The Ramones and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheers, absolutely. :up:

Really wishing we had a pint icon or beer mug to signify a toast.

Edit to add: I'd be really curious to read U2's in-depth thoughts on the Ramones and their great influence on U2 some day. Sonically, instrumentation, vocals, lyrical phrasing, etc etc.

Hopefully in the U2 By U2 book or some such they will....

Last edited:
besides U2 of course.. best experience I had at a concert in Montreal. Ramones.. 94 in Montreal.. something went off there.. great concert great,great group ..

Johnny Ramone....gone to early..

a toast .. to a better place and bless him and his family & friends

How strange and sad that 3 of 4 members should go in the span of 3 years. :(

Tommy Ramone is the only surviving member of the group. :(

The impact of the Ramones on modern Rock music is immense and the Joy that they gave us through their music will live on forever! :wink:

ROCK 'n ROLL HIGH SCHOOL.... :hug:

I think the biggest inspiration from the Ramones (and the Pistols and the Clash, for that matter) that U2 had was that anybody could be in a band. Musicians are real people, and if you have four people that believe in something, even if they don't know how to play their instruments, they can use that belief, learn to play, and grow.

U2Kitten said:
UnforgettableLemon it is good to see you around again:)

Wow, people remember me. I've been lurking for a while :shrug: just felt it was time to be vocal again. Plus my girlfriend's doing a semester abroad right now, and I'm on campus for the first time (my junior year) with no roommate. So it's pretty easy to find time now, when I'm not working, or writing my screenplay for creative writing, or reading old english poetry, or doing any of my other school related activities. Blah. Rambling now. But thanks, it's good to be back.

It was very sad. On Sunday in LA there was a huge concert for The Ramones' 30th anniversary, just this unbelievable assortment of stars (I so wish I could have been there, one of those once-in-a-lifetime things) -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Steve Jones, X, The Dickies, Mark Hoppus from Blink-182, Eddie Vedder, Henry Rollins, Dicke Barrett from The Mighty Mighty Bostones, Rob Zombie as MC, and Marky and CJ Ramone. Anyway, from the LA Times review of the night...

"Johnny is fighting prostate cancer and was not able to attend (the concert was a benefit for prostate cancer research). Emcee Rob Zombie called the guitarist on his cellphone from the stage so fans could shout 'Hey ho, let's go!' to him."

How cool is that? That all those fans got to show their appreciation to him that last time, and that he go to hear it, is really fantastic.

Cheers.

R.I.P. JOHNNY!

Edit to say: I hope U2 plays Beat On The Brat on the next tour to the Ramones that are not here with us anymore. That would be pure class from a classy band! :up:

Last edited:
macphistosmagic said:
Does anybody have the cover of "Beat on the Brat" that U2 did? I just realized I have never heard it before. Rest in Peace Johnny :sad:

I have it!

I really think that when Bono spoke of Johnny during the Boston DVD it was a very touching moment. And that version of "In A Little While" is my favorite. :heart:

And yes, I concur...we really do need a pint glass o'stout icon! :wink:

starsgoblue said:

I really think that when Bono spoke of Johnny during the Boston DVD it was a very touching moment. And that version of "In A Little While" is my favorite. :heart:

Actually, that was dedicated to Joey, who listened to "In a Little While" just before he died back in 2001. Johnny only passed two days ago. Of the four main members only Tommy is left, though Marky and others still remain.

Legendary

I grew up with U2, where as my brothers generation grew with the Ramones...for him there is a loss that I cannot yet relate to.
I developed a late but great appreciation for their contriubtion to the punk rock genre. It is truly a sad day when what you lived for as a teenager is slowly dying before your eyes.
(It's a lucky thing that the guys I fell in love with are still drinking from the fountain of youth ;) )

How cool is that? That all those fans got to show their appreciation to him that last time, and that he go to hear it, is really fantastic.
lots of class, thats so great to see

ya.. my older brother really started me off on punk rock..
while friend my age thought Ziggy Stardust was a member or rainbrow bright.. I really was getting David Bowie and then also the Ramones, the Smiths etc.. then the Neil Youngs and Leonard Cohens, Velvet Underground and a little later to U2 .. while my tastes have expanded to include new folks and music as well.. that kind of soundtrack growing up plays a big part in what I consider good music today..

Out of that
I recall the Ramones for being able to take lyrics that might have seemed complelty ridicolous and blast them out into a song that I just could never get out of my head

It was Joey Ramone that Bono kept dedicating his rendition of "In A Little While" to during the Elevation tour. :wink:

It apparently was the song Joey was listening to right before he passed from the earth.:yes:

How very touching and symbolic it must have been for Bono to know that one of his all time musical "heroes" loved one of his songs so much that it transitioned him(Joey) on his eternal way Home.:hug:

IN A LITTLE WHILE....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom