The Song That You Hear In Your Head: The Best Of U2 1980-2006

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:

Yes, I realize what you're saying.. believe me! After all, the Beatles wrote rather simple melodies.. and what great songs they were! I'm just saying that musical complexity is one of the tools you could use to judge.

Would you rather have the Edge fucking around with his guitar and bringing new, innovative sounds and time signatures into the new material or churning out 'easy to play' solos with no extra effort whatsoever? I'd rather have the former. More creativity. :shrug:

Hummm, well, I see your point. In fact, your right, but I got me thinking that a simple riff easy to play is not synonym of a bad sounding and lack of innovation as a great riff, something different can happen not to work and to sign the song. In this case, I think that the riff+chorus and the heavyness of the song (in comparion with the album or the more recent work) make the difference, that's what I'm trying to say.

Of course I want Edge to push boundaries once again and to show me something I haven't ever heard and that crosses my heart right through my brain, but it's important to be listened and to capt the attention and LAPOE can make it better than other songs in the album.

Zootlesque said:

There is nothing to that guitar solo. I don't even play the guitar but I can see how basic that 'solo' is! (if we can even call it that, it's more like some outro guitar) The notes are basically ascending all the way up and then descending as the song comes to a close. Now compare it to say, New Years Day, UTEOTW or The Fly. Now THAT is a solo! :drool:

Curious NYD solo is just like

1st part , only on the minor E :

19-15-17-12-15-10-12-10-7

Then some open strings and couple of notes that's all

Fly and End of the world , were probably built upon NYD , Not sayin they are bad , but they are not THAT complex

Besides Love and Peace solo is done with a slide , so it changes the thing , I'm not sure now , Can't remember , but I think It's solo has more notes than all of these

I think that this particular Greatest hits album is the wrong idea at the wrong time. Get in another abum or two first. We already have best of 1980-2000. Go with best of 2000-2010 if anything...assuming a couple more albums pop out.

In the mean time, the fantasy playlist is easily accessible in the age of the ipod

Zootlesque said:
Jesus, can you take the time to throw a drowning man a line?...

Just for clarity, this isn't a Bono lyric in any case - it's a line from a Seamus Heaney poem. Not that that makes much difference to whether one song is better than the other, which is a matter of personal taste.

Love and Peace gets my vote for the record.

And as regards the original purpose of this thread, 'The Songs That You Hear In Your Head' is a superb title for a best of.

Here's my go at such a compilation, which, of course, would probably include one or two new tracks. But if not...

'The Songs That You Hear In Your Head: The Best Of U2 1980-2005'

Disc 1:
1 Zoo Station
2 Even Better Than The Real Thing
3 Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
4 Running To Stand Still
5 Sunday Bloody Sunday
6 Vertigo
7 Last Night on Earth [SINGLE VERSION]
8 Please
9 Where The Streets Have No Name
10 October
11 New Year’s Day
12 The Unforgettable Fire
13 Lemon
14 With Or Without You
15 The Electric Co.
16 Desire
17 The First Time

Disc 2:
1 Zooropa
2 Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
3 One
4 I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
5 Until The End Of The World
6 I Will Follow
7 Beautiful Day
8 Bad
9 Pride (In The Name Of Love)
10 Walk On [SINGLE VERSION]
11 Original Of The Species [SINGLE VERSION]
12 Mysterious Ways
13 Staring At The Sun
14 Miss Sarajevo
15 Sweetest Thing [SINGLE VERSION]
16 Out Of Control
17 All I Want Is You

dietcokeofevil said:
We already have best of 1980-2000.

Do we REALLY have the BEST of 1980-2000? :ohmy:

Where the hell are Out Of Control, Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat As One, "40", A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, In God's Country, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Heartland, The Fly, WGRYWH, Zooropa, Lemon, Mofo, Please, IGWSHA, Elevation, Walk On, Kite and the ORIGINAL versions of Numb, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun and Gone? :down:

Actually the title is way better than the obvious "greatest Hits", "best of", "ultimate collection" or the likes :rockon:

ponkine said:

Do we REALLY have the BEST of 1980-2000? :ohmy:

Where the hell are Out Of Control, Gloria, A Celebration, Two Hearts Beat As One, "40", A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, In God's Country, One Tree Hill, God Part II, Heartland, The Fly, WGRYWH, Zooropa, Lemon, Mofo, Please, IGWSHA, Elevation, Walk On, Kite and the ORIGINAL versions of Numb, Discotheque, Staring At The Sun and Gone? :down:

While I agree with the point you're making, a 'best of' HAS to be made up of songs that the casual listener is at least somewhat familiar with or that the casual listener has at least heard of. 'A Celebration', 'A Sort Of Homecoming', 'Wire', 'God Part II', 'Heartland', 'Zooropa', 'Mofo', 'If God Will Send His Angels'(well, maybe), 'and Kite don't really fit that description. Also, if a best of starts taking three and four discs to fit everything, the prestige of being on a best of begins to lose meaning.

But I do agree with your main point.

Well, I'm glad you guys like the title so much. I'm sure you all already know, but just in case, the title is a line from Discotheque:

Looking for the one
But you know you're somewhere else instead
You want to be the song
The song that you hear in your heeeeaaad

namkcuR said:
Well, I'm glad you guys like the title so much. I'm sure you all already know, but just in case, the title is a line from Discotheque:

Looking for the one
But you know you're somewhere else instead
You want to be the song
The song that you hear in your heeeeaaad

Wow. I didn't even realize! :reject:

What about a "The Best Of The Rest" or "The Best We Left Behind" (something like this).
What do you think of: ...?
1. MoFo (new mix - a bit similar to the live version) / 2. The Fly / 3. 11 O'clock tick tock / 4. Out Of Control / 5. Gloria (edit) / 6. Bullet the Blue Sky / 7. Please (Uk edit) / 8. A Sort Of Homecoming / 9. In God's Country / 10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar edit) / 11. Lemon (edit) / 12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet / 13. If God Will Send His Angels (single v.) / 14. Last Night On Earth (single v.) / 15. NEW TRACK / 16. Running To Stand Still / 17. "40" (live from Red Rocks)

Then a bonus Cd full of demos (perhaps a including a physical releasement of some of the "Unreleased & Rare") and unknown or rare songs to the common listener like "Goldeneye", "Stateless", "Salome", "Wild Irish Rose", "She's A Mystery to Me" (studio) or "Boomerang II"...

Then they could release the Best Of from the present decade...
Does this sound bad idea?:reject:

Aygo said:
What about a "The Best Of The Rest" or "The Best We Left Behind" (something like this).
1. MoFo (new mix - a bit similar to the live version) / 2. The Fly / 3. 11 O'clock tick tock / 4. Out Of Control / 5. Gloria (edit) / 6. Bullet the Blue Sky / 7. Please (Uk edit) / 8. A Sort Of Homecoming / 9. In God's Country / 10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar edit) / 11. Lemon (edit) / 12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet / 13. If God Will Send His Angels (single v.) / 14. Last Night On Earth (single v.) / 15. NEW TRACK / 16. Running To Stand Still / 17. "40" (live from Red Rocks)

Then a bonus Cd full of demos (perhaps a including a physical releasement of some of the "Unreleased & Rare") and unknown or rare songs to the common listener like "Goldeneye", "Stateless", "Salome", "Wild Irish Rose", "She's A Mystery to Me" (studio) or "Boomerang II"...

No one would buy that. And diehards can put that together with a playlist(minus the 'new' mix of Mofo).

I'd rather him them put out an all-inclusive 1979-2006 Best Of. Or make another record and then do Best Of 1979-2010.

I think they really backed themselves into a corner as far as an individual Best Of 2000-2010 goes because they put Beautiful Day(along with Stuck In A Moment) on the best of 1990-2000, but they can't possibly release a Best Of 2000-2010 WITHOUT Beautiful Day. So they either have to release a Best Of 2000-2010 with the most egregious omission possible, or they have to release Beautiful Day AGAIN on the Best Of 2000-2010 and appear to be cash cows who have no limit to how many times they will release the same song to make a few bucks.

For this reason, it wouldn't surprise me if there never is a Best Of 2000-2010 standalone, and instead a Best Of 1980-2006/2010 is released.

namkcuR said:

I think they really backed themselves into a corner as far as an individual Best Of 2000-2010 goes because they put Beautiful Day(along with Stuck In A Moment) on the best of 1990-2000, but they can't possibly release a Best Of 2000-2010 WITHOUT Beautiful Day. So they either have to release a Best Of 2000-2010 with the most egregious omission possible, or they have to release Beautiful Day AGAIN on the Best Of 2000-2010 and appear to be cash cows who have no limit to how many times they will release the same song to make a few bucks.

Yeah,it wouldn't surprise me too...
When I came with this idea I was not thinking if people could buy it or not, it was just something that could make a complement and fill the gaps that the previous Best Of's left.

Aygo said:

I'd be hoping the next greatest hits comes out in at least about 7 or 8 years time personally....and you left Another Day off your list!

Not a bad little compilation though

I just came with the idea of a new mix from MoFo, because there is no official studio recording similar to the version they used to play live. If they made it with Discotheque, Gone, SATS and Numb... why not with MoFo?:drool:

Back
Top Bottom