The single turning point for the emergence of soft U2 is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:
Sweetest Thing remix ring any bells? :shrug:

yeah that lead up to ground beneath...

ok so im willing to bet it was like this:

hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
dead man
mofo
gone
please
lnoe
discoteque
dyfl
velvet dress
staring at the sun
miami
playboy mansion
angels
sweetest thing remix
ground
atyclb
htdaab

see that part where they ride the fence keeping them out of soft/corny/castrated/shallow's backyard then they fall off at angels. the question is were they climbing the fence with window in the skies?

Forgive me if I don't cross all my T's and dot my I's, been imbibing in some spirits this evening. :)

Obviously The Sweetest Thing Redux was the point where U2 stopped caring about less about sonics and the more musical adventurous material and started caring more about hooks that could digest enough to give them the airplay they desired.

It's not as if U2 didn't always love a 'soft' song, or a hook-laden pop song, but I think that particular song signified when U2 said, "this is what we are about" which is essentially to write pop songs that either catch your ear and burn up the charts or at least have enough of a hook to make you remember them.

They might have been 50% hook and sell in 1997 and 50% try and cook up something at least unique to U2, after the Sweetest Thing I think it's more like 80-20.

It wasn't that song that caused it, it was damaged ego, weariness and probably the toughest pill to swallow for some (including myself for a good while) they simply are and always were a pop band trying to find ways to re-write the Beatles formula so one day they would be lauded as great. Rock Halls of Fame, Awards, Sales not good enough, they want to be mentioned in the 'mix' of the so-called greats of the day. It's an ambitious and embarassing proposition all at the same time.

It is the point where the ego was exposed, once and for good, although I suppose if you had been paying enough attention all along, it was always there.

U2 aren't sell outs, they are what they always have been.
The Bee Gees, The Beach Boys, you name 'em, a pop band who found credibility in their greatness and thei image. Since then they've blown up that image two or three times over, the greatness....well that's debatable.

In keeping with the topic, ABOY is probably the heaviest rock 'n roll song they've ever done.

but this appears to be a veiled "they suck now" thread.

Depends on your definition of 'heavy', which I guess then depends on how you read the definition of 'soft' as it has been used in this thread.

ABOY has loud guitars, yes, but it's a soft little kitten of a song.

MrBrau1 said:
In keeping with the topic, ABOY is probably the heaviest rock 'n roll song they've ever done.

but this appears to be a veiled "they suck now" thread.

Intellectual Tortoise FTW :rockon:

nah they dont suck now, bomb wouldve been classic with a better tracklisting production and an 86ed miracle drug for fast cars. it still doesnt have teeth though. xanax and wine has teeth. it didnt make it past the security guard.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I love how The Sweetest Thing remix gets mentioned as if the origninal had some bite to it:huh:

This theory has so many holes...

the original was a bside. it didnt really count until they decided to rework it with added cuteness complete with video.

Earnie Shavers said:
Depends on your definition of 'heavy', which I guess then depends on how you read the definition of 'soft' as it has been used in this thread.

ABOY has loud guitars, yes, but it's a soft little kitten of a song.

most of this thread appears to be dealing with "heavy" in musical terms.

MrBrau1 said:

most of this thread appears to be dealing with "heavy" in musical terms.

Well, we're talking about U2 here. They've pretty much never been heavy musicaly, in the :rockon: sense, only ever in the depth and weight of their songs, which is kinda why I didn't think this was what the thread was about. Why point out If God Will Send then? Under the musical definition, U2 pull out about 3 'soft' songs per album. If you are talking about the weight and depth of their songs, yes, they've steered (!!! IMO !!!) way into the lighter, shallow waters of late and I do consider the Sweetest Thing single as the starting point of that, as a general direction.

Using one definition:
All Because of You > So Cruel

Using the other:
So Cruel > All Because of You

Last edited:
Earnie Shavers said:

Well, we're talking about U2 here. They've pretty much never been heavy musicaly, in the :rockon: sense, only ever in the weight their songs carry.

No doubt. But they've always had that "rock" side to them. I haven't really seen that side go away at all.

Which is why this thread is puzzling.

Sorry Brau, I was editing while you were replying. Wouldn't change your post though.

The thread is puzzling if it's meant to be in a strictly musical sense.

Earnie Shavers said:
Sorry Brau, I was editing while you were replying. Wouldn't change your post though.

The thread is puzzling if it's meant to be in a strictly musical sense.

I agree with your So Cruel/ABOY statements. Deep investment vs. throw away rock n' roll.

What are we talking about here t8thgr8?

emotional weight? or visceral weight?

You never made that clear.

But if he's talking about emotional weight, that doesn't make sense either because he referred to 'If God Will Send His Angels' as a turning point, and that song is quite, quite heavy lyrically.

namkcuR said:
But if he's talking about emotional weight, that doesn't make sense either because he referred to 'If God Will Send His Angels' as a turning point, and that song is quite, quite heavy lyrically.

I don't think he knows what he's talking about.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I like So Cruel, but IGWSHA has much more attitude than So Cruel.:huh:

What's "attitude" exactly? :eyebrow: If we're talking strictly about lyrics, So Cruel is like a raw nerve ending compared to IGWSHA, which has a heavy sentiment, but is a tad sugary. And musically, So Cruel is fairly stripped down while IGWSHA has more in common with Stuck In A Moment.

precisely

its too sweet. if youre not paying attn to it it sounds poppy and cheesy and soft. that mightve been the point but to continue with that motive for two albums is overkill.

if you dont know what im talking about i guess this is between me and U2, because i bet they do.

Zootlesque said:
If you're looking for the turning point to a more adult contemporary direction, I would say Stuck In A Moment. But I'm not sure about soft or cute. :scratch:

Yeah, I mean, what's cute about ?

"I’m ‘round the corner from anything that’s real
I’m across the road from hope
I’m under a bridge in a rip tide
That’s taken everything I own"

That's more of a downer than uplifting or "cute."

I'm not sure Bono would write straightforward "cute" songs, like cute love songs?

He claims those songs will not see the light of day. There's often some bittersweetness to his lyrics.

t8thgr8 said:
you could say the ground beneath her feet was the next song recorded after angels.

ereeuurrgghh, iI get shivers down my spine when the glorious The Ground Beneath her feet is in the same sentence as that other song you mentioned.....eeeeuuurrrggghhh :wink:

namkcuR said:

I said TGBHF because:

(a) IGWSHA was released simultaneously with Mofo, which is decidedly not soft.

(b) LNOE, also not soft, was actually the last song recorded for the Pop sessions.

(c) Sweetest thing is a reworked b-side.

But I agree that IGWSHA, Sweetest Thing, and TGBHF all have an adult contemporary feel to them. And it's not like U2 hasn't released "harder" songs since TGBHF. :shrug:

Danny Boy said:

I said TGBHF because:

and TGBHF all have an adult contemporary feel to them. And it's not like U2 hasn't released "harder" songs since TGBHF. :shrug:
have you heard the song ?????
go buy MDH ost
you're so wrong

Back
Top Bottom