"The records are boring"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carmanah

The Fly
I remember an interview, from the early 90's... perhaps it was the mid-90's. Bono, post-Zooropa, with his scruffy chin and blue glasses explaining that people aren't buying rock albums anymore because "the records are boring". I taped that interview on an old video cassette, now stacked somewhere in my parents garage in a cardboard box...

... and this is exactly the quote I hear Bono saying as I listen to How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb for the second time around. "The records are boring".

I remember Bono, while winning the Best Alternative Music Grammy for Zooropa, smugly shunning his competition, the Smashing Pumpkins, saying in his speech with a grin, that he'd like to see the Pumpkins sell out arena tours, suggesting perhaps that they could not. Of course, the Smashing Pumpkins then prompty released a successful double album that gained them fame and glory, and they sold out tours in arenas two years later.

I'm back to U2 and on the second song on HTDAAB. I almost feel myself wanting to skip ahead because the song is lacking the excitement or the substance that I used to crave out of this band. Is it too much to ask if the lyrics aren't screaming out to me anymore? I know that I go to Nickelback if I want radio-friendly formula rock, and I know that the context of this thought and associating U2 with it is sacriligious.

I read a review about coping with the second cr@p album (to which to my surprise, Pop was listed as the first cr@p album), yet, what I found even more alarming were the reviews praising HTDAAB as a masterpiece. It's amazing the difference in opinions.

I think my sister said it best when she told me that she's "more interested in what Bono's doing politically than what he's doing musically". We both sighed about it, and then I agreed with her.

I miss the exciting U2. With the occasional glimmer of magic in a few tracks here and there, I'm finding myself bored with this album. Oh, I'll give it another chance... and another, and another, etc, because it's U2. And the songs will grow on me because they're U2, but even then there's only a limit. That will only take me so far.

My sister, again, told me something quite telling tonight. She said, "I was watching U2's new music video on TV the other day, where they're in New York and perhaps it's a play on the Where The Streets Have No Name video, but they're on this truck driving through the streets of the city, and everyone is
freaking out and crying at the sight of them. But it only makes them look like they have big egos now... it actually looks silly. But the thing about this is, when I think back about it, all I can remember is their video. I don't remember the song. "

Last edited:
Well Zooropa is my third favorite U2 album, so I wouldn't expect too much flaming

Someone once told me that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.

I think I'll take that advice as I don't want to be banned for flaming the crap out of you.

Axver said:
Someone once told me that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all.

I think I'll take that advice as I don't want to be banned for flaming the crap out of you.

:ohmy:

You know I do think that whatever happens next will be an improvement infact I feel change is in the air look around it will happen, U2 aren't going to accept this believe me, they may have got Grammies for it, but they've got a solid base to do what they want again now, and yes this may be wishful but it could happen:wink: p.s. HTDAAB is not crap I have to keep saying it's good but not great:|

ZeroDude said:
You know I do think that whatever happens next will be an improvement infact I feel change is in the air look around it will happen, U2 aren't going to accept this believe me, they may have got Grammies for it, but they've got a solid base to do what they want again now, and yes this may be wishful but it could happen:wink: p.s. HTDAAB is not crap I have to keep saying it's good but not great:|

I'm prayin' for that! Not a new AB, not Zooropa II, but sth completly new.. :drool:
I believe they will deliver us that next time!

if they just stick mercy on the album and repeat it 11 times, I would still buy it :)

That's a combination of how much I like Mercy and how much I like U2.

But seriously an album with the direction of Mercy, it screams more zooropa.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

I'm just sick of you people shitting all over modern U2 because you're too - I don't know - to appreciate it. I love the band and I want to talk about my fandom with other people who appreciate them, rather than having these stupid fucking flame wars about how 'boring' or 'crap' or 'commercial' Album-of-choice is.

Maybe we should divide the forus.

Like half the forums for flamers and hald the forums for lovers.

The problem is U2 have that many fans who all joined at different stages and all want different things.

If you think of the different types of fans that Achtung Baby brought in compared to the Joshua Tree, wllthey are worlds apart in many ways.

And no one album release can really cater for the difference tastes of those fans. So some will like it, some will love it and some will loathe it.

Axver said:

I'm just sick of you people shitting all over modern U2 because you're too - I don't know - to appreciate it. I love the band and I want to talk about my fandom with other people who appreciate them, rather than having these stupid fucking flame wars about how 'boring' or 'crap' or 'commercial' Album-of-choice is.

whoa! :( hold your horses...
I don't see myself as one of the people you describe... I don't shit on "modern U2", especially if you count ATYCLB in it, cause I like it probably more than half of the people here. I even adore Stuck In A Moment. Anyway, that's not important. About the current U2, it's not I don't like anything they've done recently, I think some of the Bomb-sessions song are just great and Mercy is one of their best songs ever. I'm just bothered by the songs they chose to produce that way they did and put them on the album. That's all.
And if you can't bare some people not agreeing with you on everything, they just follow the advice you got and ignore tha posts. :|

I would like to know one thing.
Why I feel and think about ATYCLB like it's the worst album released by U2 (if not worst thing released so far in history), I can even take your post, change HTDAAB's songs to ATYCLB songs and videos...
while HTDAAB is for me a return to the real U2, not pretending to be the bigest band in the world like on ATYCLB but in fact being the bigest band in the world. It's THE U2 that I know and U2 that I'm a fan of?
WHY do you see ATYCLB and HTDAAB as equals???? To me it's like comparing a puddle to the ocean...

HTDAAB is my 3rd favorite album, ATYCLB is my least favorite...

:huh:

Carmanah said:

My sister, again, told me something quite telling tonight. She said, "I was watching U2's new music video on TV the other day, where they're in New York and perhaps it's a play on the Where The Streets Have No Name video, but they're on this truck driving through the streets of the city, and everyone is
freaking out and crying at the sight of them. But it only makes them look like they have big egos now... it actually looks silly. But the thing about this is, when I think back about it, all I can remember is their video. I don't remember the song. "

...and U2 didn't have big egos with the megalomaniac tours like Zoo TV and Popmart? Selective memory is not good...

I thought that was humbling for a band of their status, to play on a truck. To actually fight and work for their music along the pop and rap and r&b and pseudo "rock" bands.

That interview was actually done in Winnipeg during the Popmart tour I have it on tape.

Taken in context they were talking about the Internets affect on album sales...and Bono responded with the quote "there is a reason the music industry is in a slump, the records are boring!"

I think the same thing can be said about todays world for the most part the quality simply isnt there from start to end on most artists records. I think Bomb is one of the best records U2 have ever written and that is saying a lot. I truely hope this wins album of the year next year because I truelly feel it deserves it.

Axver said:

This is what this sites all about. Somebody offers a different point of view and a point of view that has many valid points, and some members can't accept it. If you ain't gonna praise the new stuff then don't talk about it seems to be the message on this board!

The best songs on the new album imo are:

Vertigo
One Step Closer
Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
One Step Closer
Fast Cars

Secondary to thisfor me is Love Peace Or Else

The rest just don't do it for me, I don't want to be seen as joining the pessimist/ complainers camp but it's just the way I feel

Carmanah said:

That's a big part of the reason I don't like videos in general, and especially not as a way to be introduced to a new song. I like to hear music and if it invokes images then they are my images and they are much more intense to me.

I did find the being driven around NYC while playing on a flatbed truck kind of cringeworthy. I know that relentless self promotion is vital to developing and maintaining high sales, but I wish it wasn't the case.

And Carmanah, I've heard several similar responses to yours about this album from friends and people I tend to agree with musically. And most of these people have been long term U2 fans, so they aren't the "haters" some many here would accuse them of being. I haven't purchased it yet, as I'm not really in the mood for new U2, and to force it would pretty much guarantee that I would hate it.

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
It's not about Zooropa which is great btw, it's about telling the truth about the new stuff/situation :huh:
:eyebrow:

The word "truth" suggests that this is a fact written in stone as opposed to being a personal opinion. :huh:

sallycinnamon78 said:

The word "truth" suggests that this is a fact written in stone as opposed to being a personal opinion. :huh:

To each their own - I like the album, personally.

Axver said:

Yes, but since when did that mean we can't have reasonable discussions with those whose opinions differ from our own? Just a question. I love U2, like you, but I think it would be very boring if we all held the same pointof view - it would be mindnumbingly dull and pointless.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

To each their own - I like the album, personally.

Yes, but since when did that mean we can't have reasonable discussions with those whose opinions differ from our own? Just a question. I love U2, like you, but I think it would be very boring if we all held the same pointof view - it would be mindnumbingly dull and pointless.

Excellent point!:wink:

ATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLB
HTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLB
HTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAAB
ABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOY
COBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLHTDAABABHTDAABAB
HTDAABABHTDAABABHTDAABABHTDAABABCOBL!ATYCLB!!!!

SO THERE!!!!!!

Nate Dogg said:
ATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLB
HTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLB
HTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAAB
ABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLATYCLBHTDAABABOY
COBLATYCLBHTDAABABOYCOBLHTDAABABHTDAABAB
HTDAABABHTDAABABHTDAABABHTDAABABCOBL!ATYCLB!!!!

SO THERE!!!!!!

Sorry, I missed your point...:scratch:

there is a political problem on the forum, and like actual politics, it resides in the extremes.

You have fan #1 who literally has a nervous breakdown if anyone says ANYTHING remotely negative about U2 or the new album

You have fan #2 who is so stuck in a moment that they can't get out of, that anything U2 does will pale in comparison to their era of choice. So they literally gripe because it's not Achtung or War or what the hell ever.

I like to see good criticisms of the album or even U2, reading, responding having those discussions is fun and I think it reaffrims faith in the band and it's music. Because if you can read those things and agree or completely discount them, I think it's just reaffirming.

I think there are absolutely legitmate criticisms about the new album, about U2's direction and such, it's just that most fans who choose to take that route, pick the wrong fights. They often don't even realize their own hyprocrisy in some of those statements.

And their is a clique of them on this board who say the same things over and over and over.

Others do make legitamte points and that's very intersting to me to read.

I don't like the apologists much at all, some of them behave like brain dead zombies incapable of fathoming their precious band could do anything wrong. Any negative comment is met with the typical similie of choice, and they dismiss all negative reaction by default. They too, repeat the same things over and over.

These are the extreme minority, and as usual, they are the most vocal.

I would just say, if you want to praise the album, or detract the album, that's fine, certainly no one should stop you, as long as you aren't downright offensive to other board members.

But when the negatives actually lead to good discussion, all you have to do is not read it.

How many of you could just gloss over a post titled "the records are boring" knowing full and well that it was probably a negative post.

On the other hand, it works both ways, and I don't mean to throw stones, I am just saying I read this forum for good discussion about the band's music, I love U2, and I don't think everything they do is beyond reproach. It's just much more intersting to talk about things with an actual perspective that isn't so damn extreme.

Plus I think you deal with the occasiocal kids who just want a classic U2 of their own and the occasional old fart who just want it to be like the old days.

Just make it constructive people! I try to at least, and maybe I don't make any friends by saying such things, but this board gets redundant.

Carmanah said:
I remember Bono, while winning the Best Alternative Music Grammy for Zooropa, smugly shunning his competition, the Smashing Pumpkins, saying in his speech with a grin, that he'd like to see the Pumpkins sell out arena tours, suggesting perhaps that they could not. Of course, the Smashing Pumpkins then prompty released a successful double album that gained them fame and glory, and they sold out tours in arenas two years later.

I'm not in the habit of sticking up for things Bono says or does, but I remember the "fuck up the mainstream" speech, and have always thought Bono was pissed that the academy gave a mainstream stadium rock/pop band like U2 the "best alternative album" when it should have been reserved for actual alternative bands - like the Pumpkins - who could have benefitted from the award. And, I may be incorrect, but I thought Bono had actually tried to get the Pumpkins to open for U2 at one point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom