The POP Celebration Thread ~ This album always re-awakens the rabid U2 fan in me!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's true they didn't play much of Pop on the last tour (though I think nothing outside of Please would have fit on Vertigo tour), Elevation saw 5 Pop songs played and yet it was the supposed "Pop damage control" era.

Zootlesque said:
Just because we haven't seen many appreciation threads lately aaand cos the poll for this album is going on currently and I'm guessing people are in the mood for it.......

1. This is an appreciation for the album only, not Popmart.
2. This is not a POP vs. ATYCLB or POP vs. HTDAAB thread.
3. This is not a POP vs. ATYCLB or POP vs. HTDAAB thread.
4. This is not a POP vs. ATYCLB or POP vs. HTDAAB thread.
5. This is not a POP vs. ATYCLB or POP vs. HTDAAB thread.

6. I do like the album in general (like said a zillion times), I do like the unique sound (from crashing guitars, driving rythm to the low-fi production). It is impossible NOT to compare the album to its predecessor and its sucessor – because that's the way the story goes. That's the way to really judge artistic life and creative evolution.

7. POP as a complete album has its own story to tell, is not "only" a bunch of songs, but may be held the last album, U2 have recorded, that can stand as one. I do love all of the songs on the album – yes, all of them.

8. POP has shown, that experimenting a lot, doesn't do fine for the band. The more sonically difficulty, the more impossibility to play the stuff live. And the album has shown, that Bono's once so powerful and intense voice & style of singing changed radically, also because of a real damaged throat, whyever. And it has shown, that the light of writing poetry in him got dimmer ...

9. POP is the most stupid name, anybody could have found as a label to this album – putting the band, thinking about the stage performance, in the chains to be funny, ridiculous, topping ZOO TV, performing as apes, in orange rubbish staff, with over sized cowboy hats, criticizing the consumer's society, while on the other hand enjoying it – hm, did anybody get this? Crap ...

10. POP is not a masterpiece – and never will be. RIP

ZOOTVTOURist said:
Yeah, leave this album, where it's now – in the shelves, where U2 bury songs, they don't want to play anymore. Don't misunderstand me: I do apreciate POP very much (as written here a thousand times before), I think, it has some of the best tunes, U2 have written – and even the setlist wise lacklustre tour had its astonishing moments.
But I don't wish U2 will return there with full conscience: POP stands for an unfinished album (please do NOT re-record it!, stands for U2 having lost any studio discipline & artistic control because of the tour tp be confirmed & to play, stands for Bono & the band the most ridiculous Tour concept of all times, being a damage to what U2 are ...
Best idea: Take some tunes, re-arrange them for the gigs – and play them from time to time. That would be great – and would do justice to the album and the fans, who'd like to hear something from this wannabe-masterpiece. But before, the band might rehearse tunes like "The Unforgettable Fire" or "God Part II" – these tunes are much more important to be played and far, far better ...

epic_fail.jpg

Does anyone know where I can buy non-DRM MP3s of U2 tracks in the UK? 256k min?

I want to get LNOE single version & Holy Joe guilty mix ( I think I have this on Discotheque CD single, but I can't find it!)

Back
Top Bottom