The Problem of the Beach Clips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
XHendrix24 said:

The same people who compose and perform a soundtrack for movies that don't exist, maybe?

:hmm:

:lol: So true! That really is the point, you know.

To be honest, I'm really surprised people are still arguing with Bonochick over this thread. :huh:

Last edited:
goincommando said:
I wouldn't doubt there being a OS2 sometime in their future career. I mean come on. Who names an album Orignal Soundtracks...1, without their being follow-up's?
Well, there already has been a follow up of sorts, though it was called The Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. Some would argue this was even more of a departure in the sound of U2 than was OS1 at the time. 'Stateless' - recorded amid the recording for ATYCLB, remains U2's most evocative song since The Joshua Tree and Rattle&Hum recordings.
As much as I'd like the guys to try a song differently, or see what this button does and what not, I think they've slid into a comfortable posistion as mid 40 rockers pumping out guranteed hits. In the words of Dr. Dre, they're "rapping for the pop charts."
In some senses, U2 has just become too good. They now actually understand the music they are making, and how it is put together. Their songwriting is technically much better now, which can take away some of the mystery. Here's a thought experiment for those who want U2 to "experiment" again (in quotes because I think the word is being misused by the vast majority - U2 is still experimenting, now with their sound wrapped around traditional pop compositions).... Ah! Where was I? Oh yes, the thought experiment....

Imagine if U2 had never released (but had still privately recorded) any of the albums after Achtung Baby, and then released all of them at the same time...let's say....yesterday. Now, there are no dates on these records, no liner notes. Just the CD's. Put yourself into this picture, this scenerio, if you will. Now, you press play on the very first album you pick. It turns out your are listening to Bomb. You have never heard Zooropa or Pop or ATYCLB or Passengers, or anything put out by the band since 1991. Achtung Baby was, indeed, the last album you heard by them. Now, what do you think of the album? Now put in Zooropa. What do you think of the album? Both great, I'm sure....but which one do you like more? How about Pop and ATYCLB? How about OS1? You have just heard 5 albums back to back that you have never heard before. The first U2 music to your ears since Achtung. How do you rank the albums?

It's difficult not to be biased. We do have history on our side (or against us, as the case may be), afterall. I decided to edit out the purpose of this thought experiment because upon typing it out, I realized it would influence the thought experiment. Enjoy! :wink:

Last edited:
I posted in other threads that I feel people's appreciation of Achtung Baby is unfairly biased by the (the stories of the) circumstances under which this album was made (the "dreaming it all up" & departure from the 80s sound blahdiblahdeblah) and the performance of the Achtung songs + impact of the ZOO TV tour

I would be very interested in the outcome of your experiment
I tend to name my top 3 U2 albums as 1. Unforgettable Fire 2. Zooropa 3. ATYCLB
if I were to follow your experiment I don't doubt the numbers 2 and 3 of that list would change places

I don't think the experiment will work on this forum though because people don't seem able to just listen to music without the distractions available

Salome said:
I posted in other threads that I feel people's appreciation of Achtung Baby is unfairly biased by the (the stories of the) circumstances under which this album was made (the "dreaming it all up" & departure from the 80s sound blahdiblahdeblah) and the performance of the Achtung songs + impact of the ZOO TV tour

I would be very interested in the outcome of your experiment
I tend to name my top 3 U2 albums as 1. Unforgettable Fire 2. Zooropa 3. ATYCLB
if I were to follow your experiment I don't doubt the numbers 2 and 3 of that list would change places

I don't think the experiment will work on this forum though because people don't seem able to just listen to music without the distractions available

i completely agree that zoo tv made achtung

Actually Achtung made ZooTV possible. Image that entire media barrage that happened and try to apply it to ATYCLB or HTDAAB, wouldnt work. You needed a rockin album to make it possible.

Dont drop in here enough as I have just latched onto the beach clips. Mmmmmm I think "I believe" probably is their best musical performance in a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time. Wait until some producer comes along and fuc#s it up as they did on their previous album. Credit where its due....I didn't think U2 were still capable of a song like this. Sounds great! I hope its not part of some crappy idea to release a total best of with a couple of new tracks. Material as good as "I Believe" deserves a place on a proper album.:wink:

phillyfan26 said:

i completely agree that zoo tv made achtung
Yeah, I have to admit that is true, you're both right, but I think that when the final lyrics and the final ideas for the album came out, the idea of a tour and a concept like ZooTv already existed in the plans of the band. So, there's no such innocence in Achtung Baby related to the tour.

Just keep listening to the beach clip of 'I believe' and it sounds atmospheric. Beautiful sounding guitars, great drums, a real good feel to the song. The best U2 song I have heard in years BUT this will not make it as it is on to an album cos the U2 of today don't release music like this anymore. There is NO CHORUS or should I say NO OBVIOUS CHORUS which, in my opinion is no bad thing. BUT if Lilywhite gets his hands on this track there is no doubt he will fuc#ing ruin it. If this is signs of the new album and how it will sound then it will blow the last 2 tame efforts out of the water. BUT, U2 don't make raw music anymore...they seem to feel, or should I say their producers seem to feel, that it needs repetitive choruses. So having heard this as it is now I just wonder whether it will surface on a new album or be changed beyond recognition, only time will tell. As it sounds now, this song is better than anything U2 have done since 1997.:wink:

Larry, how about doing some LOVE YOU LIKE MAD CHORUS STYLE DRUMMING on the next cd. That would add to the mighty fine drumming on 402. :wink: :mad:

Screwtape2 said:

Yeah, I mean Adam's bass playing is getting better and The Edge is Edge. Larry has stepped up. So it all rests on Bono. You are one hundred percent right about BIno's lyrics. There is this huge drop off from Pop and ATYCLB. Songs like ABOY, One Step Closer, Wild Honey and so on, are some examples of where Bono's lyrics fall flat. I don't know what Bono can do either.

I think Edge has sounded weaker IMO. I'm not a drummer so I couldn't tell you what I think of Larry. Adam is Adam. Bono IMO has been hit or miss lyrically with misses being so blatantly bad, that it overshadows some songs IMO. This is just my opinion about U2's recent output in the 2000 era.

dont compare that fart song LAPOE to a legend rock song like Whole lotta love!!
EDGE cant even play the main riff to that song let alone the solo!!
(yes u2 covered that song) and edge had no clue!!!

Back
Top Bottom