The production on Mercy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Mercy - great song! But the production is so bad, it is painfull to listen to sometimes. I don't know if it's just the copy I have but the intro is louder than the rest of the song when the keyboards kick in. I think it has to be re-recorded to be put on an album.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed to death already!

considering the song wasn't meant to be released yet, I dont think the version we have is quite finished.

You can tell as soon as the song starts that it's not a mastered version, instead of silence as the instruments come in there's a buzz in the background. If this was a version intended to be released, that wouldn't be there. Enjoy it for what it is, a leaked half-finished work in progress. :)

Uh, yeah, it's obviously not a final master. And the quality of the rip or whatever isn't fantastic. But I'm just glad we have it at all, it's one of the best songs U2 has ever written :love:

yes, I'm on the Mercy bandwagon, so sue me :wink:

I wonder how long it's going to take for someone to request the file. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes, that volume discrepancy at the beginning is a bit annoying. But I'm just glad to have the song!

SiW87 said:
My copy sounds actually really, really good . :shrug:

And yes, it is quite possibly amoung the greatest U2 songs ever done.

yeah it actually sounds quite good on my headphones :drool: especially compared to the bootleg I was listening to, lol.

There are two versions of Mercy floating around, one is a slightly cleaned up version, same song but has some of the annoying buzz removed, that's what I have.

Oh and someone also made an edited version that's like a minute shorter, guess that makes three versions.

Am I allowed to gush about how great Mercy is in this thread?? :drool:

Zootlesque said:

Sure. :wink: It is after all an excellent song! :up:

You're silence searching for a sound.

:hyper:

I love that lyric. "You're gravity searching for the ground/You're silence searching for a sound." :drool: some of my favourite lyrics ever.

I posted this in another thread but I'm going to post it here too because we're talking about Mercy:

I had to do a presentation on a "poet" for English and I chose Bono (of course) and we had to read our favourite poem (or lyrics in this case) and at the time I was infatuated with Mercy, so I was like "And so I'm going to read the lyrics to Mercy, good look finding the song 'cause it's not on any album or anything" and everyone was like ":huh:" so I tried to explain how I got it through a U2 fansite from some people that had downloaded it from someone who had gotten the CD from a friend who had gotten the CD from Bono and everyone was even more like ":huh:"

Man I love Mercy's lyrics. They go on for a bit but the song is really, really brilliant and I'll be sad if it doesn't appear on an album just 'cause it leaked...the only people who have or even know of the song are diehards, so I wouldn't think that would be enough to stop U2 from putting it on an album? We'd all buy it anyway.

AtomicBono said:

I had to do a presentation on a "poet" for English and I chose Bono (of course) and we had to read our favourite poem (or lyrics in this case) and at the time I was infatuated with Mercy, so I was like "And so I'm going to read the lyrics to Mercy, good look finding the song 'cause it's not on any album or anything" and everyone was like ":huh:" so I tried to explain how I got it through a U2 fansite from some people that had downloaded it from someone who had gotten the CD from a friend who had gotten the CD from Bono and everyone was even more like ":huh:"

Yes, that was one sentence! :wink:

the tourist said:

I always thought it was "violence" and not "violins".

I think it's violins since Nero played violin at the fall of Rome, or something like that...I should know this :huh:

when i was ripping the stitches
i've got two cents to rub
i'm diggin the ditches
of someone else luck

Great, great song, but we can't say the production is poor when it isn't even officially released yet. I really, really can't wait to hear a released version of this in pristine sound quality. It could be the Bad of the next album.

Aaah, man...you know you get those songs which remind you of a person, this one is high on the list!! :huh:

I just LOVE the music to it! Amazing bass that really goes well with the guitar! I cannot put into words how much I love the music, the vocals! PLUS, the lyrics are superb! Simply brilliant. I didn't think they'd be capable of writing such lyrics after I heard half of HTDAAB. Takes me back to the time this song leaked. The skies were orange, and it was always hot yet misty and I would have this song in my head ALL the time when I was cycling walking places.

Can't wait for them to release a proper version. With the right production, it could sound fucking AMAZING, pardon the french...I can hear the delay they use on the vocals and it really makes them sound so much better!

I hate to say this, but I'm afraid the band won't put a song this long or "different" on an album at this point. I would love it to take over the world and become, if not a hit song, a favorite of U2 album listeners, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Personally, I would rather it stay a secret than have the band re-record it and shorten the length or water it down. The song is PERFECT in my opinion, and that long build up is what makes it so powerful. To me it already is the modern Bad.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. If U2 can't recognize how important this track is, they are fucking crazy.

lazarus said:
I hate to say this, but I'm afraid the band won't put a song this long or "different" on an album at this point. I would love it to take over the world and become, if not a hit song, a favorite of U2 album listeners, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Well, I don't know if it will ever be a hit or anything, but I doubt the band has any problem putting a song of this length on the next album. In its current form, it runs about six and a half minutes. City Of Blinding Lights is a little under six minutes on HTDAAB. We're not talking that much longer here.

It's probably no coincidence that COBL is my favorite song of off HTDAAB. I seem to go for the lengthy epics more than anything else from U2. Think of the long classics they've done - Bad, One Tree Hill, Mothers Of The Disappeared, Hawkmoon 269, Zooropa, COBL - some of the best songs ever. Mercy continues that trend magnificently.

I was just listening to it again and thought about Lazarus' statement. What I regard as U2's two best songs ['Zooropa' and 'Lemon'] are 'lengthy' tracks. Zooropa is exactly the same as Mercy's current state at 6:31 and Lemon is 7 minutes!!

While they were never official singles (Lemon being that 10" yellow promo and Zooropa having a Radio edit sent out to various stations) they still do no harm to the album they're on at those times!

Like phanan, I've always been fond of lengthy epics partly because I don't notice how long they go on for. It took me years to actually realise how long Lemon was, same with Mercy. I don't think U2 would be taking a risk to put the track on their next record.

I think they've had the last 5-6 years recording and releasing music with the aim of making it more single/radio friendly (see; ATYCLB, they recorded that with the aim of making every track good enough to be a single) so I think it's time they took a breath of fresh air and stuck this on the next album without caring what people say. It's big, it's epic, it's an amazing tune and beats half of their last album by a mile! :up:

I think they defininitely realize how special this song is....It was Bono who told me to watch out for Mercy, its one of his favorites..... :)

yeah, and how the hell did you end up with it?! i still dont get what happened. . .

next time anyone meets any member of the band, you better tell them that everyone LOVES the song Mercy and that they need to release it officially and play it LIVE. if they ever play it live it will be up there with Streets, Bad, With or Without You, and Mysterious Ways. . . really really good!

lazarus said:

Personally, I would rather it stay a secret than have the band re-record it and shorten the length or water it down. The song is PERFECT in my opinion, and that long build up is what makes it so powerful. To me it already is the modern Bad.

:yes:

I actually limit myself from listening to this song too much. If I ever lose that feeling it gives me then I would be very sad.

It is brilliant!!

Back
Top Bottom