The tragic demise of "Staring at the Sun"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly don't like how either SATS or Discotheque were remixed for the Best Of album. However, I think the remix of Gone blows away the original. The way the song kicks into gear at the beginning is incredible. If they had done the song like that originally, that would have been an amazing lead single.

I agree with phanan, particularly in not caring for the remixes of SATS or Discotheque. Interestingly, given more time to "finish" these songs, they weren't really improved upon, IMO.

What's even more interesting is that when they first started to rework songs from Pop, each new version that came out was, IMO, superior. I think the single versions of Last Night On Earth, IGWSHA, and Please are outstanding.

Kind of perplexing that the newer versions of SATS and Discotheque didn't turn out as well.

Miggy D said:
The remixed version of Gone is far inferior to the original version. Blah. :madspit:

I love the remixed version of Gone. I love how it blasts off, and I like how the piano is more up front in this mix. I also think Bono's vocals are much stronger, and that much more intense.

I think Discothèque was the perfect choice as the first single. It's a great song. It has a great groove, a dancing riff and it does show some of the POP record in its sounds (which is too dense to be fully represented in one song).

Gone is one of U2's best rock songs and I love the best of version but it would not be a good single at all because it's too much of a downer. Not a good idea for a single. Sonically Mofo would be the perfect choice for a first single as it represents the record better but just like Gone, the lyrics and the melodies are not commercial enough.

By the way I'm saying that a band has to make their most commercial song as the first single not that they have to write commercial lyrics or melodies just to make it a single.

I'm still trying to figure out though how come Last Night On Earth didn't do better on the charts. Maybe the verses are too slow, I don't know. It's such a great song! :scratch:

The lyrics of Staring at the Sun are absolutely horrific, but I love the whole sound and melody of the song. It reminds me of the Beatles, for some reason.

Anyway, was Bono on crack when he wrote the lyrics for this song.

Waves that leave me out of reach, breaking on your back like a beach?

WTF?

I like the lyrics, they are quite strange and memorable-sounding.

I also think the Gone re-mix is slightly better than the album cut.

The remix version of SATS is poor, but not as bad as the Discotheque one, which is just horrendous.

Miggy D said:
The remixed version of Gone is far inferior to the original version. Blah. :madspit:

I agree with you on this one.

I guess I hate all the remixes they did for the pop album, which means this horseshit about not having enough time to finish it is nonsense. (at least imo).

I do like the strings and ending they added to please for the single version however. except the groove is nowhere even near as good as the original....which is frustrating.

TheBrazilianFly said:

I'm still trying to figure out though how come Last Night On Earth didn't do better on the charts. Maybe the verses are too slow, I don't know. It's such a great song! :scratch:

I think this is because so many people (general public, casual fans, etc.) were turned off by Discoteque (the song and the campy video) that they never gave the rest of the album a chance. I think Discoteque is the worst lead single U2 has ever chosen for any album they have ever put out. Flame me, but history stands behind me.

-Miggy D

JOFO said:
I agree about the remixed version; absolutely horrible....what were they thinking?

but I think this tune has had its day; it'll not see the live stage anymore, acoustic or otherwise.

I agree, actually I would be quite surprised if they played it again live. As much as I love the song, there are others I'd like to hear live instead.

Miggy D said:
I think this is because so many people (general public, casual fans, etc.) were turned off by Discoteque (the song and the campy video) that they never gave the rest of the album a chance. I think Discoteque is the worst lead single U2 has ever chosen for any album they have ever put out. Flame me, but history stands behind me.

-Miggy D

But you don't know that for sure. History stands behind you and shows that the singles didn't do all that great but not necessarily because of Discothèque, which reached number one on the Modern Rock Tracks and number 10 overall on The Bilboard Hot 100.

Last edited:
SATS is just another boring song...nothing special. P(l)OP was unfinished and the stronger songs there are definetely the so called weaker songs e.g. MOFO, GONE, MIAMI, TPM.
i don't like the boring sunstaring at all. basta!

It would be nice to hear the full-band version live. Im sure they could TRY and pull it off. There must be more complicated songs than that that they've managed to perform ok.
The acoustic is always nice to hear tho.

I really don't understand what the big deal playing that song live is; it's just another medium slow song in 4/4 time.

JOFO said:
I really don't understand what the big deal playing that song live is; it's just another medium slow song in 4/4 time.

I think it has alot to do with the drumming. The whole rhythm of the song is kind of wavy. But with a little work U2 could have worked it out.

The live full band version was really atmospheric. Edge's guitar sounded like nothing before. I have a bootleg of the Popmart DC show and it sounded great live. Plus, the screen effects (sun blazing) were very cool. SATS is such a unique song for U2.

Catman said:
I personally don't think there's much difference between the POP and "Best Of..." version....atleast not so much so that you could call it "atrocious," "bastardized," and "a nightmare on wheels" :scratch:

:yes: Perfect post. There's hardly any difference, other than a slightly elongated ending, between the two songs. To call the "remix" (and even that's stretching the term) atrocious is ludicrous. Furthermore, I recall at the time, many people adored the remixed version of SATS. One even said that if this version of SATS was released, it would've been a monster hit. O.K., that's the other extreme, but it's fun seeing people change their minds like this. ;)

As for singles... I think "Discotheque" is a good song. However, I think it was too much of "U2 have gone too far" attitude that dominated. I think that if SATS were released first, it would've helped "Pop" a lot. Then, push out "Discotheque" for the "fun" side of the album.

Catman said:
I personally don't think there's much difference between the POP and "Best Of..." version....atleast not so much so that you could call it "atrocious," "bastardized," and "a nightmare on wheels" :scratch:

lazarus said:

I don't know if you can really feel embarrassed for people that are clearly taking the piss anyway. They knew they were doing high camp, even if Larry looked a little uncomfortable during the dance--he eventually smirks on camera. The scene where Edge dances while Bono nods in approval is one of the funniest things I've ever seen, as is Edge with the breath spray.

I think this attitude and reaction to the song and video says more about people's inability to see different sides of their idols more than anything else, which is really sad.

laz

:yes: Totally agree. I absolutely love this video.

I think the STATS remix seemed a bit off, the sound was a bit muted, some interesting sounds were deleted, and they put in some stilted drum pattern that detracted from the ambience of the song in my opinion...I did like the bit where the extra vacking vocals were added for a crescendo though...thats the only thing I'd maybe add to the original from the remix.

Back
Top Bottom