The producers mistake on SYCMIOYO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

POP-ROMANCER

War Child
Since I bought my copy of the bomb I am ennoying about a mistake in 'sometimes'. First I thought it was just in MY copy, but now I listened to it on u2.com it's the same.
Just on the beginning of the song, when edge strikes the first strings it's not clear. It looks like he mis hit a note. Is it only me who discovered this. Is it just a mistake from their producers? I think it is....

No, it's ok... remember what Edge said on DVD?
That it was Bono's idea, Edge said "It's illegal...musicaly illegal, but it works for the song"... or something like that.

Oh, I saw dvd but didn't see it and my english isn't very good. But I think it son't work for the song at all. It's ugly...

I heard that too, to me it sounds like Edge is playing the right chord but he seems to not grasp the strings enough and so that "thwang" sound gets out.

bathiu said:
No, it's ok... remember what Edge said on DVD?
That it was Bono's idea, Edge said "It's illegal...musicaly illegal, but it works for the song"... or something like that.
I don't they were referring to that, though. They were talking about the chord progression in the song, and Bono played an A7 after an A, and it worked.

The mistake being talked about i believe is a little buzz you hear from a string on an accoustic guitar when the note is not completely fretted. Although most of the guitar you're hearing in the Sometimes intro is electric, there sounds like there is an accoustic guitar in the background for texture or whatever.

Maybe that was all the guitar playing Bono did on the album that we heard about :D

It's done on purpous... And it's not the first time anyone ever recorded that "effect". You can clearly hear it on All I Want Is You as well. I think it's nice. :yes:

being a guitar player, i can tell you that it's not done on purpose. as has already been mentioned, it's a simple matter of edge not fully fretting the individual string. the same thing happens at the beginning of "in a little while", though the slight distortion makes it harder to discern in that song. often times, bands will elect to use the not perfect take because it adds some believability to a song, making the artist look more personal than say, the teen pop music that you hear that is musically flawless (though not particularly any good).

james

^

I'm also an guitar player. And we're saying the same thing really.. Just in another way, James U2.
My 'On purpose' means he intended to play that note that way, not fretting tha string fully. Cause you can choose if you want to do that or not. Obviously they liked that, and kept it. If not, there's no reason for the "mistake" to be in the song.

That probably doesn't make sense, but i guess we agree so it's ok! :wink:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:
^

I'm also an guitar player. And we're saying the same thing really.. Just in another way, James U2.
My 'On purpose' means he intended to play that note that way, not fretting tha string fully. Cause you can choose if you want to do that or not. Obviously they liked that, and kept it. If not, there's no reason for the "mistake" to be in the song.

I thought he muted the note deliberately.

Doesn't sound deliberate, I just listened to the similar instances from All I Want Is You, In A Little While, and a second time it happens in Sometimes. Just sounds like a little flub to me that they did not remove. It's only as annoying as fret noise when they're switching chords, not a big deal, and gives the recording a bit of character I suppose. If there is any doubt that the noise on Sometimes was unintentional, just keep listening further on after Bono sings "Tough....", it happens again but in a different place, so it's just inncodental IMO./

Canadiens1160 said:
Doesn't sound deliberate, I just listened to the similar instances from All I Want Is You, In A Little While, and a second time it happens in Sometimes. Just sounds like a little flub to me that they did not remove. It's only as annoying as fret noise when they're switching chords, not a big deal, and gives the recording a bit of character I suppose. If there is any doubt that the noise on Sometimes was unintentional, just keep listening further on after Bono sings "Tough....", it happens again but in a different place, so it's just inncodental IMO./

Exactly. Its a little mistake that means nothing. Anyone who thinks U2 or any band makes mistakes on purpose for a record is nuts.

Another mistake that I'm not sure a lot of people are aware of is edges slide guitar during "kite.' Early in the song (I think right at the beginning of the first chorus), Edge hits the not too late. This isn't ruining the song or anything, but it definitely isn't "perfect."

I'm just listening to Brooklyn Bridge concert and it really sounds better live (I'll do some research also with DVD single :wink: )

funny thing is, they could've easily fixed it if they wanted to...lord knows they heard it.

maybe when they did that particular take it was some sort of meaningful moment in the studio and that they didnt want to lose the spirit of that moment?

jeez, there is so much about the album that smells of over-production, I think this one can slide.

just being honest.

U2DMfan said:
maybe when they did that particular take it was some sort of meaningful moment in the studio and that they didnt want to lose the spirit of that moment?

jeez, there is so much about the album that smells of over-production, I think this one can slide.

just being honest.
Over produced???No where near as over produced as UF,and that has some corkin' tunes:applaud:

hey you migth be correct:ohmy: what mistakes the producers can make on that song!!!!!
i was listining and i just heard a cat:scream:
it's only mee who discover this?????:coocoo:

oops it was the cat of my neigbor:crack:
oh well here i go again trying to found out a new and completly original mistake on the album:banghead:

U2DMfan said:

just being honest.

True I also think some songs are overproduced. There´s less feeling on that record, some arrangements are not easy-going-logical at all (not that they were supercreative not-easy stuff, U2 are Poprock after all), ..I don´t really like the production, imo they fucked it up a little.

Back
Top Bottom