The U2 Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lancemc

Blue Crack Addict
Well, the thought of it has been looming in my mind for months now. I have still, in my relatively short life, to see U2 live yet. I've still only been to two real concerts in my life (say REM in October, and The Pixies a week ago) but the waiting is just gutting me. I know it's going to be outstanding, but there's just not way I'm going to be prepared for it. I've been listening to U2 for 4 years no (missed them on the Elevation tour) and the whole process of discovering their music has been an amazing journey. Since then, I now consider myself a U2 veteran almost, having permanently fixed all their albums and even most singles and b-sides into my soul. Listening to U2 is a very special thing in my life, as well as in most of yours, and seeing them live is going to really confirm what they mean to me.
Anyway, I just had to put this down in writing so I don't go totally nuts.

(I didn't put this in the "live" forum, because I this is really more about the whole U2 experience than just the live performance)

Th

dude, your story and mine are pretty much identical, man! I first heard The Joshua Tree back in 2001 and I was hooked. I was sort of a casual fan (i was 13) back then, but once I saw Elevation Boston on TV (i fell alseep and woke up to THE FLY) i was totally 100% hardcore. I started collecting bootlegs, and man, I can't wait till spring.

I have an almost similar U2 story, but did see them 4 times on the elevation tour. Anyways, no matter how you feel about their albums, their image, their causes, seeing U2 live completely blows everything else out of the water. The music makes the connection, from the back of the stands to the tip of the stage. Two relatives of mine went to 2 seperate elevation shows and told me later that it was easily in their top 3 concerts they have ever seen, if not the best. And these people have seen a lot of good shit through the years and weren't particularly big U2 fans.

Last edited:
You'll have a GREAT time, "Lance!!!"

I will readily admit that I'm not as down with U2's current incarnation as I was with their incarnations of the past...I'll readily admit that I think the Elevation Tour was a bit bland and hokey...I'll readily admit that I am tired of hearing many of the same songs over and over and over again in concert...

But, even with all of those things being true for me, I will also admit this: even on that last tour, which I didn't love, I WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THIS BAND!!!!!!!!!!

I've only seen a few shows that managed to eclipse what U2 did with Elevation (Radiohead being the big one), so I think that that says a lot. Going to the shows, getting a chance to revel in the band's glory with your fellow fans, and just getting to hear the music (even if it does get a little slow hearing the same songs every night for like four nights in a row :wink:) is fuckin' fantastic. If you want to enjoy it...YOU WILL. I don't know how you couldn't...cuz I'm sure you're not as cynical and over-critical as I am... :wink:

Lance & disco you're going to have an incredible time! oh, yeah! :hyper:

U2 are one of my favs on record & live, and since I had/have several serious favs who were all great on record and usually unbelievebly fantastic live, before u2 came on to our American shore [found out about u2 in 1980]; The Who {Orignal & without Moon}, Springsteen, Patti Smith Group & Television-- U2 had some VERY serious 'competition'.. But they did it!

You'll both definately have to write up here on INF thread after your first u2 show. I'll look foward to your [most probable] WOW'S!!!

If you shout... said:
You'll have a GREAT time, "Lance!!!"

I will readily admit that I'm not as down with U2's current incarnation as I was with their incarnations of the past...I'll readily admit that I think the Elevation Tour was a bit bland and hokey...I'll readily admit that I am tired of hearing many of the same songs over and over and over again in concert...

But, even with all of those things being true for me, I will also admit this: even on that last tour, which I didn't love, I WAS BLOWN AWAY BY THIS BAND!!!!!!!!!!

I've only seen a few shows that managed to eclipse what U2 did with Elevation (Radiohead being the big one), so I think that that says a lot. Going to the shows, getting a chance to revel in the band's glory with your fellow fans, and just getting to hear the music (even if it does get a little slow hearing the same songs every night for like four nights in a row :wink:) is fuckin' fantastic. If you want to enjoy it...YOU WILL. I don't know how you couldn't...cuz I'm sure you're not as cynical and over-critical as I am... :wink:

did you see the Elevation Chicago show on May 16, 2001? Because that's probably my most favouristist U2 setlist ever!

Back
Top Bottom