The single turning point for the emergence of soft U2 is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
If god will send his angels. After that song was recorded the band cut a hard left off of their track and have been trying to find their way back ever since.

What do you mean by soft? Just in terms of sound? Please is not exactly what I'd call soft. Neither is Last Night On Earth or Vertigo or All Because Of You.

Zootlesque said:
What do you mean by soft? Just in terms of sound? Please is not exactly what I'd call soft. Neither is Last Night On Earth or Vertigo or All Because Of You.

Vertigo and All Because of You are as soft/tame as my neighbours fat little cat.

Earnie Shavers said:
Vertigo and All Because of You are as soft/tame as my neighbours fat little cat.

Are you saying they are soft? They're not hard rock by any stretch of the imagination but we're talking about U2 here! lol.

I want to know when U2 started being a "hard band". To my ears they have never really changed that drastically as far as attack or dynamics go in their albums.

Lancemc said:
I want to know when U2 started being a "hard band". To my ears they have never really changed that drastically as far as attack or dynamics go in their albums.

Exactly!

I do believe that they have mellowed down with regards to experimentation and Edge doing funky things with his guitar a la LIB, Mofo or even Stateless but they were never "hard rock"!

Post-Punk -> Rock -> "Classic Rock" -> Experimental / Alternative -> Adult Contemporary / Pop

that's U2 in genres for me over their career. they've done their share of "hard" songs but they are by no stretch a "hard rock band".

zitherglow said:
anything from UF would count as soft

Do either Wire or Indian Summer Sky ring any bells?

david said:
Uhh.. songs dating back to as far as October are pretty soft.. depending on what your meaning of soft is.

We could even go back to Boy - The Ocean, Into The Heart, and SATT aren't exactly heavy.

I guess when I say soft I mean cute. U2 ISNT hard rock and thats why i like them. And who knows when they RECORDED IGWSHA the tracklisting doesnt mean anything. It couldve been recorded at the end of the sessions. It lacks teeth and so does everything after pop. And they were riding the fence on POP. They fell off with 'angels'.

If you're looking for the turning point to a more adult contemporary direction, I would say Stuck In A Moment. But I'm not sure about soft or cute. :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom