The SINGLES, would you change them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FelipeVox

Acrobat
I would.

JOSHUA TREE
(the original singels: Where The Streets Have Np Name, I Still Haven?t Found What I?m Looking For, With or Without You)

Ok, I won?t change this. Altough Running To Stand Still would be a great single, one of my favourie U2 songs ever... The two other singles were: In Gods Country (USA only) and One Tree Hill (NZ and Australia, and Japan I think). Both are great.

Achtung Baby:
(the original singles: The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, Even Better than The Real Thing, and Who?s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses)

I chose:
The Fly
One
Wild Horses
Ultra Violet
Acrobat

(Dropped: Real Thing - which is good but no great and Mysterious Ways - one of my last favourite song of the album, altough Ways - and One - were the great hits of the album, I just don?t like it).

ZOOROPA
(the original singles: Stay, Numb, Lemon)

I chose:
Stay
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Daddy?s Gonna Pay

(Dropped: Numb - It sucks. It?s bad. No, UNITED COLORS is worst. Maybe, only United Colors; Lemon - I LOVE it, specially the mix on the Best Of, but the original song is 7 min and the single version is only 4... And Lemon is not very radio friendly)

POP
(the original singles: Discotheque, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Please and If God Will Send His Angels)

Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Wake Up Dead Man
If God Will Send His Angels
Gone

(Dropped: Discotheque - the new mix of the Best of 1990-00 is GREAT, I love it! But this version sucks, and it killed U2 reputation in rock n roll; Please - it?s not that good. The live version is better. And it?s not radio-friendly at all... Dead Man is beeeetter!!)

ATYCLB:
(the original singles: beautiful day, stuck in a moment, elevation, walk on)

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
Kite

(dropped: Stuck In a Moment, which IMO is very overrated. While Stuck is only a good song, Kite is GREATNESS)

What would you change?

:wave:

Lemme have a crack at this... :hmm: Let's just call this my possibles alternative list :wink:

Joshua Tree
Running to Stand Still
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
One Tree Hill

Achtung Baby
One
Until the End of the World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Acrobat
Even Better Than the Real Thing
(thematic for AB)

Zooropa
Stay
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Dirty Day
Lemon

*POP*
Last Night on Earth
Gone
If God Would Send His Angels
Playboy Mansion
Please

All That You Can't Leave Behind
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Elevation
Wild Honey
(A pop single)
In a Little While
(a Motown single)

ATYCLB

I would have done this

Beautiful Day
Stuck ... (studio version is great)
Elevation
Walk On
Kite (live from Boston) :wink: This one I would reliese it 2 or 3 months prior to the new single, as a warm up. I would do that with every record

Alright, let's have a go ...

The Unforgettable Fire
- A Sort Of Homecoming
- Pride
- Bad

Joshua Tree
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- With Or Without You
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Bullet The Blue Sky
- Running To Stand Still

Achtung Baby
- The Fly
- Mysterious Ways
- One
- Love Is Blindness
- Acrobat

Zooropa
- Stay
- Some Days Are Better Than Others
- Lemon

Pop
- Last Night On Earth
- Gone
- Please
- Staring At The Sun

ATYCLB
- Beautiful Day
- Elevation
- Walk On
- Kite
- Wild Honey

I pretty much agree with U2's single choices. The thing to keep in mind is that singles are chose more for the statement they make and for commerical reasons than the comparative goodness of the tracks.

JT
With or Without - perfect breakout song
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Amazing song, stuck out like a sore thumb against what was on teh radio at the time (from my image of late middle 80's anyways, I was five so I could be wrong)
Where the Streets Have no Name - A solid faste Rock song to follow up on two more ballady songs

Past three singles and you're stretching it. In God's country is a good choice commercially, breezy rock track. Personally I'd be tempted to stick Bullet in there, just to stir up a little discussion, but U2 already had decided to avoid the political band box. Politically and socially aware,as any close reading of the lyrics on this album will show, but no a capitial p Political band. But it would have made a nice dent in the Rock charts as it's one of their best rock tracks IMHO.

AB

The Fly - good first single as it put across that U2 were now something quite different, especially when the last single put out before this was All I Want is You (I'm not counting Night and Day of course)
Mysterious Ways - Good pop-rock song, again a marked break with the old in it's bouncing funky sort of tune. WHile this song has worn on us fans with it being on the radio a lot, that is a testimony to it's staying power
One - Perfect third single, a strong hint of the old and a simply amazing song. Poignant, but vague enough to mean so much to so many people.

Again fourth single's pushing it. As much as I love the single version of Wild Horses, it's a tad opish a finish. I'd put Until the end of the world here. Smazing song though it really shines in the live version. It's a solid rock track to remind people what U2 are.

I'll leave it with those two for now

I'm weird. I discovered on the survivor game that most of my favorite songs on each album are NOT singles!

For me it's more a matter of songs I don't like that have singles, which are Mysterious Ways, Numb, and Stuck In a Moment.

I think Kite, Running To Stand Still, and Acrobat would be my top three others deserving of singles.

I agree with Blacksword, 3 singles is just about the perfect number for each album.

JT's 3 singles are perfect as they are.

So are R&H's. (Except I don't much like When love Comes to Town ...)

AB - I think One and Mysterious Ways are excellent, great singles. For the third, I would have chosen either Ultraviolet or Acrobat instead of EBTTRT. And, much as I love Wild Horses, I would have stopped at 3.

Zooropa - I would've liked the song Zooropa, but the 3 choices are pretty good.

Pop - They're all great songs, but 5 is a bit much. I would've had Staring at the Sun as the 1st single, Please or Last Night on Earth 2nd, and Discoteque 3rd (once everyone was used to the "new" U2).

ATYCLB - I think they're pretty good choices. I'm not a huge fan of Kite or Wild Honey, they don't really seem to fit in with the rest of the album. So I'm pleased with BD, Stuck, Elevation and Walk On.

Now that I think about it, The Ground Beneath Her Feet is definitely single worthy (or at least album worthy) IMO.

To me the only single I would have changed would have been replacing Please with Gone. Please is NOT single material, though I do feel at that point nothing could have really hurt since the last three singles off of Pop were basically ignored by almost everyone except the die-hard fans.

Singles I would have like to have seen:

UF - Wire (why not it rocks)
JT - Red Hill Mining Town (only because it is a perfect 80's song)
RH - Heartland (the ballad that would have gone to #1)
AB - Acrobat (best song on the album)
Zooropa - Zooropa (edited unfortunately)
Pop - Gone (rocked completely)
ATYCLB - Kite (what were they thinking not releasing this?)

I'm out.

Oh yes, Heartland DEFINITELY should've been a single. Why that was not released and why it wasn't played live is beyond me, because that's one of U2's best tracks ever. It is AMAZING.

But Wire? No. A Sort Of Homecoming would've made a much better single.

And a question for everyone: was Sunday Bloody Sunday a single? I've read varying reports, from that it was, to that it wasn't, to that it was but only in Europe. Can anyone clear this up for me?

My choices
THE JOSHUA TREE
With or without you
Still Haven' t found
Where the streets have no name

ACHTUNG BABY
The Fly
Mysterious ways
One
Ultra violet
Acrobat

POP
Mofo
Staring at the Sun
Discotheque
Gone
Last night on Earth

ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND

Beautiful day
Elevation
Walk on
Kite

SBS was only a single in one of the Scandanavian countries I think, and nowhere else. A live version of it from Red Rocks was released in most areas as a video however.

That?s very strange. I don?t why this song was the greatest U2 hit - and still is. Everybody knows SBS but it?s hard to find someone (non-fan) who knows 2 hearts beat as 1 (which was a single). I?m 15 so I didn?t get this U2 era, so I can?t say why it was that famous...

Hm, I see. A single in only one country? That's interesting - I would've thought that they'd release it in more than just one place. I'm 16, and so that was before my time, but I've grown up knowing it as this big, massive hit that everyone knows (and if you don't, you've been living in a cave for the last twenty years with your fingers jammed firmly in your ears). I haven't heard it on the radio lately, but I used to hear it fairly regularly ... and I can still remember hearing it when I was seven and even though I only knew the words "Sunday bloody Sunday", I still tried to sing along.

Back
Top Bottom