The Rocking Zooropa? (my thoughts on what could've been)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the tourist

Blue Crack Addict
When U2 recorded Zooropa and decided on the tracklisting, they cut out most of (not quite all of) the rock from the album. But what would that album have looked like if they'd left the rock in? I think it would still be a great album, but quite different, and I could imagine it going something like this:

1. Zooropa (just as it is now)

2. Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me (again, just as it is now)

3. Stay (take out all the "effect" from the guitars/vocals; drums and bass just as they are, but with the acoustic guitar line Edge plays live, a simple electric guitar line which builds, and a piano playing the basic chords)

4. Numb (more or less the same, but with the rocking outro as heard on The Best of 1990-2000)

5. Lemon (more like how it was done live on ZooTV, most distinctly with the addition of the more prominent guitar sound and Bono's "midnight" vocals, not quite as long as the actual studio version)

6. Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car (again, more like how it was done live on ZooTV with the higher vocals)

7. She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (leftover from the Salome tapes, a real rocker, and a finalized version of what we've all heard)

8. Slow Dancing (acoustic guitar fingerpicked, with a string orchestra, similar to the b-side but a bit more music to it)

9. Dirty Day (exactly like from ZooTV to the very last detail)

10. The First Time (just as it is now)

The Leftovers:
Babyface (later used on The Passengers Project)
Some Days Are Better Than Others (later used on The Passengers Project)
The Wanderer (released as a non-album double A-Side single with I've Got You Under My Skin)

Last edited:
nope, not feeling it...............wait................................
......................................no still not feeling it.:wink:

the Zooropa-album would definitely be complete if 'Heaven and Hell' from the Achtung Baby session would have been added. That's a hell of a rock song that has never seen light of day!!

when zooropa came out i was so disappointed by it, i was still on my AB high. i only like one song ,"stay", goddamnit i was so in love with that girl and stay wrapped up all the sorrow her death had brought me into a neat little package. now 14 yrs later. i love zooropa and listening to it fills my head with thoughts of how happy we were, if only for a short time. stay stills make me ache for her. i look into my little girls' eyes and see not only her mother but strangely enough also images from that period of u2. like a living version of babyface.

i think you're missing the whole point of zooropa.

"rocking" can = "sucking", you know.

Keep Wanderer as the closer and ditch She's gonna blow your house for Babyface.

The soundtrack version of "Stay" would be an interesting inclusion in ROCK ZOOROPA. The drums have more of a "rock" feel on that version to me than the drums on the album version do.

Eazy-V said:
SDABTO rocks the block... why would you cull that?

I don't know why I cut it exactly. The lyrics and feel of the song make me think it belongs on Pop for some reason. :shrug:

Aardvark747 said:
Take The First Time off. Then it truly rocks my ass :up:

Well you wouldn't necessarily need a full non-stop album for rockers. I think War is probably the closest they've done to that and there was still Drowning Man and 40.

So, seeing as everyone here is violently opposed, I guess I must've hit some sort of nerve?

Maybe people just really don't like Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me or She's Gonna Blow Your House Down? Maybe people just have a closet thing for Babyface? Maybe Somedays Are Better Than Others ranks higher than it did the last time I checked? Maybe people don't like my description of Stay (I'm sorry, but in my opinion the production on that song could've been so much better without all the flange and phase on the guitar). Or maybe it's just a severe fear of change?

the tourist said:
So, seeing as everyone here is violently opposed, I guess I must've hit some sort of nerve?

Maybe people just really don't like Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me or She's Gonna Blow Your House Down? Maybe people just have a closet thing for Babyface? Maybe Somedays Are Better Than Others ranks higher than it did the last time I checked? Maybe people don't like my description of Stay (I'm sorry, but in my opinion the production on that song could've been so much better without all the flange and phase on the guitar). Or maybe it's just a severe fear of change?

i don't bout everyone else, but i'm not against your idea. it's just that the album as it is has a special place/meaning to me. maybe including HTKMKM and SGBYHD in the standard version would have made it the "rocking" album you seek.

Most people bitch and moan about Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others, though. Anyway, thank you for giving me a bit more of a response (than others).

lorenzo said:
the Zooropa-album would definitely be complete if 'Heaven and Hell' from the Achtung Baby session would have been added. That's a hell of a rock song that has never seen light of day!!

Really? I thought Heaven and Hell was a bit... weak.

the tourist said:
Most people bitch and moan about Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others, though. Anyway, thank you for giving me a bit more of a response (than others).

u'r welcomed. like i said earlier, when the album 1st came out i hated it and only liked "stay". as time has gone by i've learned to appreciate the album and your right about "stay"(blasphemy). :wink: they way they performed it at the dublin ZooTv show was always the way i preferred it.

the tourist said:

Maybe people just really don't like Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me or She's Gonna Blow Your House Down? Maybe people just have a closet thing for Babyface?

Well I always thought leaving off Hold me, thrill me... off Zooropa was their biggest mistake. And I don't know that it's a closet thing but yes, I always liked Babyface.

U2girl said:

Well I always thought leaving off Hold me, thrill me... off Zooropa was their biggest mistake. And I don't know that it's a closet thing but yes, I always liked Babyface.

I love Babyface. But as I was writing this I was also trying to think, "Well, wouldn't a couple of these songs fit on Passengers?" and Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others seem to me like they'd have fit well.

Zooropa
Babyface
Your Blue Room
Numb
Lemon (Lemonade Mix)
Miss Sarajevo
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Slow Dancing
Dirty Day (Junk Day)
The Wanderer (Soundtrack Version)

There's your perfect Zooropa. Rocking or not.

Tourist,

Have you heard "Lemon (Lemonade Mix)" or "Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (Soundtrack Version)."

They may help in your quest for a more rocking Zooropa. Misguided as it may be.

kingofsorrow said:
nope, not feeling it...............wait................................
......................................no still not feeling it.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom