The Scent Of Freedom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marr

The Fly
Of all the songs on HTDAAB, people oftne talk about Vertigo,ABOT,SYCMIOYO,LAPOE and stuff but they kind of ignore Miracle Drug. Beside, i think it won't be a single.
And that a shame becouse for it's an instant u2 classic. The guitars,the change of tempo,and the solo!(plus Edge is singing a bit)

There's only one thing that's realy weir about it.
"Freedom has a scent like the top of a new born baby's head"?

What the hell Bono wanted to say by THAT?

There's an explanation about that statement somewhere on this forum... He loves that statement.

one4u2 said:
There's an explanation about that statement somewhere on this forum... He loves that statement.

i have hear he was talking with Sean Lennon and stuff, but still this line is quite odd.
i know it's just a detail but details always sell the stroy, don't they?

Still it could've been a single.
Anton Corbijn could a video for that.......
Just imagine this on MTV!

one4u2 said:
not necessarily

Why not?

Perhaps it wouldn't top the charts but a song like that in the radio, or on MTV ?

Could surprise some people.
I'd chose it instead of SYCMIOYO. That choice is too obvious.

LAPOE would also make a great single BTW.

Marr said:
Still it could've been a single.
Anton Corbijn could a video for that.......
Just imagine this on MTV!

It's a GREAT song, yes, but I'd prefer a video for COBL!

To paraphrase the B-man, "freedom has the scent of a newborn baby's head" alludes to the idea of "all future, no past" (Bono's words).:wink:

Freedom is all about what one can create (the future) and not in what was before (the past). This is Bono-speak and I love it!

In regards to "Miracle Drug", it alludes to the genius that was in Christy Nolan just waiting to come out (the future) and not the disability he was born with (the past). :yes:

Hopefully that makes sense - it does to me.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Miracle Drug is not for MTV! It's just so grown up if you know what I mean.

well think about it..... a babys head is the first part of it 2 emerge (during a natural birth anyway) and this is the first amount of freedom the baby has had ever........

Marr said:
Of all the songs on HTDAAB, people oftne talk about Vertigo,ABOT,SYCMIOYO,LAPOE and stuff but they kind of ignore Miracle Drug.

I guess I'm being the last one noticing this but if you think Crumbs sounds like Walk On part II, then there's no hesitation about Miracle drug being With Or With You part II, right?
Many parts of this song is equal to With Or With You...

Therefore anyone who think's With Or With You is one of U2's greatest songs ever and doesn't think Miracle Drug is..I don't know what's wrong with you...:D
OK, Miracle drug is different from With Or Without You in the way it's "built".
With Or Without You starts slowly then keeps build itself up and just breaks free into something BIG, while Miracle Drug is "just" keeping the same tempo all the way through...

Last edited:
Bono had talked about the power that songs and music have. That they have the power to change moods, atomosphere, temperature and even recall the memory of scents. In other words, music is experienced by all the senses. He made a self-flagellating joke about U2 having put some bad smells out (I do hope his forgiven himself for Pop since I love it) but he was tying in the power of music to smells. And in typical Bono fashion he said that freedom had a scent and that it was like the top of a newborn baby's head.

I love smelling my baby's head when I'm holding him. ..... I think I'll go do it right now :sad:

Back
Top Bottom