The Strokes...a little "Boy" sounding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I just got the Strokes album "Is this it?" and at first listen I did not like it whatsoever. My friend who is a U2 fan recomended them to me, and at first I thought Christ I guess we don't have the same taste! But after a couple more listens I have fallen in love with it. Its like a fresh revival of an 80's punk album and the sound reminds me a lot of Boy. Great guitar work as well. I'm wondering if this is the sort of style U2 is looking for on their next album, you know the "guitar record" as Edge has put it.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I think it is the worst thing I have heard in a really long time. I think it is absolutely awful, and NOTHING like the great BOY.

Is that the song with a chorus that ends the line, "The circle has just one side"? If it is.... thank you, thank you, thank you. I've been trying to figure out who this band was for weeks, as I've occasionally heard them on the radio, but never could catch the band name or song title.

But yes, the reason I noticed them in the first place was the strikingly similar guitar sound the song has to the Boy album. That's the first thing I thought of, as well.....

APOED - That song is not by the Strokes, its a song by TRAVIS a somewhat similar sounding band. Its on their latest album "Invisible Band" They too remind me a little of U2, especially the lead singer.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by tackleberry:
APOED - That song is not by the Strokes, its a song by TRAVIS a somewhat similar sounding band.

is it just me, or do the strokes and travis sound NOTHING alike??? travis is sooo mellow, while the strokes are, well, NOT.

i haven't bought their album yet, but there certainly is a lot of hype about the strokes. i wonder if they'll be a flash in the pan, or whether they actually have staying power....

another interesting tidbit is that 4 out of the 5 members of the strokes (if not all of 'em) come from really wealthy families. they're Upper East Side/boarding school kids. the lead singer's father is John Casablancas, the really sleazy dude who owns Elite Model Management.

The Strokes rock! My favorite album of 2001. Also, saw them live in Cleveland and they put on a tremendous show.

------------------

you can try the best you can
you can try the best you can
the best you can is good enough

So they're from rich families are they? Somehow I'm not surprised. They've got that "trying too hard to look like street kids" vibe about them. The albums nice though.

MAP

they're trying to look like they're not trying. they're alright, but the whole embracement of a music style from decades ago might come back to hurt them.

the same way U2 got slagged for their root rock Rattle and Hum period.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

just saw these guys at the Apollo in Harlem and they put on a great great show. esp. the lead singer, julian, he's out of control. this is probably due to the fact that he was hammered though.

but unfortunately "the strokes" brought along "guided by voices," who i had heard good things about, but was totally unimpressed with. especially since their set was way too long.

and david cross had a 45 min comedy set before the show and continued to mc throughout the alternating sets. he's a funny mofo.

and the guy who we scalped our tickets from was really into "the strokes," and had met the band on a few ocassions. so he told us where the after party was and we all went out to 7b in the village after the show and partied with the whole band. and they can party bigtime and also have some incredibly hot girls in their entourage.

Originally posted by no disk:
they can party bigtime and also have some incredibly hot girls in their entourage.

the hot chicks are probably Elite models... "Thanks, Dad!" lol! just kidding!!!

sounds like a very cool experience, no disk.
smile.gif

The Strokes

a decent record, but certainly overhyped. They've got that throwback NYC sound down and really remind me of a sped up Velvet Underground. Simple, but charming melodies of the guitar-bass-drum variety. I'd rate it a 7 out of 10.

I love this album to death!! And yes it does grow on you even more as you listen to it... like a fresh punk sound, you're right. I don't think this is the sound U2 is looking for though, it seems like it would be too much of a blast to the past for U2's liking... they're all about fast forward and all. I don't know where they'll bring us next.

I love the Strokes album. I don't know if it reminds me of Boy, the only similarity that I find is the Raw Energy that bands have when they are first starting out. Also, U2 were around the same age (a little younger) as the Strokes were when they were writing Boy!!

I have heard Bono saying that the next album will have more of a punk sound. He also said that POP would be a guitar album though
smile.gif

I still haven't bought that album yet
frown.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 01-02-2002).]

I don't have the record yet but I've listened to it a few times at work. The Strokes are an excellent band and well worth checking out if you haven't already, and well worth supporting. I know a couple of people who have seen them live and they said they put on a good show. What I personally like about the Strokes is that their debut album does have a lot of raw energy, it's not entirely polished and over-produced. I think as a band they are quite dynamic as they've encompassed a sound that's all their own yet at the same time I'm reminded of The Who (moreso than U2's Boy but that's just lil ol me's opinion) when I hear them. Since they are dynamic I think The Strokes have a great future ahead of them. I predict they will be one of those bands that will venture forth and try new things musically with each record while still retaining the spirit of their style - much like U2 has.

I haven't heard the whole album yet, just the single they have been playing on MTV2, but to me they sound like the Velvet Underground.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

I love the Strokes music. they're very promising.
I don't think it sounds especially punky but more Velvet underground /60's New York rock.
The thing that doesn't suit all well with me is the all 'Converse Allstar-street-kids' thing. How very original
rolleyes.gif
They're trying soo hard to be cool it's almost ridiculous.

Definitely one of the albums i wanna check out in the future.

I heard "Last night" on MTV and liked it immediately. Quite raw, simple rock'n'roll.

Though i don't think the clothes are supposed to be "cool image" thing.
To me, their clothes seem old-fashioned nowadays, but i think it suits the music.

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like it's the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

get your head out of the mud baby

Tackleberry, thanks for the FYI. I didn't realize that it was Travis, but I am a little bit familiar with them (they sing that "Sing" song, right?) I'll have to check out their new CD....

I like the Strokes. I did not want to because I hate following the hype, but I could not resist. It's not the big deal, but it's great fun. Fresh, cool and easyminded music. Especially "Someday"!

------------------
I let the melody shine
Let it cleanse my mind
I feel free now

but unfortunately "the strokes" brought along "guided by voices," who i had heard good things about, but was totally unimpressed with.
"Alien Lanes" and "Under the bushes, under the stars" were two great Guided By Voices albums
they never hit form like that again though
frown.gif

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

The Strokes could turn out to be a flash in the pan. A bunch of drunks right now.....
but the album is great. Saw them live in Philly.......they're so tight you wonder if the music isn't piped in, sans the vocals.

The Whites Stripes are much better IMO.
Real, raw. None of this overhype pseudo punk pretention like The Strokes.
The Stripes write AMAZING songs, wrapped around Sabbath-esque guitar and Phil Rudd-simplistic drum work.
Jack and Meg know how to rock.
Check out 'White Blood Cells', you won't be disappointed.

Bono even put it on his year end best five.
That has to tell you something!

if anyone is interested, i made a bootleg at "the strokes" vanderbuilt show in long island in november. it's very good quality and a great show.

i'm going to make mp3's tonight and can make them available through morpheus. or if someone has a website that they want to post them on, that would be cool too. this is because i only have a 56k, that's running at around 28k since september, so depending upon the interest, it may be slow going.

one thing though, you need to turn the volume up very high to hear the performance. this is due to a conversion problem i will fix in the future. but for the time being, it is fairly easy to compensate for this on most sound systems.

I've heard a bit of The Strokes, and it's pretty fun, but nothing incredible. One of best quotes I've heard regarding them:
"One of the best B grade bands out there..."

It'll be interesting to see what they do next.

if anyone is interested, i made a bootleg at "the strokes" vanderbuilt show in long island in november. it's very good quality and a great show.

i'm going to make mp3's tonight and can make them available through morpheus. or if someone has a website that they want to post them on, that would be cool too.

Hey! I was at that show, too. Where can I find the mp3's?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom