The Second Bomb...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tranquilfire

The Fly
Maybe this is a stupid newbie thread, but has anyone notice that this new album title is U2's second allusion to the atomic bomb, the first being The Unforgettable Fire? Kick me in the pants if you like...

Nah, I think it's a good thread, of course I'm kind of a newbie myself :p It's a good point though...and of course the atomic bomb is mentioned in "Seconds"... interesting U2, very interesting. :hmm:

Tranquilfire said:
Maybe this is a stupid newbie thread, but has anyone notice that this new album title is U2's second allusion to the atomic bomb, the first being The Unforgettable Fire? Kick me in the pants if you like...

Perhaps because they are of a certain age. They are about the same age as my siblings and I know both my brother and sister said that "The Bomb" was a powerful image and even fear during their childhood. They still occasionally talk of being required to do bomb drills when they were in school. Now either I didn't give a shit or the panic over an imminent atomic bomb blast had waned by the time I got to the age where I would remember, because I had a pretty worry free childhood.

I believe in the Third World War
I believe in the atomic bomb
I believe in the powers that be
But they won't overpower me
- A Celebration, 1982

wasn't unforgetable fire the allusion to the fire at slane castle? or did that happen *AFTER* they released it.. i remember something about them recording an album at slane, and then it burning down

I think I remember the fire you're talking about. But the album refers to an art exhibit that U2 saw called The Unforgettable Fire. It had paintings about the atom bombs dropped at Hiroshima and Nagasaki - the unforgettable fire, I'm assuming, being the blinding flash and the aftermath of the bombs.

Tranquilfire said:
Yeah! I totally forgot about A Celebration! It's one of my favorites and one I wish they would play live.

Yeah, I'd love to hear it again, it was a shame it wasn't played all too often live. Story goes that Edge forgot how to play it. Well, now that he's here, Mister Edge, would you like to confirm or deny that?

Back
Top Bottom