The true classic of ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful Day is so damn cliche and filler at best. Kite is ruined by bad orchestration and some crap lyrics. Really overrated in my opinion.

I could substitute "With or Without You" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" for the two songs you mentioned and say the same thing. "With..." is very cliche (the title alone is a cliche) and while there is no official chorus to the song, it's full of repetitive, redundant and obvious comments with lots of wailing. "Bullet" comes across as a bit sophomoric - a painfully obvious attempt to write poetically about a "serious" topic. Musically, the song lacks life on the album - again, it tries to be powerful and significant, but it's that attempt that hurts it as it's so obvious.

Yet, while I write those statements, 20+ years later, both of those songs are easily considered classics. Bono's lyrics on "With" are simple, and it's that simple elegance that makes the song shine. The haunting music combined with Bono's vocal passion makes the song soar. It's a theme that won't be forgotten. "Bullet" gained new life, new meaning and new emphasis in concert, where U2 really made this song come alive. Suddenly the lyrics didn't seem so forced - they flowed. And over time, U2 allowed the song to take on different meanings, a freedom that strong lyric writing allows.

"Beautiful Day", like "With" may be the commercial hit, but it doesn't take away from its meaning or significance. Calling it a filler only tells me that YOU don't like the song, which is fine, but something you have to recognize. BD is not one of my favorite U2 songs either, but I recognize the power, meaning, and importance of the song. Likewise, I don't notice the "crap lyrics" in "Kite", so again, this is your personal feelings about the song, not a factual statement about lyric writing. I can think of many examples where Bono's lyrics were more cliche - from the afore-mentioned "With" to songs like "Even Better Than..." and "All I Want...". Bono's lyrics are usually based on a central ideal or theme - the notion of what really constitutes a "beautiful day" or what does it mean to say "all I want is you". Sometimes he follows through on ideas - the imagery of a kite blowing in the wind and how that has analogies to events in one's life. Therefore, claiming weak lyrics seems a stretch to me - in fact, I view it as a lazy argument from a person who simply isn't a fan of the song. Sometimes a song can be brilliant, but it just doesn't catch our fancy. This is acceptable, but it doesn't mean the song is a "filler" or "crap".

Going back to the original topic, I do NOT think "In a Little While" will be remembered as a classic. However, I do think it will be viewed upon as an album gem (which is different from a "classic") that does capture much of what U2 was about at that moment in their lives.

I could substitute "With or Without You" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" for the two songs you mentioned and say the same thing. "With..." is very cliche (the title alone is a cliche) and while there is no official chorus to the song, it's full of repetitive, redundant and obvious comments with lots of wailing. "Bullet" comes across as a bit sophomoric - a painfully obvious attempt to write poetically about a "serious" topic. Musically, the song lacks life on the album - again, it tries to be powerful and significant, but it's that attempt that hurts it as it's so obvious.

Yet, while I write those statements, 20+ years later, both of those songs are easily considered classics. Bono's lyrics on "With" are simple, and it's that simple elegance that makes the song shine. The haunting music combined with Bono's vocal passion makes the song soar. It's a theme that won't be forgotten. "Bullet" gained new life, new meaning and new emphasis in concert, where U2 really made this song come alive. Suddenly the lyrics didn't seem so forced - they flowed. And over time, U2 allowed the song to take on different meanings, a freedom that strong lyric writing allows.

"Beautiful Day", like "With" may be the commercial hit, but it doesn't take away from its meaning or significance. Calling it a filler only tells me that YOU don't like the song, which is fine, but something you have to recognize. BD is not one of my favorite U2 songs either, but I recognize the power, meaning, and importance of the song. Likewise, I don't notice the "crap lyrics" in "Kite", so again, this is your personal feelings about the song, not a factual statement about lyric writing. I can think of many examples where Bono's lyrics were more cliche - from the afore-mentioned "With" to songs like "Even Better Than..." and "All I Want...". Bono's lyrics are usually based on a central ideal or theme - the notion of what really constitutes a "beautiful day" or what does it mean to say "all I want is you". Sometimes he follows through on ideas - the imagery of a kite blowing in the wind and how that has analogies to events in one's life. Therefore, claiming weak lyrics seems a stretch to me - in fact, I view it as a lazy argument from a person who simply isn't a fan of the song. Sometimes a song can be brilliant, but it just doesn't catch our fancy. This is acceptable, but it doesn't mean the song is a "filler" or "crap".

Going back to the original topic, I do NOT think "In a Little While" will be remembered as a classic. However, I do think it will be viewed upon as an album gem (which is different from a "classic") that does capture much of what U2 was about at that moment in their lives.

I agree w the totality of Dr Who's assesments here, except I would think it a stretch to call IALW a gem.

It's an interesting song at best.

It's my 2nd least fav song on ATYCLB second only to Wild Honey which I promise you was probably referred to by the band at rehersals as that "filler song we need to finish"..

<>

Last edited:
Okay I have to defend Beautiful Day even though I'm known around these parts for dissing their 00s output! :wink: Beautiful Day is just the perfect U2 song! Sure, it's generic in structure and uses the classic Edge guitar delay and all that but it is just so uplifting! I remember hearing it for the first time in Fall of 2000 and experiencing a rush of joy through every inch of my body. Goosebumps!

Okay I have to defend Beautiful Day even though I'm known around these parts for dissing their 00s output! :wink: Beautiful Day is just the perfect U2 song! Sure, it's generic in structure and uses the classic Edge guitar delay and all that but it is just so uplifting! I remember hearing it for the first time in Fall of 2000 and experiencing a rush of joy through every inch of my body. Goosebumps!

So, you're saying that Beautiful Day provides you with euphoric aural beauty, the recipe for romantic epiphanies of a celestial nature?

Yeah, that is exactly what I'm saying, ElMel.. eggsactly!

in an interstellar burst, they came back to save the universe!

I love the album
I love In a little while
I love it how people keep moaning about lines like "the last of the rock stars"
while there are as many obvious clonkers in their 80s and 90s output which somehow get overlooked

I love it how people keep moaning about lines like "the last of the rock stars"
while there are as many obvious clonkers in their 80s and 90s output which somehow get overlooked

It's always the recent past that gets torn apart I guess for any band. :slant:

Wrong decades to moan about.

They shouldn't be. Some of the older fans who remember some of the clunkers don't care about them any more or have grown so used to the songs that they no longer seem "bad". I'm sure the same will eventually happen to songs on ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Right before HTDAAB was relelased, I recall the shift to bashing ATYCLB and praising "Pop". Now, ATYCLB is receiving tons of praise, comparatively, whle HTDAAB is being bashed. If Interference existed in '87 or '92, I'm sure JT and AB would have been based too. It's human nature.

I don't know...maybe there'd be debates on AB that would be as splitting as the Pop-ATYCLB-Bomb debates are (I still think majority would approve). JT would pretty much be drooled over IMO.

Well according to that trend this forum will ease up on Bomb when the new album comes. :hyper:

i think there are a lot of ill informed kids on these boards that think it appropiate to regard themselves as experts.

<>
:wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom