The sanctity of Where the Streets Have No Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
corianderstem said:
Am I the only one who kinda loves the Pet Shop Boys version?

I actually knew this version first cos I didn't get into u2 until AB was released.

In fact i love their tongue in cheek version, much better than to do a straight copy

mtoreilly said:

I've heard that version before, but the Ethiopian idea always seemed much stronger to me. That Bono was inspired after visiting Ethiopia with Ali, when there was the great famine (I think it was 85, sorry if that's wrong). The idea of the streets with no name came from the endless rows and rows of makeshift tents that were put to up to shelter all the starving people.

A lot of the lyrics fit in with this idea too. The lyrics in the first verse seem to suggest that he is frustrated and sick of all the dying and that there is so little that can be done. He wants to "run and hide" from it all. These thoughts are possibly mirrored in those of the famine victims themselves. The idea of "tearing down the walls that hold me inside" seems to suggest he desperately wants to do all the things he can't do to try and save these people.

In the second verse the real thing that stands out for me is "I wanna take shelter from the poison rain". To me this suggests the metaphor that the poison rain is the lack of rain which is killing thousands of people, as poison would.

In the chorus we have "And when I go there, I go there with you. It's all I can do." This seems to show the idea that Bono went there with Ali and that it was quite literally all they could do - despite wanting to do more, they couldn't. Given that it seems it was initially Ali's idea to go, the words make sense.

In the third verse, "the city's a flood" gives me the impression of a flood of humans, making the makeshift city swell. "And our love turns to rust" is perhaps that despite all their hard work and caring, people are still dying and "turning to rust". The idea of death seems to be picked up a lot with the persistent use of the word 'dust' in the song. Finally, "High on a desert plain" could well be Ethiopia given that the country is a desert and is quite high above sea level.

As I say, this is just my interpretation of the song from things I've read and how I see the lyrics. U2's songs are very often ambiguous and about more than one sole thing, so it is entirely possible the Belfast idea fits in too, but for me the Ethiopian theme sits better.

A few post down I mentioned that the song was written and inspired from the ghost town of Bodie. The photo shoot collection of U2 in Bodie by Anton is one of U2's finest and largest photo shoots. Finally, the clincher to all of this: The 7" single, 12" single and cassette single covers, back and front, of Where the Streets have No Name are photos of U2 in Bodie. Adam, on the cover, stands on a dusty street in Bodie. The rest of band is on the back cover standing next to a building in Bodie.

As for Bono's comments? It is typical Bono, it's artistic interpretation but most likely not quiet the truth -- how can I say that? Because I was at the Seattle concert a few weeks back and Bono said Miracle Drug is about a girl dying from some disease, and in Vancouver during the concert he said the song is about a paraplegic guy etc. (these weren’t dedications but stories about the song, you can hear them on the boots too.) Over the decades Bono claims all sorts of contradictory things about his songs. I wouldn't call these lies; I'd call them artistic feelings towards works of art. But I wouldn't relay on them. It's more noble to think of Ethiopia than Bodie anyway.

Streets isn't about Ethiopia, sorry. You can go to a place on a high Sierra-Nevada desert plain, where the streets are unnamed, wind and dust never stop 365 days a year, melting snows flood down the streets, rusty 19th century machine boneyards abound, and two huge fires devastated most of the city (it had about 2000 buildings originally, today only a few hundred remain.) The National Monument guides will tell you the whole sordid story when you get there – assuming you can find it! It was considered the most lawless and dangerous city in the West. So many sad things happened there. U2 was there too. They fell in love with that place as well, and left us with a song about it.

Thanks for completely dismissing my opinions. Unlike you, I don't claim that my interpretation of the song is gospel, and that's the key word there - interpretation. That is how I like to interpret it, why shouldn't I be allowed to?

What really gets me is that you are so sure that your version is the correct version. You say the clincher is that the Streets singles had pictures of the band in Bodie. That's hardly concrete evidence is it? If I'm not mistaken, don't the covers for the other Joshua Tree singles feature pictures from the same photo shoots? So are all the Joshua Tree singles, the whole album perhaps, actually about Bodie? The cover for One has buffalos on it; should we take this to mean that One is actually about buffalos? And the Beautiful Day single has shots of the band in Charles de Gaulle airport. By your logic, that should mean that the song is actually about airports or aeroplanes.

Yes, Bono very often gives several different meanings to songs. But I have already conceded that Bono (and Edge) often write ambiguous lyrics. Why can't Streets be about more than one topic? You quote Bono as saying "all sorts of contradictory things about his songs" and site a couple of things he said recently about Miracle Drug. Why can't it be about a girl dying from a disease and also about a paraplegic? There's nothing to stop this being the case.

mtoreilly said:
Thanks for completely dismissing my opinions. Unlike you, I don't claim that my interpretation of the song is gospel, and that's the key word there - interpretation. That is how I like to interpret it, why shouldn't I be allowed to?

What really gets me is that you are so sure that your version is the correct version. You say the clincher is that the Streets singles had pictures of the band in Bodie. That's hardly concrete evidence is it? If I'm not mistaken, don't the covers for the other Joshua Tree singles feature pictures from the same photo shoots? So are all the Joshua Tree singles, the whole album perhaps, actually about Bodie? The cover for One has buffalos on it; should we take this to mean that One is actually about buffalos? And the Beautiful Day single has shots of the band in Charles de Gaulle airport. By your logic, that should mean that the song is actually about airports or aeroplanes.

Yes, Bono very often gives several different meanings to songs. But I have already conceded that Bono (and Edge) often write ambiguous lyrics. Why can't Streets be about more than one topic? You quote Bono as saying "all sorts of contradictory things about his songs" and site a couple of things he said recently about Miracle Drug. Why can't it be about a girl dying from a disease and also about a paraplegic? There's nothing to stop this being the case.

I wasn't dismissing your thoughts on the song. I think your interpretations are as valid as Bono's: he wanted people to think of Ethiopia. So the song is about Ethiopia or the plight he saw there. Your interpretations are very valid. Your ideas are exactly what the song tries to evoke, I didn’t think Bono wanted the song to be about a particular place! Those interpretations are wonderful. I guess my point is that Bodie seems to be the catalyst for the origin of the song and it's a great place to visit and be where the song may have been born. If you want to see where a piece of art may have been created, I am offering those reading here a place where you can see it. (note: yes, there were two other singles that used some Bodie photos from JT, but neither actually show the town, just some boards and windows).

Lastly, as you are conveying, Miracle Drug is about a million different people, as it is supposed to be. I think our disagreement here is over the emotional content of a song? I was being analytical and looking at the physical. I understand that these songs are not meant to be looked at under such a microscope. I apologize if I hurt your feelings or seemingly dismissed what you were saying. I mean that, I am very sorry. There is no way that my interpretation is necessarily the correct one. Your thoughts and interpretations are very important for people understand what this song is about. I think more important than mine.

oh, I forgot to add, that this is the "everything you know is wrong" section, so that's why came down a like preachy maniac, my damn fault for not thinking before pounding my keyboard though.
:reject:

Ok, having re-read the posts maybe I too was a bit harsh with what I wrote.

I also think I might have been in a slightly off mood when I posted last night. I was watching Question Time (that will probably only mean something to UK posters - it's a political debate show) at the time and listening to arsey politicians talk rubbish and question-dodge. It always gets my back up.

From what you've written, it is entirely possible that this place, Bodie, is where the inspiration for the song came from. The imagery you describe certainly points that way. I guess the song just took on other meanings as the years passed, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least I don't think so.

Don't worry, my feelings are intact :) Like I said, probably not in the best of moods when I replied, so sorry for that.

Btw, should I ever be in the States and in Nevada, I was already going to make it a point to check out some U2 related places. Now I'll have to add Bodie to the list too :) Thanks for telling me about the place.

mtoreilly said:
Ok, having re-read the posts maybe I too was a bit harsh with what I wrote.

I also think I might have been in a slightly off mood when I posted last night. I was watching Question Time (that will probably only mean something to UK posters - it's a political debate show) at the time and listening to arsey politicians talk rubbish and question-dodge. It always gets my back up.

From what you've written, it is entirely possible that this place, Bodie, is where the inspiration for the song came from. The imagery you describe certainly points that way. I guess the song just took on other meanings as the years passed, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. At least I don't think so.

Don't worry, my feelings are intact :) Like I said, probably not in the best of moods when I replied, so sorry for that.

Btw, should I ever be in the States and in Nevada, I was already going to make it a point to check out some U2 related places. Now I'll have to add Bodie to the list too :) Thanks for telling me about the place.

No, I don't think you were out of line at all. But I was way out of line -- whether you were watching a political debate show that riled you or not. I can't crawl inside Bono's head and prove Bodie or anything. Bono wanted people to think of certain aspects from the song, and you crystallized them in your post wonderfully well. If your other posts on this site are as good as the ones you wrote here, then I surely hope I did not discourage you from future posts? Now that would would be crime. I need to re-think my own methods of posting.:scratch:

You haven't discouraged me at all Lewis, and you are being very gracious about this :)

Shall we just agree that perhaps we were both a little out of line on this occasion? I'd feel happier that way, rather than you taking the blame. I was definately a bit rude in my post, at least I think so.

mtoreilly said:
You haven't discouraged me at all Lewis, and you are being very gracious about this :)

Shall we just agree that perhaps we were both a little out of line on this occasion? I'd feel happier that way, rather than you taking the blame. I was definately a bit rude in my post, at least I think so.

That's very nice of you, if it will make you happy. I think the reason I'm kicking myself a bit is because I have been hypocritical. I wrote some posts in the lyrics/songs area under "Lemon" in which I was writing about the song very much they you wrote about Streets. There were posts about the technical aspects of the origin of the song, and like you, I was writing about in feeling and Bono’s intent.

So here I was, snapping at you for doing exactly what I was doing on another Song post. It wasn't until I read your reply that I realized what I had done, that is, I was snapping at someone (you) for doing what I was doing. Jeesh.

Well, hopefully you have tickets to see U2 this summer. I have seen them twice on this tour and it's very, very good. I have two more shows to see: Barcelona and Portland (the last show of the tour).

Oh yeah, one last thing! Look for my post under "everything you know is wrong", "tell me something I don't know" post 36. I knew I guy who was in the Streets video in 1987. I have a little story about him and the video that you may find interesting.

Lewis12 said:
Well, hopefully you have tickets to see U2 this summer. I have seen them twice on this tour and it's very, very good. I have two more shows to see: Barcelona and Portland (the last show of the tour).

Oh yeah, one last thing! Look for my post under "everything you know is wrong", "tell me something I don't know" post 36. I knew I guy who was in the Streets video in 1987. I have a little story about him and the video that you may find interesting.

Yeah I got tickets to see them in Manchester on 14th June - I've been buzzing for ages! Would've loved to get to more but I really couldn't afford it.

I think I saw that post you're on about, but I'll have to go back and look again to remind myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom