The prick of an old rose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADecentMelody

War Child
Finger's still red
With the prick of an old rose

What do you guys envision/feel when you hear this lyric? What do you think Bono's referring to? I really like the can you hear the drummer slowing part as it relates to the song's subject matter. A very touhing sentiment.

Last edited:
Bono's Doll said:
He is thinking of something that hurt him deeply & still does when he refers back to it.

Ahh, very nice interpretation. And additionally, because he used a rose, the hurt must have been bittersweet or a good thing that turned bad.

At first my impression was :huh: because I only knew "prick" as name calling someone.

It's probably meant as a part of the sensual, physical word the character is leaving.

I am personally confused about the "I'm hanging out to dry, with my old clothes".

U2girl said:
I am personally confused about the "I'm hanging out to dry, with my old clothes".

You have to remember this is a song from the point of view of his father as he lay in his deathbed. He's going through his life like old photographs. The reference to hanging out to dry with my old clothes is an expression of being withered and having lived a long life, being in the final stages of his life.

It's also his father losing his faith in his latter stages and being one step closer to knowing for sure. Hopefully, he regained that faith as the drummer's slowing...

this song is written from Bono's father's perspective. About losing faith in God as you continue on with age, nearing death closer each day.

All lyrics should be considered to taken from the father's perspective.

starsgoblue said:
A rose is a living thing of beauty...it's beauty can fade and despite it's attractive appearance it can harm if you clutch it too tightly and don't handle it with tenderness.

My thoughts.

Nicely put stars. I think this is the most underrated song on the album. It has a power that most people completely skip right over due to the soft nature of the song.

starsgoblue said:
A rose is a living thing of beauty...it's beauty can fade and despite it's attractive appearance it can harm if you clutch it too tightly and don't handle it with tenderness.

My thoughts.

Really nice interpretation. Put into context of the song, and the earlier interpretation as well, I think it adds a whole new depth and appreciation.

I love this song dearly, having had many disappointments and hardships throughout my life (I'm Bono's age) and have found a haven for my faith in "not knowing" in this song.:angel:

While this song was written for Bono's da, it has meaning for anyone who has ever faced a major disappointment and/or disaster in their life and has not known what to do and/or what to believe anymore in life.

It is a SONG/PSALM OF CHOOSING TO FIND SOLACE IN LIFE'S QUESTIONS AND TRUST THAT LIFE WILL PROVIDE THE RIGHT ANSWERS at the appropraite time.

"One Step Closer to Knowing" is a beautiful song - a song actually of hope and not despair, but because of its soft nature (I like that description) and its serious message, this song is probably the most underrated song on HTDAAB.:tsk:

Thanks for this thread and all the wonderful posts.

THANK YOU, BONO....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

I'm happy to say that I was attracted to this song right off and had it on repeat during the first few days that I owned it! :yes:

Many people panned it, but I found it to be an oasis between Crumbs and Original. It has the kind of subtlety that "When I look at the world" has. It doesn't blow you away, but it's good. And unlike "WILATW" it doesn't have to try to wake up the back side of the album, like WILATW was supposed to. (IMO ATYCLB's biggest problem is that the 2nd half just isn't very rousing) And since it doesn't have to rescue the back side of the album it's free to be what it is. If Yahweh didn't exist, this would be the coda like Mother's of the Disappeared, MLK, Grace or the Wake Up Dead Man.

To answer the original question... :D (I get sidetracked too easily)

I agree that it's from his Dad's perspective, and the Old Rose is all the hurts that we hold onto throughout life. It could be that he lost his wife at a relatively young age and can't see what it's all for. Or it could be that his boys didn't love him well enough, or it could be other unimaginable slights and disappointments. Bono reminds him (or himself) that hurt is still preferable to being numb, or being dead.

It's a common theme through the album and a theme that I think is important to remember when things are going sour. It can't always be wonderful, and yet there is purpose in the pain. Without the pain, we wouldn't know pleasure. We wouldn't appreciate it when things are good.

starsforu2 - excellent interpretation. :wink:

A very good song will provoke some very good ideas about it.

And "One Step Closer to Knowing" is one of those songs.

TAKE ME TO THAT OTHER PLACE....:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom