the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
i realized earlier today that COBL is the best driving song i've heard in a while. it's positive, has an upbeat, always on the incline. the people who constantly listen to the radio in their cars will become addicted to the song.

personally, this song makes me want to run stop signs.:wink:

IT's a good choice for a single. It sounds like classic U2, and like you pointed out, its upbeat.

I'm sure the video will kick buttocks as well.

Not to mention that it's a song about a city. Lots of people live in cities and can probably relate.

Of course, by that logic, "All Because of You" should've been huge with that "I'm aliiiiiive!" part. Oh well, we'll see.

mikal said:
i realized earlier today that COBL is the best driving song i've heard in a while. it's positive, has an upbeat, always on the incline. the people who constantly listen to the radio in their cars will become addicted to the song.

Yes! I filled up at the petrol st, sorry - GAS station this morning, got back into the car and COBL came on the radio. I wound the windows down, turned it up, and had NO problems with the edit at all. It sounded great to me. More chance of getting to no.1 over here than if it was the album version with the long intro imo.

mikal said:

Lol----Wish I could agree with this. 'City' is a great song that deserves to score well on the radio. Problem is, there's no market for a song with a looking back feel among the younger demographics. Now you might think adult radio would pick it up because it sounds like classic U2, as Marvin said. Oops, there's already a classic U2 sounding song all over adult contempory. It's called 'Speed of Sound' by Coldplay. Unfortunately, even adult radio tends to go with the "trendier" bands and right now Coldplay is trendier than U2. Too bad, because 'City' is better than 'Speed'.

Re: Re: the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

Layton said:

Lol----Wish I could agree with this. 'City' is a great song that deserves to score well on the radio. Problem is, there's no market for a song with a looking back feel among the younger demographics. Now you might think adult radio would pick it up because it sounds like classic U2, as Marvin said. Oops, there's already a classic U2 sounding song all over adult contempory. It's called 'Speed of Sound' by Coldplay. Unfortunately, even adult radio tends to go with the "trendier" bands and right now Coldplay is trendier than U2. Too bad, because 'City' is better than 'Speed'.

Maybe it isn't an instant Top 10 hit but it's going to get more airplay than any other song on the new album, with the exception of Vertigo. I think Miracle Drug is a better song, but there's no way in hell it would get much radio airplay. The song requires some thought in order to fully appreciate it, which means 95% of Americans will not get it.

City of BLinding lights is a "feel-good" song, it's upbeat. It has a classic "u2" sound, but the production is sufficientlly modern to allow U2 to compete with Coldplay. It's a good choice for a single.

Re: Re: Re: the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

starvinmarvin said:

City of BLinding lights is a "feel-good" song, it's upbeat. It has a classic "u2" sound, but the production is sufficientlly modern to allow U2 to compete with Coldplay. It's a good choice for a single.

Hate to turn this into an argument, as I respect all opinions, but 'City' just doesn't have enough of a radio friendly chorus to make a significant impact at hit radio. Matter of fact, the "beautiful tonight" chorus could be the weakest part of the song. It's also not worked up and focused on anymore than other parts of the song, which is the opposite of what Coldplay has done with 'Speed'. U2 are not playing by the rules of hit songwriting like Coldplay are at the moment. Personally, I have huge respect for the U2 way. It's always given the rare hit in their career a little more credibility than the other radio hits they were up against.

Re: Re: Re: Re: the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

Layton said:

Hate to turn this into an argument, as I respect all opinions, but 'City' just doesn't have enough of a radio friendly chorus to make a significant impact at hit radio. Matter of fact, the "beautiful tonight" chorus could be the weakest part of the song. It's also not worked up and focused on anymore than other parts of the song, which is the opposite of what Coldplay has done with 'Speed'. U2 are not playing by the rules of hit songwriting like Coldplay are at the moment. Personally, I have huge respect for the U2 way. It's always given the rare hit in their career a little more credibility than the other radio hits they were up against.

I'm not disagreeing with your assertion that COBL will not be a massive hit. What I'm saying is that of all of the songs on the new album, COBL is the only one with potential to get any significant airplay at all. It will do well, but it won't be a big hit on Billboard. If the video turns out well, and captures the excitement of the song in a live setting, it may even make a dent on the charts. Maybe.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

starvinmarvin said:

I'm not disagreeing with your assertion that COBL will not be a massive hit. What I'm saying is that of all of the songs on the new album, COBL is the only one with potential to get any significant airplay at all. It will do well, but it won't be a big hit on Billboard. If the video turns out well, and captures the excitement of the song in a live setting, it may even make a dent on the charts. Maybe.

I'm thinking that AMAAW has the best chance to dent the charts. It's the equavalent of a chick flick song. It's all romantic, has a sexy groove and could be a wedding dance song for the so inclined. Chicks are a big part of adult contemporaries demographic. AMAAW has the best chance of scoring well there and thus cracking the top 40. Still, I'd say 50/50 at best for this song, too.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

Layton said:

I'm thinking that AMAAW has the best chance to dent the charts. It's the equavalent of a chick flick song. It's all romantic, has a sexy groove and could be a wedding dance song for the so inclined. Chicks are a big part of adult contemporaries demographic. AMAAW has the best chance of scoring well there and thus cracking the top 40. Still, I'd say 50/50 at best for this song, too.
wait, not meaning to be snarky, but AMAAW as a *wedding dance song*? Isn't that like 'every breath you take' as a wedding dance song?! insofar as it's not actually expressing something you'd want to express at a wedding (bitter obsessed stalking in the case of 'every breath' and the heavy complexities of longterm love relationships in the other?)

Losing the long intro sounds good for COBL's chances...I haven't heard the radio edit, but the long intro is by far my least favorite part of the song. I've been listening to pretty much nothing but HTDAAB in the car for a long while now, and I agree that though COBL's got a good cruising feel, I don't know how compelling I would find it coming at me in a radio playlist. maybe in the car it would be exciting I guess...

I did hear Miracle Drug come at me like that while in the mall (someone's musak? an actual radio show? didn't know...) and thought it was very ear-catching, and had a good perimeter, you know, the way it creates a space around itself?

anyway, cheers all!

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the reason why COBL will do well on the radio.

ShellBeThere said:

wait, not meaning to be snarky, but AMAAW as a *wedding dance song*? Isn't that like 'every breath you take' as a wedding dance song?! insofar as it's not actually expressing something you'd want to express at a wedding (bitter obsessed stalking in the case of 'every breath' and the heavy complexities of longterm love relationships in the other?

Lol----Hey people use One as their wedding song. There's alot more inter-relationship complexity to that song than AMAAW has. AMAAW is an avowal of commitment. It's an adult commited love song. Something U2 specializes at. Plus the latin flavor gives it a little "shake". I could see some latin oriented wedding band doing a number on AMAAW.

Back
Top Bottom