The thing that was the start of the slippery slope...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjhbonovox

Refugee
...was Edge re-discovering the coke riff for Beautiful Day. Cos since then thats all U2 seem to be using, check Miracle Drug, COBL, Crumbs, All Because and so on.:eyebrow:

Do we ever grow tired of the monotony from some of the posters here?

Last edited:
Ahh come on guys lets have a discussion about this. Don't just cry off without having a good argument. Put your views forward.

On the "A Year in Pop" video, The Edge says he couldn't create songs like he did on "the Boy album" again cause he "had forgotten how to play like that". I wish he had never re-discovered it...

I don't know how there can be a discussion since your mind is already made up on U2 regarding ATYCLB/HTDAAB. You didn't even post "your thoughts?" or anything that would indicate a discussion.

Do you think anything anyone will say can change your mind on the band's last two albums?
Do you think you can change anyone else's mind on those albums?
Or do you just enjoy watching the angry responses?
(goes for U2_Guy and ponkine too. what do you want from us?)

Yes, guitar players play similar riffs in their career. Every player has his own style, and that's why it happens. It is impossible to play music without eventually repeating notes, chords, riffs...

Last edited:
U2_Guy said:
On the "A Year in Pop" video, The Edge says he couldn't create songs like he did on "the Boy album" again cause he "had forgotten how to play like that". I wish he had never re-discovered it...

Oh man U2Guy, I may not agree with you on much, but that was just too perfect! I applaud you:applaud:

UnforgettableLemon said:
*bangs coconuts together to signal cavalry entrance*

LOL

So yeah, to participate in this thread..Why does Edge copy himself on this record? If only they could have made Pop2, only then I would be happy.

If you dont like the last 2 albums you shouldnt have liked any of the 1980s U2 material either. To say U2 should not sound like U2 is absolutely moronic and stupid. If U2 made another song that sounded simular to The Fly some people would come in here and say U2 are ripping themselves off....but I am sorry there is only so much you can do with a guitar that sounds different.

Yeah, Edge's guitar work sounds similar in some songs. It's not the first time. But there's not a whole lot to discuss really. We established that he has his own sound and that certain songs have similar guitar work.

Or maybe you were hoping for a 10 page thread where people write essays on the subject and include statistics, charts and graphs and cite sources.

Even certain 90s songs sound like old-school Edge to me; Ultraviolet, elements of Until the End of the World, and especially If God Will Send His Angels

The thing that really pisses me off is how you claim that U2 have gone down the "slippery slope" like it's a FACT. It's just your stinking opinion, and I'm sick of you acting like you are the only one who knows that deep dark truth about U2, while we are all crawl amongst the "blind worshipping" peasants. I don't care if you don't like the albums, but I wish you wouldn't present your opinions like they are the gospel.

After 10+ albums, there is going to be some recurring sounds...U2 aren't The Beatles, they aren't going to constantly come up with fresh sounds every time. Personally I think it is ok for the old sound to re-surface somewhat, since its so long since they used it..

Yahweh said:
If you dont like the last 2 albums you shouldnt have liked any of the 1980s U2 material either. To say U2 should not sound like U2 is absolutely moronic and stupid. If U2 made another song that sounded simular to The Fly some people would come in here and say U2 are ripping themselves off....but I am sorry there is only so much you can do with a guitar that sounds different.

Not true, I love the 80's albums, UF, JT and I think Rattley Bum was a good album as well. My main gripe is that, by using this similar riff in too many songs they are just repeating themselves. By the end of the 80's U2 were fed up with sounding this way, thats why they changed and tried to keep changing. It seems some of their fans would have loved them to have kept repeating the 80's sound thru the 90's as well. To me they seem to be running out of ideas. That is why your getting too many later tracks that sound like things they have done before. The excitement is missing from these last two albums.

And also Lancemc, IN MY OPINION. Didn't say it as a FACT. IN MY OPINION. Am I not allowed to issue an opinion? When I post its just my opinion that is all. Is it not allowed to criticise U2. I am just making observations that is all, don't let MY OPINION upset you too much.

If something works, I don't see anything wrong with using it more than once. I'm a visual artist, not a musician, but it works the same in both media: if it's effective, keep it. Should I stop painting stars, for example? No. Should I put stars in every one of my pictures? Of course not. There's a happy medium.

OK, I have a solution to the problem...everyone must begin every sentence they write on this entire board with the words "In my opinion..." And then everyone would know that it was just an opinion and no one was presenting anything at all as fact.

So...doing it the new way, this post should read:

In my opinion, OK, I have a solution to the problem...everyone must begin every sentence they write on this entire board with the words "In my opinion..." In my opinion, and then everyone would know that it was just an opinion and on one was presenting anything at all as fact.

In my opinion, so, doing it the new way, this post should read:

:D

Sleep Over Jack said:
After 10+ albums, there is going to be some recurring sounds...U2 aren't The Beatles, they aren't going to constantly come up with fresh sounds every time. Personally I think it is ok for the old sound to re-surface somewhat, since its so long since they used it..

Of course, U2 has also been going for about three times as long as the Beatles were together

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom