"The Sweetest Thing"...Wedding Reception Material?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bonochick

Halloweenhead
Staff member
I was reading a bridal magazine, and they listed some suggested songs for wedding receptions. For the first dance, one of the songs listed is "All I Want Is You", which we are planning on doing. However...for the cake cutting ceremony...they suggest "Sweetest Thing". Now, yeah..."sweet"..."cake"...how cute, and I know that the song was written by Bono for his wife, BUT...I wouldn't exactly call it a love song...it seems pretty bittersweet...here are the lyrics, as a reminder:

My love she throws me like a rubber ball
Oh oh oh, the sweetest thing
She won't catch me or break my fall
Baby's got blue skies up ahead
But in this I'm a rain cloud
You know she likes a dry kind of love

I'm losing you
Hey hey hey, I'm losing you yeah
Ain't love the sweetest thing

I wanted to run but she made me crawl
Eternal fire, she turned me to straw
Oh oh, the sweetest thing
You know I got black eyes
But they burn so brightly for her
Mine is a blind kind of love

I'm losing you
Oh oh oh, I'm losing you yeah
Ain't love the sweetest thing
Oh oh, yeah

Blue-eyed boy meets a brown-eyed girl
You can sew it up but you still see the tear
Baby's got blue skies up ahead
And in this I'm a rain cloud
You know we got a stormy kind of love
Oh oh, the sweetest thing

~~~~

That doesn't seem like a song I would want playing at a wedding. "stormy kind of love"..."she won't catch me or break my fall"..."I'm losing you"...I think guests would hear this and think, WTF??? Except maybe for Grandma cuz her hearing isn't that great.
biggrin.gif

What do you all think? Agree or disagree?

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I agree that it doesn't really fit well lyrically

my girlfriend and me are leaning towards Bono + Frank on "I've got you under my skin"

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

yeah, i wouldn't use sweetest thing. while i'm sure the lyrics are personal to bono and mean a lot to ali, it's hard for the rest of us to relate to them. it's not a blatant love song, it's typical abstract bono.

------------------
Does love light up your Christmas tree?

Happy Holidays!

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

...if God will send his angels...

But.....

If you are using "Sweetest Thing" for the cake cutting segment, who is really going to be listening to the words? All they will really hear (Unless they are U2 freaks like us) is "Oh oh oh, The Sweetest Thing".

I tend to agree with zonelistener. Additionally, I think some music can be used as mood music, where the lyrics might not even be particularly relevant to the occasion, but the sound fits. That's my feeling, anyway.

The "I'm losing you" lyric alone would preclude me from using it...its fairly prominent.
There's always the standard "Bride cuts the cake" song...its cheesy, but effective.

I wouldn't use it. You guys know what the lyrics are all about, so to me, that would be enough. Now that's not to say you can't play it at some other point during the night, I just wouldn't play it at such a pivotal moment, that's all.

------------------
I disappeared in you
You disappeared from me
I gave you everything you ever wanted,
It wasn't what you wanted

I was going to ask, do you have brown eyes and your fiance, blue? As I formulated the Q I realised, mine are brown, hubs are blue, very blue. Thanks for helping me make the connection.
There are so many truly wonderful songs to choose from, makes it hard to decide. Good luck to you both...ohhh a wedding, i'm gonna cry...
smile.gif

How about using "Wild honey"?

Or, if you don't mind using a cover, "Everlasting love" or "Unchained melody"?

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-02-2002).]

Kat...I don't think 'The Sweetest Thing' works as a song in any wedding situation, though it is an awesome song. But in time, you will be able to relate to the song when either of you have to say sorry for something said or did.

By the way, when I got married, AIWIY wasn't even out yet, or any other U2 love song for that matter...the closest one my friends mentioned to me at the time was 'Drowning Man'.
wink.gif

Chris

All I Want Is You would be perfect for me and whatever girl I can put up with someday.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

In A Little While or Wild Honey or pssobily The Ground Beneath Her Feet could work pretty well as far as the very few non pessimistic U2 love songs
tongue.gif
. there aren't so many..

Originally posted by SkeeK:
In A Little While or Wild Honey or pssobily The Ground Beneath Her Feet could work pretty well as far as the very few non pessimistic U2 love songs
tongue.gif
. there aren't so many..

Yes, but wasn't Ground beneath her feet inspired by a story of a person losing their lover in an earthquake?
("for what i worshiped stole my love away, it was the ground beneath her feet")
And later mourning the loss? ("let me rescue you"... but the person realizes he can't do it)

Another of my favorite U2 happy love songs is Trip through your wires.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 01-02-2002).]

I'm actually planning on performing (on guitar) "sweetest thing" for my brother's wedding. That or "Stand By Me/Walk On". Of course he's not going to get married for a while. "In a little While" would be a great one too.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Originally posted by cass:
I was going to ask, do you have brown eyes and your fiance, blue?

Well, my fiance's are blue, but mine are green.

Thanks for all of the good suggestions, everyone!!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

I agree that it's probably not the best choice. I used "Sugar, Sugar", it was a fun song. One of my friends used Beautiful Day to come into the reception. When's your wedding?

And I think guests do listen to the music. I was at a wedding last month where the DJ played some Phil Collins song (can't remember which one) during dinner and it was this sad break-up song...it was totally wrong for a wedding!

[This message has been edited by Jenn121 (edited 01-02-2002).]

Originally posted by Jenn121:
One of my friends used Beautiful Day to come into the reception. When's your wedding?

Hey, that's a good idea!

The wedding date won't be for awhile though...we both want to finish school first!
icon24.gif
*lol*
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 01-02-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom