The Three Best Songs on HTDAAB Are...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd dare to say that Peace on Earth is brilliant, but that people just don't get it

Bomb:
1. Sometimes you can't make it
2. A man and a woman
3. Crumbs on your table

sorry, that was me postingand not Lara
I know for a fact that her favourite is Original of the Species :wink:

Okay... three best ones...

Yahweh (simply perfect imo)
OOTS (a beautiful piece of music)
COBL (no explanation needed)

Following just after these 3: ABOY (great instrumental) and LAPOE (idem).

LyricalDrug said:
Well, we know for a fact that Crumbs is not one of the album's best, because the band didn't want to play it live.

We know for a fact that SYCMIOYO is. When Paul McGuinness, Bono, Edge, and Steve Lillywhite say it's the best song on the album, then it's probably one of the top 3. A Grammy for Song of the Year doesn't hurt, either.

We know for a fact that Vertigo is. Hell, they were playing it TWICE at some shows, it's that good.

The third one is COBL.

Actually Bono says OOTS is the best on the album.

LyricalDrug said:
Well, we know for a fact that Crumbs is not one of the album's best, because the band didn't want to play it live.

We know for a fact that SYCMIOYO is. When Paul McGuinness, Bono, Edge, and Steve Lillywhite say it's the best song on the album, then it's probably one of the top 3.

Funny... I remember Bono saying many times that he thought OOTS was the best song on the album. And Crumbs is great.

1. SYCMIOYO
2. Crumbs
3. OOTS (without strings would be better though)

I think this list would definitely change if it was What are the 3 top songs from HTDAAB played live?

Mine would be
1. COBL
2. OOTS
3. SYCMIOYO

Last edited:
City of Blinding lights
Vertigo
Love and Peace

Not much love for Vertigo I noticed.

LyricalDrug said:

We know for a fact that SYCMIOYO is. When Paul McGuinness, Bono, Edge, and Steve Lillywhite say it's the best song on the album, then it's probably one of the top 3. A Grammy for Song of the Year doesn't hurt, either.

We know for a fact that Vertigo is. Hell, they were playing it TWICE at some shows, it's that good.

The third one is COBL.

What arrogance! I also seem to think that "Crumbs" is the best song from "Bomb".
U2 have never played "Acrobat" live either and that was not a bad song, do you think?

actually bono said many times that original of the species is the best song on the album, not somtimes you can't make it on your own.

namkcuR said:

I would argue that Sometimes will stand the test of time more than COBL.

Really? I can see it, I guess.

Further explaining how I see that comparison, all obviously just MyOpinion:

Sometimes has a sentimentality that will not age well.
It's also has a deep personal meaning to Bono which, I don't think will last beyond the Vertigo Tour, it's probably enough that he's had to perform it 100 times (or whatever).

COBL, is a song that I think is commonly known on this forum to have gotten much better live, it's an upbeat song that may be pigeonholed to this era, but not unlike I Will Follow or New Years Day could have legs to stand on in future tours.

Basically, I think Sometimes is headed to the Davey Jones locker of the U2 sea after this tour, it wasn't a big hit, there isn't a deep demand for this song. COBL? Ok, it's not a big hit ether I just think it's a much better song, much better.

All that said, if i had to pick a 4th song that may be able to stand the test of time, it might be Sometimes.

Zootlesque said:
1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Native Son (The Vertigo Mix)
3. All Because Of You (alternate)

You will think I am lying but that is my exact sentiment. The alternate versions rock

"ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER?"

This and the alternate versions mentioned above in place of a couple of songs put on the album would have taken it to the next level for me.

dietcokeofevil said:
"ARE YOU GONNA WAIT FOREVER?"

This and the alternate versions mentioned above in place of a couple of songs put on the album would have taken it to the next level for me.
I think 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever' would have fit much better on ATYCLB', but 'Smile' would have probably fit on Bomb quite nicely. Actually, 'Smile' would have fit on either album. Probably my favourite latter day U2 song other than 'Kite'.

Michael Griffiths said:

I think 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever' would have fit much better on ATYCLB', but 'Smile' would have probably fit on Bomb quite nicely. Actually, 'Smile' would have fit on either album. Probably my favourite latter day U2 song other than 'Kite'.

I disagree. AYGWF would fit better in HTDAAB because it has more a rock'n'roll feeling (drums, guitar treatement...). Maybe that's why it was left out from ATYCLB.

U2DMfan said:

Basically, I think Sometimes is headed to the Davey Jones locker of the U2 sea after this tour, it wasn't a big hit, there isn't a deep demand for this song. COBL? Ok, it's not a big hit ether I just think it's a much better song, much better.

"Sometimes" wasn't a big hit? There wasn't much demand for it? Dude, it debuted at #1 on the UK Singles Chart. The song won Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal and Song of the Year at the 2006 Grammy Awards.

It's one of U2's all-time bests!

Aygo said:

I disagree. AYGWF would fit better in HTDAAB because it has more a rock'n'roll feeling (drums, guitar treatement...). Maybe that's why it was left out from ATYCLB.
For me, it's all about "vibe". I could care less about the mechanics of a rock song. The vibe of AYGWF has the same warmth as ATYCLB, and the same summer-time-pop sensibilty. You could play it with the top down, and would fit in nicely around 'In A Little While' and 'Wild Honey'...and even 'Summer Rain'.

I agree that Sometimes won't hold up over time. Once it's not new, it will get mixed with it's closest cousins - Stay, With or Without You, One, perhaps even Stuck - and it doesn't hold a candle to any of them. If in 5 years they're only going to play 2 or 3 out of those 5 (or 6, assuming there's another new one in that kinda category by then) I can't see Sometimes getting much of a run, if any. IMO, definitely the runt of the pack. Weakest lyrically & musically, and although yes could be classified as a hit in regards to sales in some countries and the Grammy win, I don't think it's made it's way into the public subconscious like the others either.

I think "Bomb" will be remembered as one of U2's best albums, years from now. The more I hear it, the better it gets.

I know that Grammy awards aren't the end-all, be-all, but sheesh, when an album wins EIGHT Grammy awards, that's got to count for something.

From Wikipedia:

This album was awarded eight Grammy Awards in 2005 and 2006, winning in all of the categories in which it was nominated. It was awarded the Album of the Year award in 2006. "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" from the album was awarded Song of the Year and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. "City of Blinding Lights" was awarded the award for Best Rock Song, and the album was also awarded Best Rock Album. In 2005, the single "Vertigo" from the album won in all three categories in which it was nominated: Best Rock Song, Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, and Best Short Form Music Video.

LyricalDrug said:
I think "Bomb" will be remembered as one of U2's best albums, years from now. The more I hear it, the better it gets.

I know that Grammy awards aren't the end-all, be-all, but sheesh, when an album wins EIGHT Grammy awards, that's got to count for something.

From Wikipedia:

This album was awarded eight Grammy Awards in 2005 and 2006, winning in all of the categories in which it was nominated. It was awarded the Album of the Year award in 2006. "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" from the album was awarded Song of the Year and Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal. "City of Blinding Lights" was awarded the award for Best Rock Song, and the album was also awarded Best Rock Album. In 2005, the single "Vertigo" from the album won in all three categories in which it was nominated: Best Rock Song, Best Rock Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal, and Best Short Form Music Video.
Now I'm just waiting for the predictable yet weak counterargument, which will go something along the lines of this: "The Grammys are a %$#in' joke....blah blah blah....and do you really believe that an album is good cause it does well at the grammys??? So I guess Bomb must be a better album than Achtung Baby if the grammys mean anything, blah blah blah....It's for has beens, etc, etc..."

For the record, I agree with you: If an album wins 8 grammy awards, it has to have some merit.

HTDAAB is FREAKING amazing. It always will be in my mind, and you can't take that away from me. :|

LemonMelon said:
HTDAAB is FREAKING amazing. It always will be in my mind, and you can't take that away from me. :|

LemonMelon speaks the truth...:wink:
It's a matter of personal taste, but I think COBL and Miracle Drug are the top two. I still get blown away at the balance of energy and low-keyness that COBL holds. I can't pick a third, but OOTS, Yahweh, and Vertigo come in very closely. I think all the songs except for One Step Closer and AMAAW are very close in greatness. <sigh> This is an amazingly beautiful album. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom