The stupid Vancouver Sun music critic...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scatteroflight

Refugee
...didn't include U2 in the top ten best concerts of 2001 in Vancouver.

I remember reading her review after seeing the show. It wasn't withering, but it was not very nice. It sounded like she was suffering from U2 over-exposure, and she hadn't liked Popmart and didn't want to like this tour either. I don't remember the details of the review, but it was lame.

The concerts she did choose included Elton John/Billy Joel
rolleyes.gif
, Richard Ashcroft, and Jeff Beck. She didn't include Midnight Oil either, which I read an excellent review of--I hate myself for not making the trip from my island home to go to that one. Oh, man, I shouldn't even think about it. I think they played the Commodore and that holds what, 1000? I need to move to Vancouver or some decent-sized city with an actual venue for respectable concerts!! I could easily have gone to Midnight Oil AND Depeche Mode as well as U2 if I didn't live on Vancouver Island!

Ok, I'll shut up before I get all worked up thinking about this.
wink.gif

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 12-29-2001).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
...didn't include U2 in the top ten best concerts of 2001 in Vancouver.

I remember reading her review after seeing the show. It wasn't withering, but it was not very nice. It sounded like she was suffering from U2 over-exposure, and she hadn't liked Popmart and didn't want to like this tour either. I don't remember the details of the review, but it was lame.

The concerts she did choose included Elton John/Billy Joel
rolleyes.gif
, Richard Ashcroft, and Jeff Beck. She didn't include Midnight Oil either, which I read an excellent review of--I hate myself for not making the trip from my island home to go to that one. Oh, man, I shouldn't even think about it. I think they played the Commodore and that holds what, 1000? I need to move to Vancouver or some decent-sized city with an actual venue for respectable concerts!! I could easily have gone to Midnight Oil AND Depeche Mode as well as U2 if I didn't live on Vancouver Island!

Ok, I'll shut up before I get all worked up thinking about this.
wink.gif

Elton John/Billy Joel? Goodbye credibility, my dear. Seriously, those two has beens have been milking some very ordinary songs for far too long now.

and my friends flew to vancouver to see radiohead in concert and that wasnt included either? her opinion isnt worth the ink its printed with.

but youll probably still read her column anyway wont you?

------------------
-death bear

who was nr. 6 in her list?

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
and my friends flew to vancouver to see radiohead in concert and that wasnt included either? her opinion isnt worth the ink its printed with.

are your friends human
biggrin.gif

------------------
U2Oklahoma&
Z
-
E
D
G
E

gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO

Scatteroflight,

Yeah, I remember her review in the Sun. She's a hopless critic from what I remember -- concentrating more on Sarah McLauchlan being in the stands than the actual U2 concert. Besides, the best paper to read a rewiew -- on movies, music, plays, and any news for that matter -- is The Georgia Straight. It isn't controled by any big companies. It employes a very strange concept: honest journalism (go figure, hey?). They gave the U2 concert a deserving review. They also gave the Radiohead concert a very favourable review.

Speaking of that Radiohead concert, I was there! It was the second best concert I've ever attended (right after the U2 concert this year) and, on a techical level, it was just as good as U2, if not better. Please don't flame me for that!

------------------
The Tempest

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

Well I don't live in Vancouver so I only read the Vancouver Sun sometimes, but yeah, probably...

As for Radiohead, if I remember correctly she had Kid A as one of the best albums of the year but not the concert. But I could be wrong.

------------------
You say you want
Diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold

Back
Top Bottom