The Story Of The Lost CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murray

Acrobat
THE STORY OF THE LOST CD A.K.A. WHY THE EDGE CARES SO MUCH THAT A BURNT DISC OF UNFINISHED U2 SONGS IS LOST A.K.A. A STORY THAT I WROTE TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL BETTER ABOUT THE STOLEN CD THING:

It's 7 AM and U2 is driving down to Nice for a photo shoot for their new album.

Adam - The Edge, how do you make such incredible sounds from your guitar if all you ever listen to is that blasted Jessica Simpson record?
The Edge - singing along "...i can say anything craaazy..."
Lary - Whatever man. I think I am going to take of my shirt. Is anyone else hot out here?
Adam - No, it's like 60 degrees, in the car. And the air conditioning is way up...
Lary - Oh...Oh well.
Bono - (to himself) maybe if I dress up like George Bush and dance around, I can be on Time magazine again...hmmm..
Adam - Hey, I think Henry Rollins left his ol' cowboy hat in here...
Bono - I CALL IT! MINE MINE MINE!
Lary- Whatever man. Whatever. Oh good! We're here! I was getting kind of hot. I think I am going to take my pa-
Adam slams door shut.
The Edge - (Grabs Jessica Simpson CD) I am taking this with me...
Everyone gets out of the car except Bono
Bono - (puts on cowboy hat and looks at himself in the mirror, starts singing) "helllo helllo, I am a guy called Bono-o.." ooh! that sounds good. I'll have to bring those lyrics up at the next band meeting!
At the photo shoot. Everything goes well.
Adam - man, that was a good photo shoot!
Lary - yeah...yeah...I miss my mermaid.
The Edge looks on the ground, where he stratigically placed his Jessica Simpson record and can not find it.
The Edge - Oh no! I lost my CD! I need to call Angelina Jolie! (dials Angelina Jolie's number on his tiny cell phone)...Angela! Hi! Look, if you help me find my CD, you can have your 'key' back. What? No, this isn't the Vertigo video! What? Hello? No! She hang up on me!
Lary - Maybe you should ask that police guy over there!
The Edge - Oooh! Good thinking. Hey police man! I lost my CD!
Police Man - You mean U2's new record? If so, I'm right on the case!
The Edge - ummm...yeah...that's it...and...uh...it's hidden in a Jessica Simpson case so nobody would recognize it, so, you know, those kids over at Interference.com wouldn't steal it and put it online. Yeah.
Police Man - Okay, I'm right on it! (into walky-talky) looks like we got a missing U2 CD...in a Jessica Simpson CD case...yes she is sisters with Ashlee. Good, I'm on it.
Adam - gee man, I hope they can find that CD. I mean it would be so terrible for us not to hear Jessica Simpson ever again...wink wink.
Lary - yeah, we better get going back home.
Bono - (singing to himself) "hello hello, my names is Bono-o..."
The Edge - yeah okay.
Adam - (once everyone is in the car) Mwa ha ha! Now we never have to hear that blasted Jessica Simpson CD ever again! Mwa ha ha! MWA HA HA!

THE END

Enjoy!

lol. funny.

but the cd was never stolen or lost. it was all publicity, and it worked.

If it was just a publicity stunt, I have even greater respect for U2 than ever thought possible :D For one thing all the hype around the story was great fun and got everybody expectant for the new album when news was slow, plus it got them $millions worth of free publicity, possibly just as much if not more that their own £10m worth of promotions - even my mother knew about the missing CD :huh:

Very wily and clever - I bet it was Edge's idea...

Don't flame me for any of this, it's just my weird British way of looking at things back again ;)

Last edited:
i agree. it was brilliant PR by U2. the marketing gods are definitely smiling down on the band.

Brilliant PR by U2: maybe. Illegal: definitely. Do you really think U2 would lie, and cause the French police to waste officers and hours, and the newspapers space and time, all in the name of free album promotion? U2 are better than that.

The disc was stolen, but will released as bootleg AFTER the official release comes out. Why? Because everybody is on it for now, but when HTDMAAB is out the bootleg version will appear at the cd/vinyl fairs accross Europe.

I was at a fair this weekend at the RAI in Amsterdam (bought myself a cool proshot live dvd Dancing Zoo TV Stockholm 92, in full color too and mixed...only 25 euros!) but didn't came accross the new bootleg. So i asked. And the answer a German lady give was "we don't have it yet". It's gets out after the official release because those people are affraid BIEM/STEMRA will close them down for selling illegal stuff. When the real deal is out, the stolen one gets easier to sell for them as a so called Promo cd (wich are mostly bootlegs).

You guys totally missed the point of this thread. I am not saying that I think it's funny that The Edge lost a CD (which he didn't), I am making up a story.

Miggy D said:
Brilliant PR by U2: maybe. Illegal: definitely. Do you really think U2 would lie, and cause the French police to waste officers and hours, and the newspapers space and time, all in the name of free album promotion? U2 are better than that.

the french police weren't involved. it was all made up, but it made for a good story, and hyped the album up for casual U2 fans.

mikal said:

the french police weren't involved. it was all made up, but it made for a good story, and hyped the album up for casual U2 fans.

Who is to say that the french police wasn't involved? they was involved in Diana's death wasn't they? :eyebrow:

actually i'd be a bit disappointed if u2 invented the sory of the stolen cd just for publicity, i don't think they need swindles like this to make people talk about their upcoming album

i'm not dissapointed in the band, I think it was set up for sure and it's a great way to kind of "force" hype on the people. Now it has peoples attention and with this new title name, it will get more attention. Its a great marketing plan.

babyman said:
actually i'd be a bit disappointed if u2 invented the sory of the stolen cd just for publicity, i don't think they need swindles like this to make people talk about their upcoming album

The CD was gone for a bit, it has now been recovered.

could be it's just a not a story to tell yet.... er else we would have heard it somehow.. one would think

Katey said:
could be it's just a not a story to tell yet.... er else we would have heard it somehow.. one would think

perhaps, however many stories are never/rarely told... because they don't beg to be told... this story begs to be told... even if it ends up the cd was found in Edge's bag ;)

Back
Top Bottom