The Sweetest Thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
From @tu2.com - Part of U2's Top Ten Music Videos of all time

2. Sweetest Thing (director: Kevin Godley)

You don't need to know a lot about U2 to find "Numb" funny. "Sweetest Thing," on the other hand, is an in-joke fest for U2 trainspotters. It is ideally suited to the Internet era of fandom; those who knew the significance of the marching band, the big puppet Bono and Edge heads, the boxer, etc. shared their knowledge with any who missed the references.

Like "Numb," the plot is simple ("Bono uses everything within his considerable means to apologize to his wife") and so is the setting-the camera stays focused on Bono who never leaves his carriage seat. Not calling attention to the other elements of the scene enhances their humor -- for instance, the "I'M REALLY SORRY" banner appears without comment and then retreats into the background. Unlike "Numb" there is a wide field of vision, allowing the jokes to have a cumulative effect -- the "I'M REALLY SORRY" banner is still visible when the "I'M REALLY, REALLY SORRY" banner appears.

I have a few questions:

...what IS the significance of the marching band?
...the big puppet heads were ZOO TV, right?
...the boxer, the firemen, all that other stuff going on...what IS the significance of all this (or the 'inside joke' if you will)?

Anything you can tell me would be awesome. I love the video, it's one of my favourites, but (having never been to ZOO TV) I had no idea there was so much significance here, so many inside U2 jokes.

-------------------------
:heart: Ain't love the sweetest thing?

Last edited:
Orchestra is a band where Larry once played

yes indeed those puppets appeared on a few ZOO TV shows as a support

Guys ( boxers , firemens ) are from Chip & Dale Male show for women .
Favourtie dish , elephant

all this to please his beautiful Wife ...Auuuoo The Sweetest Thing

I love This song

...em...right...the song was written for Ali during JT days. Bono had forgotten her birthday and wrote the song for her. All the things in the video are allegedly her favourite things...like her members from one of her favourite bands, Boyzone, she likes firemen (must be universal :censored: ), she likes gourmet food, etc etc...

the funniest part of that clip is that one of the boyzoners cant fit on the back and he's just running along the side of the car :laugh:
i met the larry head and spent a few nights showing him round sydney recently :D

I'm so ashamed to say this but when I first saw the video I thought that Boyzone was actually the rest of U2!!!:huh: :( :barf: :sick: :banghead:

I owned The Best Of 1980-90, but I didn't really become a HUGE fan until 2000 and ATYCLB.

I'm so ashamed and embarrased.

:der:

Well, all that clears up a few things, pinkfloyd and ballykissangel.

I love, love, love this video. It's the most adorable video I've ever seen-always puts a smile on my face when I watch it. Such a sweet way to apologize to his wife.

And I love the song, too (especially now that I've seen that video...every time I hear the song now I think of the video, which makes the song even better).

Angela

pinkfloyd said:

Favourtie dish , elephant

EW! Elephant!? Isn't that like, illegal or something? I mean, really. We can't kill elephants for ivory, but we can kill them to eat their tough, leathery skin?
Wouldn't it have been more appropraite to show a plate full of elephant meat, rather than Ali see her next meal walking around?

Oh, I get it. So, an elephant is her favorite animal. So, what was her favorite food? I always thought the song was sweet. It's nice understanding the video a little better. I understand better why Bono makes himself look so quirky and silly. He's acting out how he feels about the situation. He feels like an idiot for forgetting her birthday. How sweet.

Really? The chef is Bono's bro??? I know he owns a sandwich shop in Dublin called Naked, but I didn't think he was a chef. I stopped in Naked, and it was just a small shop, not chef material. I have heard that Ali appreciates gourmet food and her tastes are reflected in the menu at the Clarence, which is really a lovely place to eat in Dublin.

Thats not actually Bono's brother.
Norman Hewson is an older, chubbier, not as pretty version of Bono.
He doesnt look like that guy.
Someone find a pic of Norman Hewson.

Here's Bob and his two kids
family.jpg

And the big heads aren't just fun masks.

They're the Joshua Trio, a group who make their living mocking U2.

-Mike

Mike P said:
And the big heads aren't just fun masks.

They're the Joshua Trio, a group who make their living mocking U2.

-Mike

eh? IT's a trio? SO they didn't mock the whole band?
U2 knew about this? Did U2 hire them, or did these guys just show up at concerts?

Hmm....

Actually, Im not sure if the actual trio were in the clip because a friend of mine from Dublin was there the day of filming and hes the one thats actually the Larry head. He was watching and a crew member came up and asked if he wanted to be in the clip. They handed him the Larry head and its him walking down the street.
Maybe Larry got sick that day cause the guy that was doing Bono is definitely someone who looks like he does it regularly. He has the arm movements going.

Back
Top Bottom