the sound we can expect from the new songs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorian Gray

Refugee
I had an interesting experience last night. I was bored and listening to some of U2 b-sides when Summer Rain came on. At the time I'd been thinking of how the next album could sound and I really began wondering if parts of Summer Rain were indicative of the sorts of songs they're writing now. (specifically the last minute of the song) The tempo for one thing, is a little faster than much of ATYCLB. And by the time the band kicks in, you can almost imagine the song working with a slighlty heavier guitar tone... Edge even comes in with a heavier guitar sound around the 3:30 mark. I think this is the "rockin" edge we've been hearing about, only on the new album, it'll be more prevalent. (it'll also last longer than the 15 or so seconds it does on here)

any thoughts? am I completely off my rocker? :der:

Last edited:
Summer Rain sounds like it was mixed in about 30 minutes. It's a nice little song, but it has a feeling like they realized it wasn't good enough for the album so they didn't put much time into finishing it. Frankly, I'm expecting a whole lot more.

In terms of guitar sound, I'm envisioning "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" by the Stones. Could be wishful thinking though. Overall, the sound I am envisioning is, if you've heard Longwave, the first two songs off of their CD. If there's anything that sounds like the Strokes, it's going in the trash. I like the Strokes, but I don't want U2 sounding like the Strokes.

Tom in Boston said:
Summer Rain sounds like it was mixed in about 30 minutes. It's a nice little song, but it has a feeling like they realized it wasn't good enough for the album so they didn't put much time into finishing it. Frankly, I'm expecting a whole lot more.

I didn't mean to imply it would sound like this in terms of production or song quality... my bad. What I meant was this sort of arrangement, tempo, etc. The brief part with the heavier guitar especially. It reminded my of that Q-Magazine article that said the new songs were filled with "primitive riffs" and had a "raw", "garage" sound.

This is a bit off-topic, but I have a question: the lyrics at the end of Summer Rain, did Bono write those? I'm sure I recognise them from elsewhere ...

Hopefully some kicks ass solos. Hopefully the band will let Larry go wild on the drums. I think he was restrained in ATYCLB, for its more minimal sound (except Elevation).

The arrangement for "Summer Rain," with that upbeat tempo and that small rockin' Edge part reminds me of "One Tree Hill"

I love both of those songs and i would love a new album to sound like that. In the New Album Info Page, though, i read it sounded like "techno-mozart" whatever that means.

Sounds like pop to me

To me, a song like Summer Rain really represents the U2 Pop Song. I'm not going to pretend that the next album wont be poppy, actually I almost guarantee that it will build on the pop sensibility that the guys expertly honed on ATYCLB. But, again, it'll have more guitar, and a rawer sound, like that I hear towards the end of this song.

Who knows though, my two cents might be worth nothing in the end.

EDIT: You're dead on with the One Tree Hill guitar comparison!

Last edited:
what you don't realize is that it ISN'T bono's actuall voice on all the albums... but after they mix the tracks a thousand times, you get the voice we know and love. the real bono, sans glasses, mix effects, makeup, etc. actually looks and sounds kinda like this...
_38289931_jackson150.jpg

now you know why it always takes so long for them to put out new material... they have to mix the tracks a million times to get the sound right, and they have to fix up bono's face and stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom