the experimental Zooropa, while Pop in many aspects sounds more like ATYCLB. I think the "trilogy" idea has come mainly from the time periods in which the albums were released.

jjyspankey said:
Same goes for UF and JT which sound quite different from the bluesy RH.
What about songs like Heartland, God Part II, and All I Want Is You? I think they would have fit will on The Joshua Tree. Just like Trip Through Your Wires, Red Hill Mining Town, or One Tree Hill could have fit on Rattle & Hum. If any of those three don't fit, I think it's The Unforgettable Fire.

I don't think the albums got the "trilogy" tag because of the time periods in which they were released. I also don't think they have to sound a like to be trilogy albums either. I think the albums got the trilogy tag due to the themes of the albums.

You look at Boy October and War and you see Boys (so to speak) becoming men and these albums are a documented journey through adolescence (Boy), religious and life questioning(October) to realizing the harshness in the world (War).

Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle and hum are to me and to quote Adam, a musical journey that was documented... A musical journey through America.

The Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop trilogy I think is debatable. It could be the journey of the Fly. It could be a lot of things.

david said:
I don't think the albums got the "trilogy" tag because of the time periods in which they were released. I also don't think they have to sound a like to be trilogy albums either. I think the albums got the trilogy tag due to the themes of the albums.

You look at Boy October and War and you see Boys (so to speak) becoming men and these albums are a documented journey through adolescence (Boy), religious and life questioning(October) to realizing the harshness in the world (War).

Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Rattle and hum are to me and to quote Adam, a musical journey that was documented... A musical journey through America.

The Achtung Baby, Zooropa, and Pop trilogy I think is debatable. It could be the journey of the Fly. It could be a lot of things.

I think the the trilogy concept stands. You've done a good job of delineating it. I would add that AB, Zooropa, and Pop all have in common the darker side of U2, the embrace of irony, the embracing (and mocking of pop, disposable, consumerist culture), a period of serious spiritual doubt and questioning.

I would say, I don't think it was intentional. I think it just kinda happened that way.

Back
Top Bottom